General Nordic abarth owner

Currently reading:
General Nordic abarth owner

Since a spanner is needed to adjust for the 'Spouse test' on these coilovers it's amazing what comes back when you google - 'you're a spanner’ the urban dictionary definition. :)

EDIT:
No pun intended on the above for anyone on the FF :eek:
Just kidding of course, but as we were all in the joking mood.

Last edited:
Oops.. Record Monza is next, sorry :p

Been thinking a bit, the spring flap thing is quite agricultural to say the least, how about replacing the spring with some sorts of wastegate actuator to open the flap (set to about 0.5 bar, connected to inlet manifold pressure)?

Oops.. Record Monza is next, sorry :p

Been thinking a bit, the spring flap thing is quite agricultural to say the least, how about replacing the spring with some sorts of wastegate actuator to open the flap (set to about 0.5 bar, connected to inlet manifold pressure)?

Had a look at the Monza spring mechanism and I thought it was pretty cool. Why would you want to complicate what is essentially a simple 'job' to allow the exhaust output to bypass the silencer ?
My 'memory' of wastegate actuators in an RS was to allow more controlled boost whilst with the exhaust I would be happy to have it either off or on.
Tempting bhp increase despite the mild steel.

Last edited:
In my opinion the spring is a rather crude metod and works against the exhaust pressure. I allso wonder if that sorry spring is up to the job after a winter of salt, snow and muck :eek:

Had a look on ebay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5885fd904b

That thing starts to move at 3 psi, fully open at 7psi (meaning 0.2-0.5 bar). This would mean a true boost controlled opening instead of exhaust pressure doing the work (y)

Wonder how much stroke of that thing has, 0.32mm for shure must be a typo?

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
The spring in the Monza is poor & being made from mild steel rusts normally in the closed position. In fact the whole exhaust rusts with the paint parting company very quickly on the back box.

BTB exhausts do a by pass system which uses a boost controlled actuator to open the by pass valve, & it's all stainless steel so will not corrode like the Monza. Plus it has two great looking tailpipes angled to sit perfectly in the bumper, unlike the ugly 4 pipe Monza that always seems to sit on the ****.

The BTB is also a proper turbo back exhaust system of bigger bore than OEM & has proven performance gains, the Monza is a back box over priced & I don't care what they advertise a back box on an OEM system csnt add much if anything in performance.

Should have added anyone who makes exhausts for BTCC cars, Nissan GTR prototypes, the first silenced Ferrari 360 Britcar 24H to meet noise regs, and not loose power, but most of all built a Lotus Carlton, took it to the USA and competed against the Americans in a crazy no limits road race www.silverstateclassic.com shows the kind of guy the owner is.

I think the boot sticker hints at a very interesting story.

attachment.php

attachment.php

http://www.btbexhausts.co.uk/

The spring in the Monza is poor & being made from mild steel rusts normally in the closed position. In fact the whole exhaust rusts with the paint parting company very quickly on the back box.

BTB exhausts do a by pass system which uses a boost controlled actuator to open the by pass valve, & it's all stainless steel so will not corrode like the Monza. Plus it has two great looking tailpipes angled to sit perfectly in the bumper, unlike the ugly 4 pipe Monza that always seems to sit on the ****.

The BTB is also a proper turbo back exhaust system of bigger bore than OEM & has proven performance gains, the Monza is a back box over priced & I don't care what they advertise a back box on an OEM system csnt add much if anything in performance.

I happen to like the Monza - the look of it and the sound of it and I gave my views on a previous thread.

I have a graph of the proven gains from a Monza (it was in a folder on my laptop - it might have come from the 'other' forum or on the myabarth sites). This clearly shows at least 5 bhp gains - ok - over the OEM exhaust and at one point shows 12bhp gains.

Being mild steel it will be lighter that a Stainless steel exhaust and even those made of the better material have come in for criticism on the quality of material used and if in fact they are actually stainless steel. :confused:
On the issue about the spring and it getting rusty and I have heard of A500 owners having problems with it and it getting stuck. Only impact is a reduction in power back to standard. It wouldn't take much to 'free' it up again.

Moving vehicle 74db
Speed stabilized before acceleration 50db
Stationery vehicle 88db
Taken at 4125rpm apparently:D

Re noise regulations - the Monza sits on the 'edge' and still qualifies.

Attachments

• magnetimarelli.jpg
    magnetimarelli.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
I know some people like the Monza, but it's mild steel rusts, & will blow. Many being replaced in under 6 months for warranty work. I loath the 4 little pipes in two big round bumper cut outs, but then get a company like Magnetti Marelli known for electronics to build an exhaust and maybe that's what to expect. I applaud them for diversifying into other markets now Bosch has sown up the ECU side in OEM cars and Maclaren in F1, what else could they do. Power gains, debatable I'm afraid for a back box overcoming the restrictive pipe in front.

You can't compare a BTB exhaust system to some low end exhaust builder who makes them up from component parts, they really are a work of art hence they build for race & rally teams all over the world. The aftermarket is tiny in comparison.

Weight wise, a full tank of fuel is 30kgs heavier than an empty one, a mild steel exhaust could be 5kgs lighter but going on the OEM box the BTB is no heavier, & doubt the Monza with four pipes will be, but if you can feel aporox 6.5L difference in your fuel tank you'll notice the difference in exhaust weights.

No need to argue, if it was power I was after I'd go for something else.
But I find the 4 pipes, bypass idea on a tiny 1.4 turbo quite hilarious, mad even. As it should be :)

The MM dual mode (now discontinued) is also mild steel.

The Akrapovic system being TuV approved will not release as much power as a UK made system as TuV is restrictive & you can't exceed power increase by certain amount hence why G-Tech in Germany advise their centre pipe with no silencer box is illegal (in Germany) but gives the power increase.

Support UK made excellence, not imported Eastern European stuff.

No need to argue, if it was power I was after I'd go for something else.
But I find the 4 pipes, bypass idea on a tiny 1.4 turbo quite hilarious, mad even. As it should be :)

The MM dual mode (now discontinued) is also mild steel.

I never argue on the FF - but I might be guilty of 'stirring things a little bit'. :) I would error on the side of defending the 'underdog' - kinda foolish - but your posting is refreshing 'quite hilarious, mad even'.(y)

I did contact BTB and they came back with a price of £899 which included fitting. I hadn't realised there was some much research put into getting the 'right sound' where they tuned the sound so that it was loud lower down the rev range and then 'tail off' after 5000rpm. It sounds pretty good as well.

I was very impressed with the akrapovic exhaust and given the modest claims I could see how the Monza bhp claims were questionable. The wireless kit for the bypass sounds pretty clever but given the German strictness on sound regs (J333EVO) flicking a switch for different modes is quite ingenious. I watched the clip for the Posche Panamera and it did sound classy - although I very much doubt their new 'diesel' model with 1.4 economy figures and a 6.8sec 0-60 will sound as good.:)

Re feeling the weight reduction of a lighter exhaust system I have removed the 10kg spare wheel & jack and in a 100bhp 930kg standard 500 I can feel the difference. It's probably why I only half fill the tank to save all that extra weight but I haven't resorted to not carrying passengers yet.:)

Back