General Spare wheel or not?

Currently reading:
General Spare wheel or not?

I would have thought that if you have a blow out on your front wheel that it would be best to put the good wheel from the back on the front and then the spare at the back. I would have thought that any differences in wheel sides on the front interfere with the traction control / electronics. Realise that you wouldn't be exceeding 50 or should I say 40mph and that the spare is only so that you can 'limp' home.

and how is having a bigger, yet still not wide enough spare going to change things

and how is having a bigger, yet still not wide enough spare going to change things

There are plenty of threads on the other Abarth forum where there are a LOT of calculations on getting a spare wheel that is near to the size of the existing wheel. I get the impression that if the height of the spare wheel is different to the 'normal' wheel it seems to confuse the electronics of the car when it's on the front. Now, if I had an Abarth :yum: I would go out and test it tonight with the spare wheel from the 500 and the Marea but unfortunately I haven't got an Abarth :cry:. But I might have a spare wheel for it :) and been bigger and a bit wider than the 500 spare wheel I thought it might be a better bet if the car had the 17s.

There are plenty of threads on the other Abarth forum where there are a LOT of calculations on getting a spare wheel that is near to the size of the existing wheel. I get the impression that if the height of the spare wheel is different to the 'normal' wheel it seems to confuse the electronics of the car when it's on the front. Now, if I had an Abarth :yum: I would go out and test it tonight with the spare wheel from the 500 and the Marea but unfortunately I haven't got an Abarth :cry:. But I might have a spare wheel for it :) and been bigger and a bit wider than the 500 spare wheel I thought it might be a better bet if the car had the 17s.

*sigh*

Whatever the size of the spare you don't want to be driving in a manner which is going to be causing the traction control to work when you've got a space saver. The only way to go if you're serious is a full size spare.

*sigh*

Whatever the size of the spare you don't want to be driving in a manner which is going to be causing the traction control to work when you've got a space saver. The only way to go if you're serious is a full size spare.

Emotion suits you Maxi. I really think you a nice guy (on the right days of
course !) :).
Remember on the Abarth forum, 500 rules don't apply on driving styles :D.

Emotion suits you Maxi. I really think you a nice guy (on the right days of
course !) :).
Remember on the Abarth forum, 500 rules don't apply on driving styles :D.

Whatever...... anyone who drives in such a way that their TC needs to kick in whilst they've got a bicycle tyre on any corner is an A-grade moron.

Whatever...... anyone who drives in such a way that their TC needs to kick in whilst they've got a bicycle tyre on any corner is an A-grade moron.

If I was driving an Abarth in wet conditions or with a spare on I would have the TTC engaged. This as you know is not engaged by default when the car is started (something that I learned after driving one). But then you probably already knew that from the one you have driven :rolleyes:. In relation to the TC kicking in if TTC is not engaged and the wheel slips you will feel the wheels kicking similiar to a broken CV joint. The spare that I was considering using if I had a flat has much better road surface (its flat) compared with the standard 500 spare (which has a round surface area resulting in minimal road contact). The Marea appears to be a much better spare that having to resort to a full size wheel or even the 500 spare.

I hope you're not implying that I'm an A-grade moron.

Last edited:
If I was driving an Abarth in wet conditions or with a spare on I would have the TTC engaged. This as you know is not engaged by default when the car is started (something that I learned after driving one). But then you probably already knew that from the one your have driven :rolleyes:. In relation to the TC kicking in if TTC is not engaged and the wheel slips you will feel the wheels kicking similiar to a broken CV joint. The spare that I was considering using if I had a flat has much better road surface (its flat) compared with the standard 500 spare (which has a round surface area resulting in minimal road contact). The Marea appears to be a much better spare that having to resort to a full size wheel or even the 500 spare.

I hope you're not implying that I'm an A-grade moron.

Firstly the bicycle tyre on the 500 is a 14" which I'm fairly sure wouldn't fit over the front calipers on an Abarth, so you'd have to put it on the rear where traction control wouldn't be an issue. It is for this reason that Abarth's come with the puncture repair kit anyway.....

The bicycle tyre is meant purely to get you home and is not meant to be used in a spirited manner in any way shape or form. If someone chooses to drive in a spirited manner on a space saver which is going to get ESP, TTC or ABS working then they're a moron. Make of that what you will!

Getting back to Grimwau's original post, I can't help but think that a possible answer would be a set of winter wheels (15" fit I think) with one of them kept in the car as a spare when the summer tyres are on. You're unlikely to ever need it of course, but at least if you need it then you're not limited to ridiculously low speeds. Of course there's the advantage of having winter tyres.

The Marea spare is a 15 inch. Has a 'width' of 40cm as opposed to 37.5cm and it also fits perfectly in the boot of the standard 500. I would be amazed if it does not clear the calipers of the Abarth.

In a trip down to see my dad who lives down in the 'The West of Ireland' my wife's mito hit a 'crater' on a bank holiday weekend. We had to use the 'spare' to get home. This was exactly a 'walk in the park' given that we had 150 mile to get home.

Attachments

• In the boot.JPG
    In the boot.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 68
The Marea spare is a 15 inch. Has a 'width' of 40cm as opposed to 37.5cm and it also fits perfectly in the boot of the standard 500. I would be amazed if it does not clear the calipers of the Abarth.

In a trip down to see my dad who lives down in the 'The West of Ireland' my wife's mito hit a 'crater' on a bank holiday weekend. We had to use the 'spare' to get home. This was exactly a 'walk in the park' given that we had 150 mile to get home.
But you're speed limited on that wheel. The point that Grimwau was trying to make in his OP was that if he could get something that was at least a much closer match to the standard wheels on his Abarth then he could proceed fairly unhindered.

But you're speed limited on that wheel. The point that Grimwau was trying to make in his OP was that if he could get something that was at least a much closer match to the standard wheels on his Abarth then he could proceed fairly unhindered.

I would intend keeping to the speed restriction on the spare. There is a lot I can still do up to 50mph :) (on the back wheel of course)

Hopefully someone with an Abarth will be able to confirm if the Marea spare wheel will clear the calipers. If this spare doesn't fit it can go with the car into the scrappie.

Discs are the same size. Don't know about calipers doubt there would be much need for bigger calipers on the smaller 500.
Front discs are bigger on the Abarth, but the rears are the same as those on the rear of a 1.4 or the front of a 1.2

The biggest front discs on the Marea seem to be 257mm and the Abarth ones are 284mm. It's not just the size of the discs either, it can be the offset of the wheel, the distance between the caliper and the inner face of the wheel.

Anyhoo even if it did fit it's still a space saver and you're still limited to 50mph and you're only meant to drive on it for a very short distance.

Full size spare > slightly smaller width but same diameter tyre > bicycle tyre > tyre spunk.

Well, I've decided that I will look for a set of 16" wheels and use them with whatever winter tyres are available at the appropriate time of year but carry one as a spare on journeys (as well as a jack) .

Thanks to everyone for their advice. (y)

Well, I've decided that I will look for a set of 16" wheels and use them with whatever winter tyres are available at the appropriate time of year but carry one as a spare on journeys (as well as a jack) .

The only thing I'd say about 16" wheels is that winter tyres in 195/45 r16 are as rare as rocking horse poop.

3 sets of 16" Abarth wheels for sale on the Abarth forum (y)

http://www.abarthisti.co.uk/classifieds/

Back