Tuning TMC Tuning Box

Currently reading:
Tuning TMC Tuning Box

Hi all

Not long got myself a 500 abarth so far loving the little thing but could do with a bit more power, i was looking at the tmc box as I could be removed for warrenty issues, but wanted to know if the garage can tell if one has been used even after it's removed?

thanks

Hi all

Not long got myself a 500 abarth so far loving the little thing but could do with a bit more power, i was looking at the tmc box as I could be removed for warrenty issues, but wanted to know if the garage can tell if one has been used even after it's removed?

thanks

Welcome to the forum simot.

I haven't got an A500 but I have the T-jet engine in a Mito 155TB which has been tested by a Dutch tuning company and gives 162bhp in 'standard' tune.

Adding a Tuning box from the likes of TMC is quite popular. I've been lead to believe that there's no 'evidence' of it been installed. There is a 'newer' type just needing 2 connections as opposed to three and there's a youtube on how you fit it yourself. Some have changed the boost gauge to a mechanical one since the standard one wouldn't read the boost correctly afterwards. Some test figures have been 'published' on the increase in power in terms of bhp & torque comparing a standard A500, A500SS and a A500 with a TMC. The only concern I would have is the torque figure with both the SS & the TMC giving 238Nm & 242Nm. The published figures for the SS is 230Nm but there is 'leeway' in the ''ceiling figure' for the C510 of 201Nm. I can post the link if you are interested or if you can't find it.

Hi

Thank you for the welcome and reply :)

It was just the warrenty i was worried about the power figures are not quite as important really, thank you for your help :)

Hi all

thanks

2nd attempt. :)

If you develop a whine in your gearbox the techicans will know that you've fitted a tuning box and them you warranty is gone.

Some who fit the tuning box keep it to themselves. Recommended that the oil interval changes are changed to 6K intervals same as the esseesse.

A BMC air filter should make a difference and should not affect the warranty. I use a K&N (it was cheaper) and it felt a little better.

There are other things that you can do to 'fine-tune' the T-jet that wouldn't affect your insurance but would affect the warranty on the car.

Hi, I've just been reading your post as I'm trying to get ideas as to what to do to my Fiat Bravo sport, and would just like to ask if the K&N air filter gives it much noise?
However in reply to your thread, as far as I've heard the they can't tell, I'm just worried as i don't see how it can be better than a remap... :s

Oh and Welcome!! :)

is a remap not better in the sense of performance? cause its more tailored??

yes if its a custom map done on a rolling road by a good company, but there are very few sellers of remaps that come under that category these days.

it up to people what is better for their needs

box can be re-sold or reprogrammed for next car, but avoid unknown brands

custom remap better gains and power can be put where you need it and it can be tailored to work with other mods.

doorstep remap 200-300 quid for some thing you can often do your self for about 30 quid

Hi, I've just been reading your post as I'm trying to get ideas as to what to do to my Fiat Bravo sport, and would just like to ask if the K&N air filter gives it much noise?

I take it that you have the T-jet 150bhp which is the same state of tune as the MiTo 155TB. The K&N is only one third the thickness of a paper filter so it's more free flow but doesn't give the same protection. It gives a little induction noise. Some fit the BMC and the one that's listed for the Corsa is the same one but only cheaper. Debatable if it's worth the £40 for the extra 1-2 bhp but at least it has no insurance impact like an open cone.

Another mod that some do is to fit a crankcase breather. Note that you'll need a 28mm one to fit unlike the A500 which takes a 25mm. In addition it is in breech of current regs but it will pass an MOT. This gives a 'hiss' when you're changing gears (blow off valve) and it's more pronounced if you're in Sport / Dynamic mode.

Welcome to the forum Kimusubi007.
Which model do you have ?

Sorry peeps,

from sydney, australia, have a manufacture Nov. 2011 Abarth 500 esseesse, i've added a few bit's like: Sabelt racing seats, HID lights, White esseesse wheels, TMC Tuning Box and TMC Induction kit, plus a few other bits and pieces.

Can give you the low down on these mods as have been running them for around 3 weeks

Sorry peeps,

from sydney, australia, have a manufacture Nov. 2011 Abarth 500 esseesse, i've added a few bit's like: Sabelt racing seats, HID lights, White esseesse wheels, TMC Tuning Box and TMC Induction kit, plus a few other bits and pieces.

Can give you the low down on these mods as have been running them for around 3 weeks

You've done a lot to your esseesse - I take it that you got it standard and you added the 'bits' to it. The only thing missing is possibly a mechanical boost gauge to keep the boost below 1.2 bar to safeguard the life of the turbo. Understand that the setting for the esseesse model on the TMC is 6 as opposed to 7 on the standard model. Oil changes at 6k or less and I would probably consider using the best class IV synthetic oil you could get a hold off. Amsoil do a 5w40 which is in breech of warranty on A500 but is 'allowed' on a 155TB. Might also consider changing the oil on the c510 gearbox like some of the track guys do. Although the M32 on the bigger T-jets haven't had a good track record.

Enjoy. Wouldn't mind seeing a few pictures when you get a chance.

Im from melbourne and has just purchased an abarth 2011 SS. Ive got a cold air ram intake coming soon, but looking at doing a few other things which wont avoid warrenty, would the TMC Tuning boxes be ok?

Sammy, everyone I know who has fitted the TMC box has been delighted with the performance gains.

Unfortunately (probably the wrong word) when added to the SS the power gains are not as significant A$ for A$ as on the standard A500, something like 10BHP compared to 25BHP due to it's already remapped ECU.

Still an excellent addition for the money.

Regarding the warranty, if the box and/or wiring harness are on the car when you take it in for servicing/warranty then technically if the warranty is anything to do with the powertain it would be up to the dealer having a modicum of common sense to decide if it was relevant to the fault.

Best idea is to remove it and the harness before taking to the dealers, after all it is only half an hours work at most.

Sammy, everyone I know who has fitted the TMC box has been delighted with the performance gains.

Unfortunately (probably the wrong word) when added to the SS the power gains are not as significant A$ for A$ as on the standard A500, something like 10BHP compared to 25BHP due to it's already remapped ECU.

Still an excellent addition for the money.

Regarding the warranty, if the box and/or wiring harness are on the car when you take it in for servicing/warranty then technically if the warranty is anything to do with the powertain it would be up to the dealer having a modicum of common sense to decide if it was relevant to the fault.

Best idea is to remove it and the harness before taking to the dealers, after all it is only half an hours work at most.
That sounds awesome thanks so much for the info!

Car is due in for a service soon so looks like ill be making an order and putting those bad boys on after the service ;-) Which places do you recommend buying the TMC Tuning Box?

Cheers

That sounds awesome thanks so much for the info!

Car is due in for a service soon so looks like ill be making an order and putting those bad boys on after the service ;-) Which places do you recommend buying the TMC Tuning Box?

Cheers

Hi Sammy, best to google for suppliers in your neck of the woods but if you have any problems contact Daron at TMC Motorsports, (see link below) as they ship worldwide.

http://www.tmcmotorsport.com/AbarthTuningAccessories.aspx

If you do buy direct then tell him you are from the Fiatforum as he has previously given a small discount to members.

Back