Register Login
The UK's No.1 Chrysler Owners Forum

Old 01-02-2011   #16
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: New Abarth ECUs knocking around for sale

Quote Originally Posted by Slowswede View Post
just to let you know, I just fitted what is allegedly (sp?) an SS ecu. got it for about 400. Car goes like stink now, normal mode is realy pleasant now as opposed to the slightly asthmatic feeling it had with the original 135 hp ecu. On sport mode it's the bomb

Installation was easy, had "check engine" message first time i turned the key to "mar" but ignition of and 4-5 pumps of the clutch and ingition on again it was gone. Car started and runs without problems.

There are several people selling them on the italian cinquecenisti forum.

I wonder how they get hold of them. Are the ecu's "re-virginised" from write off SS's? or are they getting them through the back door of abarth spa? Are the ecu's in fact reflashed standard ecu's with a copy of the SS mappings?

Plot thickens. lol

Anyway, so far I'm more than happy, I got an esseesse'd engine for a bargain, money saved for a Bilstein kit I guess, lol
In the Uk some tuners have access to the Essesse map & can simply remap your existing ecu to that

Stuart J is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 01-02-2011   #17
Sweden 

Yes, but as ecu's and bodycomputer "pairs" as I understand it, the ecu I got must be either:
A brand new ecu
A "virginised" second hand ecu
A hacked ecu that doees not bother with the body computer (not likely, car would not work at all if ecu not recognised by body computer and handshakes done properly i guess)

I guess I have to get hold of fiatecuscan to find out if this ecu has been reflashed (seems fiatecuscan can report that).

Will report my findings when i have got my copy of ecuscan (funds permitting)

Slowswede is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 04-02-2011   #18
All go, no show

lewey has donated!
United Kingdom 

I guess I have to get hold of fiatecuscan to find out if this ecu has been reflashed (seems fiatecuscan can report that).

Will report my findings when i have got my copy of ecuscan (funds permitting)
The demo is free and can tell you that. It seems likely the ECUs you have seen are virginised used ECUs from the "EsseEsse upgrade" source". You need to be clever to do that stuff.
Old 07-02-2011   #19
Sweden 

Yes, but need an ELM interface (allready have vagcom kll bits, used it for alfadiag in my old 156). Might just as well buy the whole package I wonder allso if the ecu's are not re-virginised, wonder if they will show a reflash is done if so?

Old 25-02-2011   #20
Sweden 

Ok, got a bt elm interface in the post today, if I can get it to work I'll report what I can find out from the ecu..

Old 26-02-2011   #21
Sweden 

Ok, here are my findings:
Connected ecuscan and took some readings from my "blackmarket" esseesse ecu as installed a few weeks ago
Ecuscan reports the following:
No fault codes (that's god, lol)
ISO code: 7C 86 58 08 37
fiat Drawing number 0261201756
Software number 1037400100
Softare version 0101
Homologation number 7910D8
1 rewrite
odometer 3789,6km (mileage fits with what I done since I swapped to this ecu)
(car has done 14742km according to binnacle (i guess info in binnacle is from body computer)
odometer last programming 0,0 km

as it reports one rewrite, i guess the "blackmarket" esseesse ecu is in fact a re-virginised unit.

I did not know that the engine ecu kept track of odometer reading (kept separate from body ecu..)

If I'll get around to it I'll install the original ecu again and compare if the iso codes, homologation numbers are the same. Perhaps someone with a bone stock A500 could do that?

Last edited by Slowswede; 26-02-2011 at 11:12.
Old 18-03-2011   #22
multispoke has donated!
Ireland 

just to let you know, I just fitted what is allegedly (sp?) an SS ecu. got it for about 400. Car goes like stink now, normal mode is realy pleasant now as opposed to the slightly asthmatic feeling it had with the original 135 hp ecu. On sport mode it's the bomb

Installation was easy, had "check engine" message first time i turned the key to "mar" but ignition of and 4-5 pumps of the clutch and ingition on again it was gone. Car started and runs without problems.

There are several people selling them on the italian cinquecenisti forum.

I wonder how they get hold of them. Are the ecu's "re-virginised" from write off SS's? or are they getting them through the back door of abarth spa? Are the ecu's in fact reflashed standard ecu's with a copy of the SS mappings?

Plot thickens. lol

Anyway, so far I'm more than happy, I got an esseesse'd engine for a bargain, money saved for a Bilstein kit I guess, lol

What are the benefits of an esseessee chip (if you can get one) over a TMC or some other re-map e.g. Angel Tuning ? I have read that the TMC can improve you mpg by a 2-3mpg and with some individuals who have done the esseessee upgrade - they still opted for a TMC because the re-map is different ? A thought was that if you lived the bonnet you would see a TMC but you wouldn't see the 'esseessee re-map'. Didn't realise that the mileage is recorded on the ECU. If a TMC is piggybacked and then taken off is there any record on the original ECU of it being there ? Having got an Abarth yet but after the Twin Air (didn't buy one) is very firmly on the cards now.

multispoke is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 18-03-2011   #23
Official Trader

Trader Rating: 1
United Kingdom 

Quote Originally Posted by dave View Post
maybe the Esse has standard ecu then they take it out the box put a remap on and put it back in same box, and sell it with the kit
The SS ECU is a brand new replacement for the original in the car, the original is taken out but is locked to the car it came off. You will not get it to work on another car.

