General Standard exhaust, good enough for me!

Currently reading:
General Standard exhaust, good enough for me!

I was considering an aftermarket exhaust, love the Monza noise, not keen on the looks or the rust issues. Also like the various stainless options out there, but they all seem rather dear! Anyway, to talk myself out of it, i stuck my DSLR to the back of my windscreen and off i went!

I've done videos like this before, but my DSLR has quite a good mic, and i was surprised how good it picks the sound up! Must admit, the stock exhaust sounds very good, it roars and gargles and backfires. It has a very unique sound, I'm sticking with it (y) (unless the Monza's are being cleared with some 90% off :eek:)

http://youtu.be/rsT_Ax3e8Ho

I would recommend anyone with an A500 who's considering a new exhaust, just to be patient with the stock exhaust, build some miles up and run the car in and the sound will transform over time! :)

I'm pretty happy with the sound of the standard exhaust, especially at tickover and would probably replace it with another standard version. With as so many new exhausts being replaced with Monzas and the like there will probably be a good assortment on nearly new S/H ones for sale at reasonable prices.

I can imagine the exhaust on the Abarth is pretty good as standard and restriction certainly wouldn't be an issue.

Fools and their money are easily parted, make something shiny, a bit better and give it a nice name and people will buy :)

Never understood the whole noisy exhaust thing anyway. Had a custom backbox done for the Subaru a couple of years ago when one of the little peashooter tailpipes rusted off and it just allows you to hear a bit of a warble and it's a tiny bit noisier but on the motorway it's not noisy and it's comfortable to drive.

If I ever got another backbox for the 500 I think I'd just get something stainless which is no noisier or not much more noisier than standard. Nothing worse than a tiny little non-turbo 4 pot with a farty exhaust.

Personally I went for the monza from new because i loved the sound on the dealer car I was driving:) Of course DF, what they DIDNT have was a 30k car on stock exhaust to show the difference:rolleyes:

In the vid yours sounds awesome (oh, as I said yesterday!) so good man(y)

I also happen to like the look of the 4 pot exhaust, just a personal opinion!!! And I like the noise, hey we only have 1 life so lets enjoy the little bits we can (like the totty in the Fezza photo at Brooklands).

When I specced up the car I set myself a budget and kept to it, although at the time being a bit of a new buyer was not aware of the non Abarth stuff available, but I wanted a nice motor for me!! (Yup, it's all about me!!)

Anyway, loving the car, and the noise, and everything else that goes with these little beasts:)

The standard exhaust sounds like a wet fart, or to be less cruel a diesel on idle :p

The back box is massively restrictive & of a poor design, plus weighs lots.:eek:

The Monza is way over priced & looks unresolved, 4 pea shooter exhausts in 2 large round openings, from a cohesive design point of view it's poor & rusts way too quickly as it's made of mild steel.:yuck:

BTB exhaust all the way, looks better, much better construction from a much higher quality material stainless steel that will not rust, has proven performance gains & made by a company who make Andrew Jordans BTTC car exhaust, the prototype Nissan GTR exhausts, the first silenced Ferrari Britcar 24H to loose no power over unsilenced exhaust and meet tougher noise regs etc etc:idea:

Not all aftermarket stuff is just about looks.:yum:

The standard exhaust sounds like a wet fart, or to be less cruel a diesel on idle :p

The back box is massively restrictive & of a poor design, plus weighs lots.:eek:

The Monza is way over priced & looks unresolved, 4 pea shooter exhausts in 2 large round openings, from a cohesive design point of view it's poor & rusts way too quickly as it's made of mild steel.:yuck:

BTB exhaust all the way, looks better, much better construction from a much higher quality material stainless steel that will not rust, has proven performance gains & made by a company who make Andrew Jordans BTTC car exhaust, the prototype Nissan GTR exhausts, the first silenced Ferrari Britcar 24H to loose no power over unsilenced exhaust and meet tougher noise regs etc etc:idea:

That's told us then:(

I followed a esseesse through Dublin City centre last month with a Monza on the back and the sound was awesome (you pick up some new words - tourist season and all). A Stainless steel job makes sense if you plan to keep the car possibly on a classic car. But a lot of guys are buying their Abarths on Finance or plan to get rid of them in 3 years regardless. So the standard metal will do the job. Looking at the Monza I get the impression that 2 of the pipes are not going through the silencer. Anyway for me with just a standard 1.4 500 I would be very happy with just the standard exhaust. Beggars cann't be choosers. :)

Last edited:
That's told us then:(

That's what i thought, bubble burster :cry:

I have not heard Johnl's in the metal, seen the video and the pics though and i appreciate the quality. But it's still quite expensive. I know you get what you pay for with stainless, but i think one chap got a stainless system with a lifetime warranty for just over £500.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Usingmotorwaysandroads/Reducingroadcongestionandpollution/DG_10025601

74 decibels.

Hi,

I wondered if you are running this exhaust still, though i appreciate this thread is quite old! if so can you help me out here? https://www.fiatforum.com/abarth-500/425940-abarth-esseesse-btb-exhaust.html

Back