Register Login
Shop4Parts - UK's largest online superstore for FIAT and Alfa Romeo parts

Old 07-04-2011   #16
Trader Rating: 0
multispoke has donated!
Ireland 
Re: Spare wheel or not?

On the 2009 funk 500 that I got this week it has a spare wheel. I was told that it was an optional extra that year - so I'm lucky to have it. I was thinking about taking it out altogether and just leaving an Aerosal puncture repair aerosol in the boot. I would put the spare wheel & kit back in for a run down the country (which is only occassionally). Alternatively I could buy the compressor kit (around 110) that I had on the 08 1.4 that is much lighter than the optional spare. Given that the 500 1.4 has a keen weight of 930kg I would like to keep it as light as possible. m I mad buying a repair kit ? I was looking at increasing the power to weight ratio so I thought it might make sense.

multispoke is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 07-04-2011   #17
multispoke has donated!
Ireland 

Quote Originally Posted by multispoke View Post
On the 2009 funk 500 that I got this week it has a spare wheel. I was told that it was an optional extra that year - so I'm lucky to have it. I was thinking about taking it out altogether and just leaving an Aerosal puncture repair aerosol in the boot. I would put the spare wheel & kit back in for a run down the country (which is only occassionally). Alternatively I could buy the compressor kit (around 110) that I had on the 08 1.4 that is much lighter than the optional spare. Given that the 500 1.4 has a keen weight of 930kg I would like to keep it as light as possible. m I mad buying a repair kit ? I was looking at increasing the power to weight ratio so I thought it might make sense.
I just realised that I'm in the Abarth forum. Is this something that would be of interest to the 500 forum ?

Old 19-04-2011   #18
multispoke has donated!
Ireland 

I just realised that I'm in the Abarth forum. Is this something that would be of interest to the 500 forum ?
I have removed the spare wheel and the jack etc and I'm now just carrying an aerosal can. The exra boot space is useful. And the car feels a little lighter particularily on the back end . Reckon around 10kgs lighter but I haven't weighted it.
I have attached a pic of the 'spare' wheels that I have. Standard 500 spare is 14 x 135/80 whilst the red one is off a Marea and is T125/80 R15 95M (stud holes seem to be in the same place). The Marea spare wheel seems higher off the ground at 58cms. Would this wheel not be an ideal spare for an Abarth given that the majority of them are 17s. When the Marea goes to the scrappie I might keep the 'spare' bits. Just need to work out the portable 'jack' problem.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Spare 1.JPG
Views:	23
Size:	1.35 MB
ID:	89537  

Old 19-04-2011   #19
STOP! Hammer time!

306maxi has donated!
United Kingdom 

I have removed the spare wheel and the jack etc and I'm now just carrying an aerosal can. The exra boot space is useful. And the car feels a little lighter particularily on the back end . Reckon around 10kgs lighter but I haven't weighted it.
I have attached a pic of the 'spare' wheels that I have. Standard 500 spare is 14 x 135/80 whilst the red one is off a Marea and is T125/80 R15 95M (stud holes seem to be in the same place). The Marea spare wheel seems higher off the ground at 58cms. Would this wheel not be an ideal spare for an Abarth given that the majority of them are 17s. When the Marea goes to the scrappie I might keep the 'spare' bits. Just need to work out the portable 'jack' problem.
The fact that one wheel is bigger than the others makes no difference when using it as a spare. The circumference of the tyres on any 500 whether it be running 14" wheels or 17" wheels from the factory is near as makes no difference to equal.

306maxi is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 19-04-2011   #20
multispoke has donated!
Ireland 

Quote Originally Posted by 306maxi View Post
The fact that one wheel is bigger than the others makes no difference when using it as a spare. The circumference of the tyres on any 500 whether it be running 14" wheels or 17" wheels from the factory is near as makes no difference to equal.
I would have thought that if you have a blow out on your front wheel that it would be best to put the good wheel from the back on the front and then the spare at the back. I would have thought that any differences in wheel sides on the front interfere with the traction control / electronics. Realise that you wouldn't be exceeding 50 or should I say 40mph and that the spare is only so that you can 'limp' home.

Old 19-04-2011   #21
STOP! Hammer time!

306maxi has donated!
United Kingdom 

I would have thought that if you have a blow out on your front wheel that it would be best to put the good wheel from the back on the front and then the spare at the back. I would have thought that any differences in wheel sides on the front interfere with the traction control / electronics. Realise that you wouldn't be exceeding 50 or should I say 40mph and that the spare is only so that you can 'limp' home.
and how is having a bigger, yet still not wide enough spare going to change things

Old 19-04-2011   #22
multispoke has donated!
Ireland 

and how is having a bigger, yet still not wide enough spare going to change things
There are plenty of threads on the other Abarth forum where there are a LOT of calculations on getting a spare wheel that is near to the size of the existing wheel. I get the impression that if the height of the spare wheel is different to the 'normal' wheel it seems to confuse the electronics of the car when it's on the front. Now, if I had an Abarth I would go out and test it tonight with the spare wheel from the 500 and the Marea but unfortunately I haven't got an Abarth . But I might have a spare wheel for it and been bigger and a bit wider than the 500 spare wheel I thought it might be a better bet if the car had the 17s.

Old 19-04-2011   #23
STOP! Hammer time!

