General The 500C abarth is here!!!..(maxi):-)

Currently reading:
General The 500C abarth is here!!!..(maxi):-)

What brand values? It's only something Fiat created ( or resurrected ) a couple of years ago to sell more cars. It's not some exclusive little club they've made.
If the 500c Abarth sells then they have done the right thing.

You can argue anything you like is pointless. How about chrome bumper trims.
You can argue that anything is pointless but you'd be a clot. The chrome fits in well with the image of the car.

it's strange to see that all the 500 owners/fans love the 500 (obviously) and yet there seems to be a very cold response towards the A500C, i don't understand how love can turn to hate just by making a car topless!? (different story if it were a female)

Not really. A lot of the 500 people like the 500 because of it's cutesy shape. Cutting its roof half off or pumping it up with a steroid fed look ruins it. It's just opinion.

What brand values? It's only something Fiat created ( or resurrected ) a couple of years ago to sell more cars. It's not some exclusive little club they've made.
If the 500c Abarth sells then they have done the right thing.

You can argue anything you like is pointless. How about chrome bumper trims.

the brand values of

• racing and having a car that you can do trackdays and sprints in, that is a race replica with a real link to the race cars
  • a standalone brand of special performance cars
  • the heritage based on Carlo Abarth's tuning company

Abarth are losing the plot IMO and as a potential customer they have dropped a peg or two in my perception by releasing the Abarth 500C - i understand it competes with the the MINI Cooper Cab but that just proves my point!

all IMO, I am sure there will be plenty of customers for it, as there were for abominations like the MG Maestro

all IMO, I am sure there will be plenty of customers for it, as there were for abominations like the MG Maestro

Hey hey! I'm one of the people who likes the A500c the least but let's not throw around insults like that!!!!

Not really. A lot of the 500 people like the 500 because of it's cutesy shape. Cutting its roof half off or pumping it up with a steroid fed look ruins it. It's just opinion.

Opinion that I completely share. (y)

Now on the subject of "heritage", I really can't see why people say (on EVERY make, Abarth Cooper or Gordini for instance) that Fiat Mini or Renault are selling out.
They've pumped up models of their range and made them look aggressive (and hopefully efficient on tracks), what is really the difference with the originals?
It's not like the originals were Da Vinci or Michelangelo's creations, or if they were, for the analogy let's say that they have been re-thought and re-engineered through the eyes and mind of someone like Banksy. We live in modern times! ;)

Fiat and Renault (to name the two that get more stick) have reactualised the brands Abarth and Gordini with modern technologies, were they supposed to pass on airbags, esp and all electronic on the ground that they were not used 30 years ago?
Sure they aren't perfect, but I'm confident that the Abarths and Gordinis of old weren't either.
Anyway, as the old saying goes, "it's only my honest opinion". ;)

(Doesn't mean I like Abarths, it's just I don't see them as "sacred")

Opinion that I completely share. (y)

Now on the subject of "heritage", I really can't see why people say (on EVERY make, Abarth Cooper or Gordini for instance) that Fiat Mini or Renault are selling out.
They've pumped up models of their range and made them look aggressive (and hopefully efficient on tracks), what is really the difference with the originals?
It's not like the originals were Da Vinci or Michelangelo's creations, or if they were, for the analogy let's say that they have been re-thought and re-engineered through the eyes and mind of someone like Banksy. We live in modern times! ;)

Fiat and Renault (to name the two that get more stick) have reactualised the brands Abarth and Gordini with modern technologies, were they supposed to pass on airbags, esp and all electronic on the ground that they were not used 30 years ago?
Sure they aren't perfect, but I'm confident that the Abarths and Gordinis of old weren't either.
Anyway, as the old saying goes, "it's only my honest opinion". ;)

(Doesn't mean I like Abarths, it's just I don't see them as "sacred")

just to clarify

the brand

having created a seperate brand they should be careful to maintain brand integrity - that's all i am saying

the car

its the full length sunroof and excessive bling that i have the issue with

track cars do not have full length sunroofs and excessive bling

simples

i look forward to the Abarth 500TC - maybe they can produce something special

Last edited:
the brand values of

• racing and having a car that you can do trackdays and sprints in, that is a race replica with a real link to the race cars
  • a standalone brand of special performance cars
  • the heritage based on Carlo Abarth's tuning company

Abarth are losing the plot IMO and as a potential customer they have dropped a peg or two in my perception by releasing the Abarth 500C - i understand it competes with the the MINI Cooper Cab but that just proves my point!

