Register Login
Mr FIAT - Your #1 source for vintage car parts
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-09-2012   #16
aka tony
 
grimwau's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 5,779
Thanks: 374
Trader Rating: 0
grimwau will never be forgotten
grimwau has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: TMC Tuning Box

Sammy, everyone I know who has fitted the TMC box has been delighted with the performance gains.

Unfortunately (probably the wrong word) when added to the SS the power gains are not as significant A$ for A$ as on the standard A500, something like 10BHP compared to 25BHP due to it's already remapped ECU.

Still an excellent addition for the money.

Regarding the warranty, if the box and/or wiring harness are on the car when you take it in for servicing/warranty then technically if the warranty is anything to do with the powertain it would be up to the dealer having a modicum of common sense to decide if it was relevant to the fault.

Best idea is to remove it and the harness before taking to the dealers, after all it is only half an hours work at most.
__________________
Fiat Abarth 595 Turismo MTA (the one on the right)
Picture taken at the 2013 New Forest Xmas Meet.
grimwau is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 12-09-2012   #17
aka whitebravo
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,325
Thanks: 29
Trader Rating: 0
wegi has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: TMC Tuning Box

Quote Originally Posted by grimwau View Post
Best idea is to remove it and the harness before taking to the dealers, after all it is only half an hours work at most.
Try 5 minutes.
__________________
Bravo 1.4 T-Jet 150 Sport SOLD!
_________________________
wegi is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 12-09-2012   #18
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Essex/Suffolk border
Posts: 82,846
Thanks: 1462
Trader Rating: 10
dave has donated!
dave is an official FF Advertiser
dave is an honorary friend of the forum :)
United Kingdom 
Re: TMC Tuning Box

Quote Originally Posted by wegi View Post
Try 5 minutes.
you must have one of them instant boiling water things? rest of us who still have to boil kettle cant do any job in 5 minutes
__________________
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it.”
dave is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 13-09-2012   #19
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 9
Thanks: 0
Trader Rating: 0
Australia 
Re: TMC Tuning Box

Quote Originally Posted by grimwau View Post
Sammy, everyone I know who has fitted the TMC box has been delighted with the performance gains.

Unfortunately (probably the wrong word) when added to the SS the power gains are not as significant A$ for A$ as on the standard A500, something like 10BHP compared to 25BHP due to it's already remapped ECU.

Still an excellent addition for the money.

Regarding the warranty, if the box and/or wiring harness are on the car when you take it in for servicing/warranty then technically if the warranty is anything to do with the powertain it would be up to the dealer having a modicum of common sense to decide if it was relevant to the fault.

Best idea is to remove it and the harness before taking to the dealers, after all it is only half an hours work at most.
That sounds awesome thanks so much for the info!

Car is due in for a service soon so looks like ill be making an order and putting those bad boys on after the service ;-) Which places do you recommend buying the TMC Tuning Box?

Cheers
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

SammyBDJ is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 13-09-2012   #20
aka tony
 
grimwau's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 5,779
Thanks: 374
Trader Rating: 0
grimwau will never be forgotten
grimwau has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: TMC Tuning Box

Quote Originally Posted by SammyBDJ View Post
That sounds awesome thanks so much for the info!

Car is due in for a service soon so looks like ill be making an order and putting those bad boys on after the service ;-) Which places do you recommend buying the TMC Tuning Box?

Cheers
Hi Sammy, best to google for suppliers in your neck of the woods but if you have any problems contact Daron at TMC Motorsports, (see link below) as they ship worldwide.

http://www.tmcmotorsport.com/AbarthT...cessories.aspx

If you do buy direct then tell him you are from the Fiatforum as he has previously given a small discount to members.
__________________
Fiat Abarth 595 Turismo MTA (the one on the right)
Picture taken at the 2013 New Forest Xmas Meet.
grimwau is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 13-09-2012   #21
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 3,759
Thanks: 241
Trader Rating: 0
loveshandbags has donated!
Ireland 
Re: TMC Tuning Box

Quote Originally Posted by SammyBDJ View Post
Im from melbourne and has just purchased an abarth 2011 SS. Ive got a cold air ram intake coming soon, but looking at doing a few other things which wont avoid warrenty, would the TMC Tuning boxes be ok?
The turbo on the A500 is a VL37 and on the SS map it's well past it's max. If you were looking to run more boost I would possibly look a getting a hyprid turbo as opposed to changing it to one of new Garretts like on the AGP esseesse model. The C510 gearbox is also well past it's rated limit. Personally if I had an esseesse map I would leave it standard but would possibly consider the CAI.
__________________
Still a 500 enthusiast.
loveshandbags is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 13-09-2012   #22
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Hertfordshire
Posts: 249
Thanks: 2
Trader Rating: 1
Jonjo has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: TMC Tuning Box

Quote Originally Posted by loveshandbags View Post
2nd attempt.

If you develop a whine in your gearbox the techicans will know that you've fitted a tuning box and them you warranty is gone.

This isn't true. Gearboxes can still whine without a tuning box.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

Jonjo is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 14-09-2012   #23
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 3,759
Thanks: 241
Trader Rating: 0
loveshandbags has donated!
Ireland 
Re: TMC Tuning Box

Quote Originally Posted by Jonjo View Post
This isn't true. Gearboxes can still whine without a tuning box.
Have you driven or owned any A500 with a whine in the gearbox and if so what was the mileage and what year were they ?
__________________
Still a 500 enthusiast.
loveshandbags is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 14-09-2012   #24
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Hertfordshire
Posts: 249
Thanks: 2
Trader Rating: 1
Jonjo has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: TMC Tuning Box

Quote Originally Posted by loveshandbags View Post
Have you driven or owned any A500 with a whine in the gearbox and if so what was the mileage and what year were they ?
Nope, have owned a GPS with TMC tuning box fitted though.
If a gearbox whines a mechanic is not automatically going to say "you had a tuning box on here your warrenty is void"

The simple fact is there is no way to tell its ever had a tuning box connected once its been removed.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

Jonjo is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 14-09-2012   #25
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 3,759
Thanks: 241
Trader Rating: 0
loveshandbags has donated!
Ireland 
Re: TMC Tuning Box

Quote Originally Posted by Jonjo View Post
Nope, have owned a GPS with TMC tuning box fitted though.
If a gearbox whines a mechanic is not automatically going to say "you had a tuning box on here your warrenty is void"

The simple fact is there is no way to tell its ever had a tuning box connected once its been removed.
It wouldn't be up to the mechanic to decide. Ultimately you'll end up dealing with Fiat CS. Decision will be with them. If you bought the car from new and you had rigorously followed the recommended service schedule you might stand a chance. But if you bought the A500 secondhand it might have a different outcome.
On a 2009 supposedly standard A500 with 23K that I was interested in it had a whine in the gearbox but it had a lot of 'bums on the seat'.
__________________
Still a 500 enthusiast.
loveshandbags is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Reply
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
(T) Ordered TMC Tuning Box PassaJnr Bravo 9 23-11-2016 16:19
Grande Punto TMC Tuning Box stephens1987 Auction Watch 0 17-02-2012 20:06