306maxi has donated!
United Kingdom 

There are plenty of threads on the other Abarth forum where there are a LOT of calculations on getting a spare wheel that is near to the size of the existing wheel. I get the impression that if the height of the spare wheel is different to the 'normal' wheel it seems to confuse the electronics of the car when it's on the front. Now, if I had an Abarth I would go out and test it tonight with the spare wheel from the 500 and the Marea but unfortunately I haven't got an Abarth . But I might have a spare wheel for it and been bigger and a bit wider than the 500 spare wheel I thought it might be a better bet if the car had the 17s.
*sigh*

Whatever the size of the spare you don't want to be driving in a manner which is going to be causing the traction control to work when you've got a space saver. The only way to go if you're serious is a full size spare.

Old 19-04-2011   #24
multispoke has donated!
Ireland 

*sigh*

Whatever the size of the spare you don't want to be driving in a manner which is going to be causing the traction control to work when you've got a space saver. The only way to go if you're serious is a full size spare.
Emotion suits you Maxi. I really think you a nice guy (on the right days of
course !) .
Remember on the Abarth forum, 500 rules don't apply on driving styles .

Old 20-04-2011   #25
STOP! Hammer time!

306maxi has donated!
United Kingdom 

Emotion suits you Maxi. I really think you a nice guy (on the right days of
course !) .
Remember on the Abarth forum, 500 rules don't apply on driving styles .
Whatever...... anyone who drives in such a way that their TC needs to kick in whilst they've got a bicycle tyre on any corner is an A-grade moron.

Old 20-04-2011   #26
multispoke has donated!
Ireland 

Whatever...... anyone who drives in such a way that their TC needs to kick in whilst they've got a bicycle tyre on any corner is an A-grade moron.
If I was driving an Abarth in wet conditions or with a spare on I would have the TTC engaged. This as you know is not engaged by default when the car is started (something that I learned after driving one). But then you probably already knew that from the one you have driven . In relation to the TC kicking in if TTC is not engaged and the wheel slips you will feel the wheels kicking similiar to a broken CV joint. The spare that I was considering using if I had a flat has much better road surface (its flat) compared with the standard 500 spare (which has a round surface area resulting in minimal road contact). The Marea appears to be a much better spare that having to resort to a full size wheel or even the 500 spare.

I hope you're not implying that I'm an A-grade moron.

Last edited by multispoke; 20-04-2011 at 12:18. Reason: .
Old 20-04-2011   #27
STOP! Hammer time!

306maxi has donated!
United Kingdom 

If I was driving an Abarth in wet conditions or with a spare on I would have the TTC engaged. This as you know is not engaged by default when the car is started (something that I learned after driving one). But then you probably already knew that from the one your have driven . In relation to the TC kicking in if TTC is not engaged and the wheel slips you will feel the wheels kicking similiar to a broken CV joint. The spare that I was considering using if I had a flat has much better road surface (its flat) compared with the standard 500 spare (which has a round surface area resulting in minimal road contact). The Marea appears to be a much better spare that having to resort to a full size wheel or even the 500 spare.

I hope you're not implying that I'm an A-grade moron.
Firstly the bicycle tyre on the 500 is a 14" which I'm fairly sure wouldn't fit over the front calipers on an Abarth, so you'd have to put it on the rear where traction control wouldn't be an issue. It is for this reason that Abarth's come with the puncture repair kit anyway.....

The bicycle tyre is meant purely to get you home and is not meant to be used in a spirited manner in any way shape or form. If someone chooses to drive in a spirited manner on a space saver which is going to get ESP, TTC or ABS working then they're a moron. Make of that what you will!

Getting back to Grimwau's original post, I can't help but think that a possible answer would be a set of winter wheels (15" fit I think) with one of them kept in the car as a spare when the summer tyres are on. You're unlikely to ever need it of course, but at least if you need it then you're not limited to ridiculously low speeds. Of course there's the advantage of having winter tyres.

Old 20-04-2011   #28
multispoke has donated!
Ireland 

The Marea spare is a 15 inch. Has a 'width' of 40cm as opposed to 37.5cm and it also fits perfectly in the boot of the standard 500. I would be amazed if it does not clear the calipers of the Abarth.

In a trip down to see my dad who lives down in the 'The West of Ireland' my wife's mito hit a 'crater' on a bank holiday weekend. We had to use the 'spare' to get home. This was exactly a 'walk in the park' given that we had 150 mile to get home.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	In the boot.JPG
Views:	21
Size:	1.24 MB
ID:	89639  

Old 20-04-2011   #29
STOP! Hammer time!

306maxi has donated!
United Kingdom 

The Marea spare is a 15 inch. Has a 'width' of 40cm as opposed to 37.5cm and it also fits perfectly in the boot of the standard 500. I would be amazed if it does not clear the calipers of the Abarth.

In a trip down to see my dad who lives down in the 'The West of Ireland' my wife's mito hit a 'crater' on a bank holiday weekend. We had to use the 'spare' to get home. This was exactly a 'walk in the park' given that we had 150 mile to get home.
But you're speed limited on that wheel. The point that Grimwau was trying to make in his OP was that if he could get something that was at least a much closer match to the standard wheels on his Abarth then he could proceed fairly unhindered.

Old 20-04-2011   #30
multispoke has donated!
Ireland 

But you're speed limited on that wheel. The point that Grimwau was trying to make in his OP was that if he could get something that was at least a much closer match to the standard wheels on his Abarth then he could proceed fairly unhindered.
I would intend keeping to the speed restriction on the spare. There is a lot I can still do up to 50mph (on the back wheel of course)

Hopefully someone with an Abarth will be able to confirm if the Marea spare wheel will clear the calipers. If this spare doesn't fit it can go with the car into the scrappie.