Technical Filler Cap woes

Currently reading:
Technical Filler Cap woes

eightseventhree

First off hello! My name is Andy and we have a Fiat 500 1.2 lounge (in BNW) and a Abarth 500 (in met black) parked on the drive

Im new to the forum and would like some advice if possible!

Nice (ish) day so i decided to clean my new car (Abarth 500) which is only 2 weeks old.

Being a person who has an attention to detail i was trying to clean every nook and cranny. Opens the Fuel filler flap and cleaned inside there. Being also very forgetful i knew that i would forget to rinse and dry in there so left the flap open (i guess you can see where this is going)

Wander round my car drying the excess water off i was doing the rear lights, takes a step backwards trips over the hose falls back and crack! The filler flap is now in 2 bits one still attached to my car, the other on the driveway.

Queue a call to abarth dealer in york (SG Petch) to order a new one, part is £19 but i will have to get sprayed and fitted.

I have glued the flap back on (for the moment) so it doesn't look too stupid, not the best job in the world but hopefully will hold out till i can get it fixed.

Does anyone have experiance on fitting these as i have had a look and cant quite work it out, As if i can get it sprayed by a mate i was thinking, if it was an easy job to fit myself.

Last edited:
Track boys vs Detailers :p

Place your bets now!

not mutually exclusive, i polish my car a few times a year

but would never even consider detailing a hidden area :confused:

Attachments

• IMG_3937.jpg
    IMG_3937.jpg
    228.4 KB · Views: 76
To be fair to the detailers here, the area behind the cap does hold water and other crap, but it does feel like a bit of a flimsy affair from Fiat, a little like the unsatisfactory clunk you get from shutting the tailgate.

I'm usually not that obsessive!

Was the first wash of the new car so going over the top . . . but ill be damned if im cleaning inside there again!

Stupid mistake which i hope is not going to cost the earth to fix.

You detail a fuel cap?

Really?

I did my fuel cap, wheel arches, every hinge, the backbox and under the bonnet for Auto Finesse last year. Still only came 3rd! For the Italian shows this year I'll be cleaning the wheels while off the car and sprucing up my brakes and suspension as well as all of the other stuff. I find it quite relaxing.....

No wonder I'm still single ;)

Dare I say I'm waiting for the first 500 owner to admit they use carnauba wax on their ashtray :D

Seriously I hope it's an easy job to fit your new one (y)

Trev (scuttling back to the Panda section)

I did my fuel cap, wheel arches, every hinge, the backbox and under the bonnet for Auto Finesse last year. Still only came 3rd! For the Italian shows this year I'll be cleaning the wheels while off the car and sprucing up my brakes and suspension as well as all of the other stuff. I find it quite relaxing.....

No wonder I'm still single ;)
Get winter wheels. Gives you a legitimate reason to take your wheels off and clean them. I cleaned mine with an electric toothbrush :D The wife would probably kill me if she knew :D

Dare I say I'm waiting for the first 500 owner to admit they use carnauba wax on their ashtray :D

Seriously I hope it's an easy job to fit your new one (y)

Trev (scuttling back to the Panda section)
You scuttle back to the Panda section! No one likes you and your silly high MPG score :p MPG is overrated! :p

Get winter wheels. Gives you a legitimate reason to take your wheels off and clean them. I cleaned mine with an electric toothbrush :D The wife would probably kill me if she knew :D

I can't afford winter wheels at the minute. Maybe when winter 2010 rolls around. (y)

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Back