General Nordic abarth owner

Currently reading:
General Nordic abarth owner

Re feeling the weight reduction of a lighter exhaust system I have removed the 10kg spare wheel & jack and in a 100bhp 930kg standard 500 I can feel the difference. It's probably why I only half fill the tank to save all that extra weight but I haven't resorted to not carrying passengers yet.:)

I suspect there's probably a large degree of placebo effect at play there. I reckon if you did a blind test you probably wouldn't notice the difference.

Just get the Akrapovic exhaust for the Abarth for a similar price - stainless steel and carbon fibre sleeves on the tailpipes

Looks pretty special

www.akrapovic.com

With the optional bypass valve it's quite expensive as I understand, the system is delivered with a block-off pipe as standard.

Nevertheless, if there where a termignoni system... :devil:

Thats Jon's car, my father in law. It was the development car for BTB & the AVO monotube coil over suspension, the valving was set by Andy Dawson the Technical Advisor (amongst many many other things) to Abarth on the Trofeo race series last year, and friend of 35+years to Jon. Hence why we did a little work with Abarth last year on the Trofeo race series.

The electronic by pass valve by Akropovic adds something like £500 which is mad. BTB will build a system without the boost activated exhaust system for less than the £899. The actuator works on a vacuum pipe taken from the inlet manifold so reacts instantly to boost changes above 0.5bar. Though any turbo charged car has an element of noise suppression as the exhaust gases have to pass through the turbo 1st.

To give you an example of the high esteem the BTB is held in, Clio 182 owners will pay £350 for a 2nd hand BTB before paying £350 for a brand new Miltec or Scorpion.

Thats Jon's car, my father in law. It was the development car for BTB & the AVO monotube coil over suspension, the valving was set by Andy Dawson the Technical Advisor (amongst many many other things) to Abarth on the Trofeo race series last year, and friend of 35+years to Jon. Hence why we did a little work with Abarth last year on the Trofeo race series.

The electronic by pass valve by Akropovic adds something like £500 which is mad. BTB will build a system without the boost activated exhaust system for less than the £899. The actuator works on a vacuum pipe taken from the inlet manifold so reacts instantly to boost changes above 0.5bar. Though any turbo charged car has an element of noise suppression as the exhaust gases have to pass through the turbo 1st.

To give you an example of the high esteem the BTB is held in, Clio 182 owners will pay £350 for a 2nd hand BTB before paying £350 for a brand new Miltec or Scorpion.
Hmmmm interesting. Just looked on their site and they do Subaru Grp N stuff. I really fancy putting a nice exhaust on the Subaru when we get it sorted :D

and you get a job. :D

How's the search going by the way, I know arorat is very keen for you to get one soon. ;)

Well I've got an interview tomorrow afternoon and Friday afternoon. We'll see what happens. Would be nice to move house, I feel a right twonk changing the wheels on the 500 in the street :p

Got the record monza installed today, the standard backbox was really stubborn. Some well weighted swearwords, one hour of wiggling and one blue thumb later it was out :D. Fitting the RM was a doodle in comparision, took about 10 minutes. I have to say, this is the proper backbox for this car (y).

Did this myself, just needed ramps under rear wheels to get axess.

Allso been thinking a bit about the spring restrainned flap valve thingy, it does whave a very short stroke, I'm shure the type of wastegate actuator i posted previously would cope with that. the spring har allso surprisingly hard preload. I might buy a boost actuator and replace it later. Should be a days work or so..

I now have a car that is better than an essesse i believe, for less money :)

Better rubber perhaps..:rolleyes: and proper boost by-pass :)

Last edited:
Got the record monza installed today, the standard backbox was really stubborn. Some well weighted swearwords, one hour of wiggling and one blue thumb later it was out :D. Fitting the RM was a doodle in comparision, took about 10 minutes. I have to say, this is the proper backbox for this car (y).

Did this myself, just needed ramps under rear wheels to get axess.

I now have a car that is better than an essesse i believe, for less money :)

Better rubber perhaps..:rolleyes:

After all the 'discussion' the Monza is resonably priced since you're not paying another £250-£350 for a 'bypass'. It will be interesting to see if you 'feel' the extra 5bhp. For me in Ireland - the salt isn't a big issue since our winters have been generally quite mild.
I understand that it takes a few days for the exhaust to settle down. Hopefully you will do a youtube clip when you're ready. :)

On the 'better rubber' - have you seen the recent 'tyre' discussion. :)

Last edited:
"Reasonable prized", I dunno.. But the RM has some heritage, and in my point of view, the 4 pipes is a must have, too mad to pass :D (can't believe I passed 40 years old.. lol)

Don't quite fancy the akrapovic open/close system, I want dynamics in tune with what the engine demands.

The boost operated bypass I have in mind could be quite sophisicated with some care. The pressure line could have a sort of check/bleed valve that will make the valve open quick but close it slowly. Will investigate this a bit further.

Last edited:
Back