General Abarth 500 Real World MPG

Currently reading:
General Abarth 500 Real World MPG

36.7 is my average but that is 5 days of heavy stop start town traffic and weekends of fun! Will happily pootle along at 50 (ie the speed every seems to drive at) and get 49ish without the sport on and 40ish button on right foot planted. Won't come close to the 1.2 but beat my old 159 1.9 quite soundly and is far more fun :)

Quick scout about 36ish seems to be the norm

Last edited:
The fueling isn't so bad its the blasted insurance, I know its a racey styled car but its not that fast, double the insurance rating of a 1.4 sport for 35 extra horses? Bleeding rip off merchants

I've been averaging 41.2 according to the trip computer with the occasional hell for leather blast.

I am guessing your driving style may be more like mine? If so, then even with a heavy right foot, i still averaged 33.74 MPG in the 1st year of ownership over 13161 miles, and if you look at my fuelly page, I've averaged 31.5 MPG for the last 9138 miles. I've done 16k total now and after it's first service, it's more fuel efficient.

Drove to Cheltenham and back at the weekend 325 miles and averaged 36.4 MPG for the whole trip, would have been higher but had to get back so made the most of the empty Welsh roads :devil:

My extremes are 16.5 MPG silly driving
57.9 MPG trying very hard.

Hope this helps (y)

I'm getting around 35mpg. I do a bit of motorway driving and I don't tend to go too slow :devil: Almost always use V-Power, car seems to run a lot better on it.

Hey Draigflag - I'm still pondering whether or not to get a 500 Abarth. I did say that summer was the time to get a new car. Especially now the Stilo JTD is occurring problem after problem and im sick of fixing it :(

Anway; I have a number of cars on my list - most of the Diesel, but i really want a 500 Abarth - even though my girlfriend hates them haha.

Right ive just got a new job and now do 44 miles a day - 220 is a month - and a thousand miles a month.

First question is: I'm thinking it would be daft to get a new car and rack up these miles on it all the time, do you agree?

Second question: Forget MPG - I love a good thrash in the car every now and again - but have been more reluctant due to travel distance these days - so how many miles could i expect to do on a full tank in the Abarth - FULL to EMPTY, if drove properly?

Cheers Mate.

Oakley - Do you mean you would only do 1000 miles a month? Or 1220? I probably do just over 1100 a month as I've done 16060 miles in 14 months, to me that is nothing, my brother does around 20,000 and he is unemployed! (benefits of living in the middle of nowhere hey!?)

Realistically your looking at just over 200 miles a tank, my best was 285 i think. You would only need to fill up once a week if you did 220 miles a week, recently i have been filling up 2 to 3 times a week @ around £45 a time! :(

It all depends on your personal circumstances, what you can afford really, and what you really want. Hope this helps :)

We're getting just over 36 from ours at the mo, but it has only done 350 miles as well! Doesnt seem to bad when occasionally nailing it to race a scirocco :D lol

Oakley - Do you mean you would only do 1000 miles a month? Or 1220? I probably do just over 1100 a month as I've done 16060 miles in 14 months, to me that is nothing, my brother does around 20,000 and he is unemployed! (benefits of living in the middle of nowhere hey!?)

Realistically your looking at just over 200 miles a tank, my best was 285 i think. You would only need to fill up once a week if you did 220 miles a week, recently i have been filling up 2 to 3 times a week @ around £45 a time! :(

It all depends on your personal circumstances, what you can afford really, and what you really want. Hope this helps :)

I do 44 miles a day excluding out of work use. So about 220 miles a week yeah. Which would equal on tank of fuel. Probably two after use outside of work.

Right so lets work some things out lol. I'm really tryna justify buying one as I sooooo want one its unreal.

My current car: Stilo JTD costs about £60 to fill. And I fill up twice a month sometimes two and a half - So like £150 a month. The A500 would probably set me back around £220 a month just on petrol. Let alone insurance and paying for the car. :(

May not be quite realistic just yet. How do you afford to run it so easily? You're only young aint ya?

May not be quite realistic just yet. How do you afford to run it so easily? You're only young aint ya?
Well i don't drink, or smoke, and i don't have a girlfrined (i hear they are quite expensive?) and i still live at home so pay very low rent rates! If you can't afford it, don't push yourself, it would be worse to buy a car and have to part with it after finding out you can't afford to run it.

Expensive?? Not so bad... "I've gone over on my phone bill, can you pay it?" .. "How much..?" .. "£150" ... "Oh FFS!"

Yeah that's were all my hard earned pennies go Lol.

I was hoping for around 300 miles to a tank - makes it sound much more justifiable lol.

I may have lied. Looks more like about 38.1mpg for me. You should be able to get 300 miles out of a tank no problem.

Not quite the same as the 500+ miles I got out of the diesel panda with the same tank capacity. Oh well.

I should be getting 500+ out of my Stilo JTD but it only manages 400ish. Which sucks cause i have it serviced every year without fail.

Ah well, i could like with 300 miles to a tank - some reviews say 320 is max although i doubt you could get this - would mean that i would have to fill up once more than i do now - but at a similar cost due to the cost to fill up. OOOO i like this. All I need now is to find someone who owns on close to me so I can get a ride in it and close the deal.

I should be getting 500+ out of my Stilo JTD but it only manages 400ish. Which sucks cause i have it serviced every year without fail.

Ah well, i could like with 300 miles to a tank - some reviews say 320 is max although i doubt you could get this - would mean that i would have to fill up once more than i do now - but at a similar cost due to the cost to fill up. OOOO i like this. All I need now is to find someone who owns on close to me so I can get a ride in it and close the deal.
Thinking of how many miles you can get from a tank is the wrong way to think about it. You want to think about MPG :) I can get 450 from my 500 but I run it dry and brim it to the top and others actually get better mpg than me.

Thinking of how many miles you can get from a tank is the wrong way to think about it. You want to think about MPG :) I can get 450 from my 500 but I run it dry and brim it to the top and others actually get better mpg than me.

You rang sir :D :D

Sorry I wouldn't dare push Squirrile as far as you do - the most I have filled up is 35 litres, by your standards I will probably get a slap for today's fill up of just under 32 litres, still 400 mile isn't bad :D :D

Trev

You rang sir :D :D

Sorry I wouldn't dare push Squirrile as far as you do - the most I have filled up is 35 litres, by your standards I will probably get a slap for today's fill up of just under 32 litres, still 400 mile isn't bad :D :D

Trev
Exactly :) I may go further than all but the diseasel drivers, but it still doesn't really mean anything when my MPG is worse. Currently I'm on 54 mpg indicated so about 52 in real life. 54 is the magic figure I need to hit to get to 500 miles so I'm hoping to do that during the summer. 500 miles would be pretty cool on one tank in such a small car. Still not as good as my dearly departed scrappage 406 which would do 630 miles on a tank of diseasel.

Oakley - If you work out the MPG's you get in the Stilo, then compare that to what you would get in the Abarth, you can work out the extra cost per mile and therefore how much extra it would cost you per year.

Was easy for me as i used to get 60 MPG in the Panda, now i get 30 MPG so my fuel costs have almost exactly doubled, which was ok seeming as i used to spend no more than £1000 a year on fuel. But i didn't cater for doing more miles, not that i've switched jobs, it's just i want to drive the Abarth more often!

And of course, it's not just about fuel costs either, i paid nearly £400 for a service recently. Sounds like i'm trying to put you off i know! :(

Back