Rob - this is your take on the Abarth brand, and it's possible that Fiat ( Abarth) have a different view in that they see it as strengthening the brand. And of course they have a need to sell cars.

So they've cut a bit out of the roof, it'll still have 140bhp, a paddle shift and suspension by Magneti Marelli, hardly your average shopping car.
I would still choose the one with the roof though.

I am well aware of what the old Abarth brand stood for. Until about 4 years ago a few of us would make an annual trip to Zolder to watch nothing but classic Abarths racing Fiat 500s, 600s, 850s, Autobianchis, Simca Abarths etc.. Sadly ever increasing track expenses and tighter noise regs killed it off.

I for one think Fiat have done have done a great job in bringing back the brand and as soon as there is a yellow 500 Abarth I'll sign up.

Rob - this is your take on the Abarth brand, and it's possible that Fiat ( Abarth) have a different view in that they see it as strengthening the brand. And of course they have a need to sell cars.

So they've cut a bit out of the roof, it'll still have 140bhp, a paddle shift and suspension by Magneti Marelli, hardly your average shopping car.
I would still choose the one with the roof though.

I am well aware of what the old Abarth brand stood for. Until about 4 years ago a few of us would make an annual trip to Zolder to watch nothing but classic Abarths racing Fiat 500s, 600s, 850s, Autobianchis, Simca Abarths etc.. Sadly ever increasing track expenses and tighter noise regs killed it off.

I for one think Fiat have done have done a great job in bringing back the brand and as soon as there is a yellow 500 Abarth I'll sign up.
So what you're saying is that you agree with Rob?

The cars that really brought Abarth's name to the fore weren't posermobiles like this thing is.

So what you're saying is that you agree with Rob?

The cars that really brought Abarth's name to the fore weren't posermobiles like this thing is.

I agree that I'd buy the one with the roof that's all.

The old Abarth was a relatively small tuning company, the new one belongs to a major car company, you can't expect it to be exactly as was back in the sixties.

I agree that I'd buy the one with the roof that's all.

The old Abarth was a relatively small tuning company, the new one belongs to a major car company, you can't expect it to be exactly as was back in the sixties.
I guess they're trying to appear to a younger crowd who are somewhat ignorant of the history of Abarth I guess. IMHO even the 500 Abarth is a little underdone for what I think an Abarth should be, but that's just me.

I guess they're trying to appear to a younger crowd who are somewhat ignorant of the history of Abarth I guess. IMHO even the 500 Abarth is a little underdone for what I think an Abarth should be, but that's just me.

that's how i feel, nail on the head

underdone in terms of performance and overdone in terms of bling
(n)

the existance of this thread proves how confused the brand image is

Last edited:
Though not strictly the same situation this kind of reminds me of when Peugeot chose the 307 Crap Cabriolet as their base for their World Rally Car

307wrc05_011600.jpg

It was a travesty of a thing and gladly was never really successful.

This is an Abarth, complete with bespoke IRS which none of the non-Abarth's ever had. You really could just chuck a roll cage in it, add a few go faster bits and go rallying with it.

FHA196_131AbarthRally1976-1978_800.jpeg

This is the boggo version
My%20131_2.jpg

This is just a 500c t-jet with a bit of added bling
Fiat-500-2321010114153861600x1060.jpg

Last edited:

Well, if they are looking to appeal to original Abarth fans, they would be attempting to attract customers now in their 60's, so of course they are out to attract younger buyers. I am sure a more stripped out hardcore Abarth is on the cards at some point.

