General 1 Year in the Abarth!

Currently reading:
General 1 Year in the Abarth!

My Abarth 500, 1 year of ownership

Thought i would write a short review to celebrate the 1st anniversary of my Abarth 500 ownership! So here are my stats: I've done a total of 13161 miles, taken 737 pictures (2 a day average! :eek:) been through 2 windscreens, 2 gearboxes, 8 wheels and 10 tyres, 2 resprays (bonnet only!) 62 fuel ups approx totaling £1948.74 which works out at an average of £37.48 a week, and averaging 31.4 MPG for at least the last 6500 miles, approximately 33.74 MPG for the year according to my calculations! Phew! :)

It's been a good year in the Abarth, not completely trouble free as you can see, but i'm looking forward to another year, maybe 2 unless something else takes my fancy! The car has aged well cosmetically thanks to my care, there is some wear and tear but no more than you would expect on a 1 year old car. I still enjoy driving the car, it's responsive, fun to drive, fun to be in and fun to look at! It still turns many heads and generates lots of interest. On Saturday i came out of the petrol station to find two people gazing in through the window followed by a chat about the BHP etc. It's nice to have an interesting eye catching car, even if you're modest like me and not a poser (obviously looking at the car, not me!)​

There are obviously better alternatives, faster, more economical, more practical, quieter, refined, comfier, cheaper, better built etc etc etc, but most of these alternatives are very dull. Like i say, this is an interesting different car to look at, and for me, the aesthetics of a car nearly always win me over! I would certainly miss the character of the car, especially those backfires! I can honestly say hand on heart there is nothing else currently on sale that interests me half as much as the Abarth.​

There were times when i hated my car, times when i wanted to sell it, but at these desperate times, one has to remember that 99% of all new cars have teething problems, no matter what you spend. I'm so glad i kept her, I've explored so many places and had so much fun driving around the country. Anybody considering one of these, i would highly recommend them (y)

I would rate the car in the following way:
Looks: 9/10
Performance: 8/10 (for the size!)
Handling: 8/10
Reliability: 7/10 (only 1 major issue really)
Running costs: 8/10 (for a "Hot hatch")
Comfort: 6/10
Refinement: 5/10
Exclusivity: 9/10
Fun: 11/10 ;)

109_9400.jpg

109_9381.jpg

109_9383.jpg

mmmm i want one!...BUT HOW MANY WHEELS AND TYRES?????...AND WHY!
AND WINDSCREENS...AND GEARBOXES???!!:confused::confused:

good rite up on the abarth , i wish i could afford to run one but do many miles so im gettin the new diesel model, true about every new car there are some faults but i find the little 500 has the smile factor.Cant wait to get back into one :slayer:

Last edited:
So here are my stats: I've done a total of 13161 miles, taken 737 pictures (2 a day average! :eek:) been through 2 windscreens, 2 gearboxes, 8 wheels and 10 tyres, 2 resprays (bonnet only!) 62 fuel ups approx totaling £1948.74 which works out at an average of £37.48 a week, and averaging 31.4 MPG for at least the last 6500 miles, approximately 33.74 MPG for the year according to my calculations! Phew! :)

That's an impressive, almost OCD level of record keeping.

Very impressive :)

Do you mean your on your second gearbox and windscreen or your third?and presuming four of the tyres are the nearly new ones on your car? In all not too bad really.

Do you mean your on your second gearbox and windscreen or your third?and presuming four of the tyres are the nearly new ones on your car? In all not too bad really.
Yes 2nd gearbox, 2nd windscreen! And yea, the 4 tyres on the car now, i counted those, even though they're brand new, or they were new about 1000 miles ago (y) I like to think i'm pretty tolerant with this car when it goes wrong, and tbh, the only major issue was the gearbox, most of the other issues were related to that, or caused by the changing of that :mad:

Mark slightly exaggerated with the "hooliganistic level of breakages" i think :p

Back