Technical Abarth 500 Tyres Query

Currently reading:
Technical Abarth 500 Tyres Query

Liney99

Hi,
Wondered if anyone might be able to give me some advice on this one - my Abarth is just a year old and has done 10,700 miles (approx). Over the last few weeks noticed a rubbing noise from the front of the car usually when going in a straight line. :( Also noticed tyres wearing unevenly on the rear. With another issue (turbo light not working) booked it in for warranty check on these 2 items. Garage come back and said can't hear a rubbing noise, just very noisy on the front generally and suggested new tyres. Current front tyres are both 1.6 inner, 2 middle and 3 outer. Rear tyres are off side 4 all over and near side 3 inner, 3 middle and 4 outer. I would have hoped for a bit longer before they tyres needed replacing (which garage says they recomment to change the front 2) and then tracking & alignment etc.
Anybody give me some advice or their mileage before tyres needed replacing. Anybody else experienced this rubbing noise at the front?
Many thanks.:)

Your experience is about level with mine - I had to replace the two fronts at 11000 miles. The ns tyres were more heavily worn thanks to all the roundabouts in the area.

What I found made a real difference to the tyre wear though was one of the suspension bushes failed and had to be replaced - it seriously reduced the life of the tyres and while I had mistreated them a little previously, after the bush collapsed the wear became quite pronounced.

All depends on the kind of roads you drive. For example, my nearest motorway is at least 60 to 70 miles away, the rest of the roads are tight twisty and with a poor surface. My tyres last 3000 to 5000 miles max depending on road conditions and how i drive the car, so the mileage you're getting sounds pretty good to me!

Never had a set of tyres last more than 8k on any car i've owned around here (n)

10700 sounds reosnable, a few have got more but many have got a lot less

Remember ALWAYS put new tyres on the back & move the rears forward. Any garage who dosent do this needs reminding

Vicky Butler wobbly bits explains here [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5YsQ_a_ijA"]YouTube - Vicki Butler Henderson explains why new tyres should go on the rear[/nomedia]

Back