General 500c Abarth? Any evidence?

Currently reading:
General 500c Abarth? Any evidence?

I think you miss the point of the A500C. I appreciate the MX5 is a good convertible, possibly the best selling one in the world, but there's nothing that would make me want to own one. And it's just as slow/quick as the A500C btw!
But it handles properly, looks a helluva lot more manly and will be faster on the road rather than just on paper.

But it handles properly, looks a helluva lot more manly and will be faster on the road rather than just on paper.
I'm not sure it looks more manly! But yea, of course it will drive better, it's been developed over decades, the A500C is pretty fresh still, but to think it started life as a Panda back in 2003 or so, i think it's come a long way! I think we all know there are better drives out there for the money, this has been discussed numerous times on the Abarth forum, we always come to the conclusion that we never really want to own any of the other rivals, however better they might drive. There's just something special about an Abarth to a lot of people!

I'm not sure it looks more manly! But yea, of course it will drive better, it's been developed over decades, the A500C is pretty fresh still, but to think it started life as a Panda back in 2003 or so, i think it's come a long way! I think we all know there are better drives out there for the money, this has been discussed numerous times on the Abarth forum, we always come to the conclusion that we never really want to own any of the other rivals, however better they might drive. There's just something special about an Abarth to a lot of people!
I think you just have to admit that you like the badge. Simple as that really.

I think you just have to admit that you like the badge. Simple as that really.
No, the badge has very little to do with it. If it were marked a Fiat 500, i still would have bought it?!

You have to respect Fiat for doing this kind of thing, look how popular these little cars are, they could have just sold Panda's all day long for the next decade, but no, they invested time and money into something people wanted, not needed, a car that's still small and cheaply made but that people actually want to buy and own. Then they've taken it further still with the A500C, new wheels, new leather options, new gearbox, new paint jobs (how many manufacturers give the option of a twin tone paint job!?) It's all effort that's appreciated by people like me :)

Personally I think you guys don't know what you're talking about with the MX5. They're such a good drivers car and people have known about it for ages. That makes them manly.

MX5 Manly?!

Anyway until you have driven one or there has been comprehensive reviews no one can really comment on what it is like to drive.

To dismiss it already...

MX5 Manly?!

Anyway until you have driven one or there has been comprehensive reviews no one can really comment on what it is like to drive.

To dismiss it already...
Take one Abarth which isn't all that highly regarded in terms of handling, add some weight, remove some torsional rigidity..... yeah that's a frigging great recipe for success :ROFLMAO:

Take one Abarth which isn't all that highly regarded in terms of handling, add some weight, remove some torsional rigidity..... yeah that's a frigging great recipe for success :ROFLMAO:

You driven an Abarth 500 yet?

You driven an Abarth 500 yet?
You driven an L reg Subaru Legacy Turbo yet?

That's irrelevant tbh, the respected motoring media have had their word and I trust their word more than that of Abarth owners ;)

Anyway have you driven a 500c yet? I have and the reduction in torsional rigidity was noticeable when pushing on even just a little bit.

You're not helping yourself resorting to childish comments really. This started off as a fairly debatable discussion, but your opinion of the car seems to matter more to you than the car itself.
But that's what it is. Like Ulpian says it's just a handbag. Sure it's better than a Tigra, I'll give you that but it's still not going to be a good drivers car.

But that's what it is. Like Ulpian says it's just a handbag. Sure it's better than a Tigra, I'll give you that but it's still not going to be a good drivers car.
Ok a "handbag" whatever you want to call it, it's more about the style/looks than the drive, we all know that! If i wanted a truly awesome drive, i would buy a Megane R26R for around the same money, and i have considered it. Style appeals to those more who have taste, for example, I'm impressed with the physics and mechanics of a Bugatti Veyron, but i think it's truly awful looking, and for that i would not buy one! :p

I recently looked at a Twingo RS 133 Cup, said to be a drivers car, with a view to changing, but it was just so incredibly horrible inside. Really cheap and nasty everywhere, so much so that I didn't bother with a test drive. I was so disappointed, because I had wanted to like it. It could have been fun, but it just looked like a fast washing machine. Absolutely no comparison to the Abarth 500 in terms of quality.

Back