General I went for a test drive in an Abarth today

Currently reading:
General I went for a test drive in an Abarth today

RUI

Get Your Own Tile
It was nice but I was disappointed with the speed. I am not sure what the 0-60 is but it did not feel that fast.
I think I am going to stick with the by diesel for now.

Apart from the speed, what did you think to the rest of the car?

The reason it felt slow is because it doesn't really get lively until around 8000 miles, that's the number me and a few other Abarth owners have realised and agreed that it starts to bed in nicely!

The 0-60 time is 7.9 seconds, but once run in you should get it down to 7.3 to 7.5 with ease.

Apart from the speed, what did you think to the rest of the car?

The reason it felt slow is because it doesn't really get lively until around 8000 miles, that's the number me and a few other Abarth owners have realised and agreed that it starts to bed in nicely!

The 0-60 time is 7.9 seconds, but once run in you should get it down to 7.3 to 7.5 with ease.

The rest of the car was almost the same as my by diesel. The rear suspension was good on the limit.

Yes first with the sport button off then with it on.

Last edited:
It was nice but I was disappointed with the speed. I am not sure what the 0-60 is but it did not feel that fast.
I think I am going to stick with the by diesel for now.

It was prob a fairly new car, so won't have been run properly yet. Once over 8k it will feel completely different. Mine now has 163hp and is stupidly quick (y)

Yes first with the sport button off then with it on.

ajay at slough abarth by any chance?....thats how my test drive went-

really thought it was fast, tho the road was so narrow i was very edgy and impression of speed was heightened!

is your bydiesel a 1.2 or 1.4?

i have a 1.2 so maybe seemed faster...(twice the power an all that!!)

It was prob a fairly new car, so won't have been run properly yet. Once over 8k it will feel completely different. Mine now has 163hp and is stupidly quick (y)[/QUOTE

163 bhp?....135 standard but with mods or just loosened up?

I drove my friends Abarth a few weeks ago. It did feel slow.....well its not a hot hatch is it...more of a luke warm hatch IMO. (12000 miles by the way).

However, it still made me smile while driving it.....which is the point of these little cars.

But as mentioned in all topics like this, it depends what you are used to. After driving my 1.3 Diesel an Abarth feels nippy. After driving the Continental after a few hundred miles the Abarth feels like a slug in syrup.

Its the fun factor which counts! (y)

I drove my friends Abarth a few weeks ago. It did feel slow.....well its not a hot hatch is it...more of a luke warm hatch IMO. (12000 miles by the way).

However, it still made me smile while driving it.....which is the point of these little cars.

But as mentioned in all topics like this, it depends what you are used to. After driving my 1.3 Diesel an Abarth feels nippy. After driving the Continental after a few hundred miles the Abarth feels like a slug in syrup.

Its the fun factor which counts! (y)
Yes of course it depends what you're used to, i was just pointing out the fact that a new Abarth does indeed feel slower than a run in one. Mine had delivery miles and i wasn't blown away by the performance initially, but after the miles started creeping up, it started to fly and yes it's a not a hot hatch, but it does still pin you into the seat and feel fast in relation to it's size. I've driven ones with more power which felt slower due to the low mileage. I think the OP is used to a 1.2 by Diesel?

Yes my car is now a 1.2 but My last car had 200bhp and I drive some very very nice cars for my work..
I guess I am familiar with the feel of the 500 and the extra horse power did not make it feel amazing.

I have crossed it off the list and will stick with the 69hp 1.2 By Diesel and also save some money.

Yes my car is now a 1.2 but My last car had 200bhp and I drive some very very nice cars for my work..
I guess I am familiar with the feel of the 500 and the extra horse power did not make it feel amazing.

I have crossed it off the list and will stick with the 69hp 1.2 By Diesel and also save some money.

Each to their own but I sold my 500 1.2 (18,000 miles) and upgraded to an Abarth. IMHO it's in a different league and after 8,500 miles it is loosening up nicely.
The 1.2 is due to be replaced soon, so it will be interesting to see how the little 900cc Turbo performs.

Each to their own but I sold my 500 1.2 (18,000 miles) and upgraded to an Abarth. IMHO it's in a different league and after 8,500 miles it is loosening up nicely.
The 1.2 is due to be replaced soon, so it will be interesting to see how the little 900cc Turbo performs.
This was my feeling after having the 1.4 for a month as a courtesy car. Desperately slow and had a very poor spec. The Abarth felt like an entirely different car, spec, quality and performance wise, it's almost unfair to compare the 2 really. It's only 35 to 50 BHP more (approx) but the difference is black and white. As for the 1.2, well i've only driven that in the Panda and that was a while ago...

Back