TMC Motorsport is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 19-03-2011   #24
Sweden 

Quote Originally Posted by multispoke View Post
What are the benefits of an esseessee chip (if you can get one) over a TMC or some other re-map e.g. Angel Tuning ? I have read that the TMC can improve you mpg by a 2-3mpg and with some individuals who have done the esseessee upgrade - they still opted for a TMC because the re-map is different ? A thought was that if you lived the bonnet you would see a TMC but you wouldn't see the 'esseessee re-map'. Didn't realise that the mileage is recorded on the ECU. If a TMC is piggybacked and then taken off is there any record on the original ECU of it being there ? Having got an Abarth yet but after the Twin Air (didn't buy one) is very firmly on the cards now.
A piggyback box (TMC, Marelli etc.) has it's merits, but I'd be wary against the mileage claims as reported by the dashboard/ecu, I suspect the piggyback boxes do "cheat" a little when it comes to injection timing (as the ecu sees things) so the ecu doesn't actually know how much fuel is spent..

I can't say my mileage has got better or worse with my "blackmarket" SS ecu, been between 41 and 44 mpg all the time, it does add up at the pump station too.
Thanks multispoke thanked for this post

Old 20-03-2011   #25
United Kingdom 

I still think as per my earlier post the simplest & safest solution is just to have the SS map flashed onto your ECU, Its tried & tested & works a treat.

Im not sure of how the forum feels about posting company names, I was banned from Abarth-incesty for just such "an offence" but Im happy to answer PM's if anyone wants to do that

Old 20-03-2011   #26
multispoke has donated!
Ireland 
Smile Re: New Abarth ECUs knocking around for sale

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart J View Post
I still think as per my earlier post the simplest & safest solution is just to have the SS map flashed onto your ECU, Its tried & tested & works a treat.

Im not sure of how the forum feels about posting company names, I was banned from Abarth-incesty for just such "an offence" but Im happy to answer PM's if anyone wants to do that
Hi Stuart. I haven't got an Abarth yet but I am actively looking at one and seeing the price of a red 2010 in Scotland they 'went' this morning on ebay it could happen any day. One of the reasons I was interested in the esseesse ecu 's was that I would still have the original and could swap it back in place of the re-mapped esseesse one. I also understand that the original fit ECU is only progammed to fit the car it came in. I get the impression that the ECU records mileage so swapping them in & out would cause anomalies. A point raised on the piggy back model not giving a correct mpg is interesting - I rely on this although I'm aware that it is probably out by 4 mpg - but at least it is consistently out so at least it is still good for comparison. If I am fortunate to get an Abarth at the right price I will definitely look into having the ECU flashed because it will be out of warranty and ideally with another ECU that no-one has an a need for .

multispoke is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 20-03-2011   #27
United Kingdom 

Quote Originally Posted by multispoke View Post
Hi Stuart. I haven't got an Abarth yet but I am actively looking at one and seeing the price of a red 2010 in Scotland they 'went' this morning on ebay it could happen any day. One of the reasons I was interested in the esseesse ecu 's was that I would still have the original and could swap it back in place of the re-mapped esseesse one. I also understand that the original fit ECU is only progammed to fit the car it came in. I get the impression that the ECU records mileage so swapping them in & out would cause anomalies. A point raised on the piggy back model not giving a correct mpg is interesting - I rely on this although I'm aware that it is probably out by 4 mpg - but at least it is consistently out so at least it is still good for comparison. If I am fortunate to get an Abarth at the right price I will definitely look into having the ECU flashed because it will be out of warranty and ideally with another ECU that no-one has an a need for .
On all cars I know of, not just Abarth the Ecu is coded to the car, often coded to the clocks & on cars like BMW the key is coded in as well, (something the bodge merchants forget when clocking beemers)

Based on my experience with VAG cars & Im guessing Fiat are similar (apologies in advance if they are not) you can not simply swap Ecus on the drive without the initial help of a tuner, you need a tuner or similar with the correct software & more importantly skill. You could have a second ECU set to run on your car & have that loaded with the SS map but is it really worth it ??

Its not obvious to me why the piggy back throws the mpg, this is only in my experience usually a problem if you have changed the jets on a car. I can get my Nissan to read 29 mpg but its been upjetted, probably nearer 19 but fun

A remap is IMO always easier as it keeps the rest the same & can you actually see yourself swapping from ecu to ecu. If you ever wanted the std map back on get the tuner to keep a record & it can simply be flashed back on

Old 21-03-2011   #28
Trader Rating: 2
United Kingdom 

The ECU does record mileage, along with a lot of other details (total time spent on rev limiter is one of the important ones) but the ECU is not responsible for displaying the mileage on the dashboard - that is entirely self contained in the dashboard (based on previous experience with Fiats).

If you start swapping ECUs in an attempt to fool the warranty people they will be laughing you out of the building because they only have to compare the ECU mileage with the dashboard. A swap of either would be recorded against the car with Abarth so they know precisely what the values should be.

To the best of my knowledge the ECU is (as pointed out) responsible for the key code security but I am not familiar with the new system or its intricacies. Fiat went through a bit of a bad patch with a "master key" system that has resulted in a lot of cars being scrapped because the cost of replacing the master key included a new ECU and the owner did not feel it was worth it. Later models ditched that system but the fundamental principle remains - same as with almost every other manufacturer today. (Don't know why I'm bothering to regurgitate this here as pretty much everyone reading this already knows the story).
jimbro1000 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 21-03-2011   #29
Trader Rating: 10
dave has donated!
dave is an official FF Advertiser
dave is an honorary friend of the forum :)
United Kingdom 

i thought mileage was stored in body computer not ecu
Thanks multispoke thanked for this post
Old 21-03-2011   #30
aka tony

grimwau will never be forgotten
grimwau has donated!
United Kingdom 

Quote Originally Posted by dave View Post
i thought mileage was stored in body computer not ecu
Same here. Pretty sure one of the techs covered this in another thread.