General Abarth 500C Details Announced

Currently reading:
General Abarth 500C Details Announced

Scrogg

Get Your Own Title!
Abarth UK announced this week that the Abarth 500C (along with the Abarth Punto Evo) will be unveiled to the public at Goodwood on Thursday 1st July, and will be launched to the Press week-commencing 12th July, by which time all UK dealerships will have taken delivery of their first showroom and demonstrator models to enable them to have their own launch.

Full pricing, options, colour, interior and alloy wheel availability are attached.

Attachments

• Abarth 500C Price List.pdf
    356.9 KB · Views: 151
Thanks Scrogg.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but am I right in thinking the new C doesn't yet get the multiair engine?

By the time you have added leather, climate and paint to this car it is nudging £20,000.

I actually don't care because it is so obviously no longer intended to be popularly attainable that the price is irrelevant, and the two-tone paint will make it stand out and be a moving ad for Fiat. Many people will be attracted. Fair enough.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but am I right in thinking the new C doesn't yet get the multiair engine?

Not yet. It has the same engine as the current Abarth 500, just cleaned up a bit to meet Euro V emissions regulations.

I stand corrected!

Just looked on the ordering system and Abarth 500C is listed as 1.4 16v T-Jet MultiAir 140bhp...

...so I guess it does? :eek:

Thanks for that. The engine designations are a minefield. I wish Fiat would agree to clarity of nomenclature.

Good review of the Abarth C in Auto Express by the way.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/carrev...sletters&uid=d305c50f0ec97f178814e4e0860e51ed

I actually like the idea that it is comfortable, but I bet the reason was not really to suit women, but to lessen the stress on the holed body.
And it doesn't look like the economy or CO/2 are so great; if it is a Multiair engine? I must check the figures for the Punto Evo...

Last edited:
Thought there would be more of a BHP increase with the multiair. If that article is to be believed the Essesse kit will still top out at 160BHP, making it worse value than it is now :confused:

The A500C isn't getting the multiair for a year or two yet...

Well the ordering system seems to suggest otherwise?

The Product Guide that accompanied the Price List that I posted also confirms the engine as 1.4 16v Turbo T-Jet MTA 140bhp, so looks like you're wrong I'm afraid Draigflag87.

I'm in the process of trimming it down (both to remove 'confidential' information and to get it to a size that can be attached as a .doc or .pdf file) so once I do I will post it for all to see...

This piece states the the Punto Evo DOES have the Multiair, but it doesn't state this emphatically re the Abarth 500c. Instead it says TJet. Why the vagueness?

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default.asp?storyId=21615

Possibly careless reporting, but Fiat is crap at being clear about what engine is what and you have to read the whole spec to find out, and then you're left wondering :(

I think from reading various reports that the 500c is not in fact a Multiair, but I wouldn't be in the least surprised if the importer hasn't got a clue either and has made a mistake with the spec.

PS. Just read your post Scrogg, so in stand corrected, I think. Ahhhhhh!!!!!!

Last edited:
Yea but the MTA adds at least 20% power, and would have better economy too. Most A500's are running much higher than 140 HP as it is. Fiat wouldn't invest millions on MTA engines for 5 HP would they?!
Huh? How does a transmission add power? MTA is the transmission, NOT Multiair.

For someone who is supposedly Abarth mad and keeps up with news your knowledge is patchy isn't it?
It's quite easy to get confused when there is that much info flying around Maxi, i have an extensive insight into all this stuff, if you'd rather i'd not help and let you know what's really happening then just say. MA = Multiar, MTA = gearbox, there's why i fudged it up, an extra T, but if you spotted the mistake then anyone could have done.

The info on the ordering system does sound wrong, everything I've heard and seen from the press releases state the A500c has the MTA gearbox but not the MA engine. The small power increase would seem to be a mapping to counter act the weight of the roof mechanism so it keeps the same top speed/0-62 as the steel top. Bewildered now :)

Actually gone back to the press site and the tech sheet for the Evo has Multiair in it's title and specifies the electrohydraulic goodies in the engine spec where as the A500c doesn't. I suspect someone fluffed adding the details onto the system not the sudden application of the MA engine to the A500c

Yeah, I tend to agree. I think they must have upped the power on the standard engine to offset the weight gain...although not quite managed it.

There's just no way they could only offer 160bhp for the Essesse kit on an multi-air engine.

I would expect the standard A500 multi-air to be offering 150bhp on release.

It's quite easy to get confused when there is that much info flying around... MA = Multiar, MTA = gearbox, there's why i fudged it up, an extra T, but if you spotted the mistake then anyone could have done.

I didn't. I even copied the wrong information :eek: (but hey, I was tired and had a few pints on the way home from work :p )

The Product Guide that accompanied the Price List that I posted also confirms the engine as 1.4 16v Turbo T-Jet MTA 140bhp...

...what I meant to copy was 1.4 16v T-Jet MultiAir 140bhp.

As I said in another thread, speculation and quoting unofficial sources is largely pointless, so can we all just agree to wait until more official information is available rather than just having the usual arguments about who knows more?

Back