General 850T - How many are out there?!

Currently reading:
General 850T - How many are out there?!

CathyBee

Hello all,

I'm new to the forum having recently bought Roxy from Adam (which brilliantly happened through finding an old ad on this very site). We're getting stuck in on a bit of work, but she runs pretty well and we're already pootling around in her and enjoying camping - albeit in the garden with the current COVID situation.

She is a 50th birthday present for my partner, who had an 850T in the 90s which he has always raved about. Sadly his old one rotted out and was scrapped way back when. We'd love to know how many of them are still on the road, but it's proving difficult information to find! We contacted DVLA who brilliantly responded to say that 850T is not a model they recognise, so can only tell us all Fiats with no recorded model still on the road from particular years.

From all the brilliant resto projects on here I'm pretty sure you're the experts and will have a better idea.

So, hands up who currently has an 850T!

Cheers, Cathy

Hi Cathy
A question I've been trying to find out since I bought Connie 20 years ago.
I can't speak for 850Ts but when I recently insured my 900T (Connie) the insurance company suggested that there were less than 100 900T/Es on the road in the UK - probably a similar number for 850Ts.

Whatever the number I think we can be proud to be custodians of rare vehicles. In the time we have owned Connie we have only seen one other 850T/900T/E on the road. When we first bought Connie she always attracted attention wherever we went and even the other day when taking her out for the first time in 14 years people were pointing. Who wants a VeeDub, they are ten a penny... actually come to think of it parts for VWs are easy to get hold of and I would have spent more time driving instead of fixing it :bang:

Hi there!

I recently bought a fiat 850T that is also in need of restoration.

I am located in Vienna, Austria so I guess the situation here is different but I have never seen another 850T here on or off the road. Loads of VW's here obviously (going for obscene prices).

Im currently trying to scrape together the body parts needed to send it off to the body shop for a complete resto. I need to replace all of the sills and am missing quite a lot of interior trim (also the middle row of seats although i'm not sure I will ever find any)

The proximity to Italy for parts and me having an Italian girlfriend are an advantage I guess.

What kind of work needs to be done on yours?

There's been three for sale in the past year but thet don't appear very often.

I'd bet there's less that 25 in the uk and probably single figures actually on the road.

Having aold my last 850t in 2002 i've just bought another though it'll be at least two years before it sees the road again.

I have a 1978 Fiat 900T Amigo which I've owned since 1989, and am just in the process of renovating completely - it's been off the road for a decade or more but properly stored in a garage so fortunately not beyond repair.

Have struggled a bit with some spares and the ravages of the pandemic, but am starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel now, and hope to be back up and running around the end of the year.

I would also guess that there's fewer than a dozen or so left in the UK, but I'd be interested to know. There are sites where you can look up remaining numbers of cars, but I don't know if that includes SORNed vehicles...

I have a 1978 Fiat 900T Amigo which I've owned since 1989, and am just in the process of renovating completely - it's been off the road for a decade or more but properly stored in a garage so fortunately not beyond repair.

Have struggled a bit with some spares and the ravages of the pandemic, but am starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel now, and hope to be back up and running around the end of the year.

I would also guess that there's fewer than a dozen or so left in the UK, but I'd be interested to know. There are sites where you can look up remaining numbers of cars, but I don't know if that includes SORNed vehicles...

Google How Many left. Last time I looked it actually said 1 on the road. I wish they would do a new version as these things were really cool.

I'm not sure they could.
Modern crash standards pretty much rule out forward control vehicles.

I am still using my 850T in Australia. Was converted as a Fargo camper by MCC in 1970 and brought back to Australia mid 70s. I am the 2nd owner and have had it for nearly 40 years.

Back