Well, if they are looking to appeal to original Abarth fans, they would be attempting to attract customers now in their 60's, so of course they are out to attract younger buyers. I am sure a more stripped out hardcore Abarth is on the cards at some point.
Not all the fans of Abarth are in their 60's, RobW for instance doesn't look a day over 50 :p Most people who have any interest in Rallying before the McRae years are well aware of Abarth and their competition cars. From the 500, 124, 131 through to the S4, 037 and Integrale Abarth have a rich history in competition which IMHO is being pissed away making flashy cars which are a bit faster. IMHO someone like the chavtastic VXR badge from Vauxhall would have been more suitable

Not all the fans of Abarth are in their 60's, RobW for instance doesn't look a day over 50 :p Most people who have any interest in Rallying before the McRae years are well aware of Abarth and their competition cars. From the 500, 124, 131 through to the S4, 037 and Integrale Abarth have a rich history in competition which IMHO is being pissed away making flashy cars which are a bit faster. IMHO someone like the chavtastic VXR badge from Vauxhall would have been more suitable

Like it or not the new Abarth is not the old Abarth:bang:
I'm not saying it's right or ideal, but Fiat/Abarth are in business to sell cars and their target cannot just be those interested in rallying history or those who know the history of Abarth.

It's just the way things are these days - Cunard is American, even HP sauce is no longer British owned.

Even knowing the Abarth history, were I to buy a new 500Abarth I would not kid myself that it had much to do with the old Abarth values, but Fiat are at least heading in the right direction. They've come a long way since the hideous 5dr Stilo and face lifted MK2 Punto.

Like it or not the new Abarth is not the old Abarth:bang:
I'm not saying it's right or ideal, but Fiat/Abarth are in business to sell cars and their target cannot just be those interested in rallying history or those who know the history of Abarth.

It's just the way things are these days - Cunard is American, even HP sauce is no longer British owned.

Even knowing the Abarth history, were I to buy a new 500Abarth I would not kid myself that it had much to do with the old Abarth values, but Fiat are at least heading in the right direction. They've come a long way since the hideous 5dr Stilo and face lifted MK2 Punto.
So what you're saying is that Fiat are pimping out the Abarth name to sell a few cars. Didn't Rob and myself say this a few pages ago? :bang:

Dear Fiat,

This thread has got me thinking about what I'd really want in a modern Abarth. And I'm thinking:

- Basic stripped out shell with a t-jet engine and fruity Abarth exhaust
- Decent suspension (adjustable, better mounts and hardware generally - yes better, don't argue, your standard top mounts are ****e)
- Competition seats/harnesses (not poncy £2k handcrafted from unobtanium oooohhh shiny Sabelt marketing silliness)
- Options for factory installed cage, plumbed in fire extinguisher, etc
- As a nod to the Abarth of old it has to have a fruity exhaust (where Carlo got his start)
- No wanky bling or pose value stuff, or at the very least make it all a delete option. I know this bit is particularly hard for marketing to accept but trust me, if you build it, we will come

Offer it in either circuit or rally pack. Sell it cheap. Standard 500 cheap. Allow it to be the kind of car you could road register but you wouldn't really want to use every day.

This kind of thing would be eligable for all sorts of hooligan fun competition stuff. And it would also make a fine enthusiasts car.

And before you mention it, yes, I know you have a Trofeo Abarth 500 racing series. I also know you want £30k for a car and that a full seasons racing is another £50k. That's not the spirit of what I'm getting at here. What I'm after is an affordable hero car in the spirit of the originals. Something the everyman could buy and have fun with on the cheap. Think clio cup but on a more extreme and cheaper scale.

Keep the theme of customisation you do so well with the standard 500 but fill out the options list with proper bang for buck performance goodies.

In closing, please do this Fiat.

I'll buy one tomorrow.

Thanks
Jason

Last edited:
Back