Technical Replacement fuel tank

Currently reading:
Technical Replacement fuel tank

I suppose that it was inevitable that after removing all the underseal and then the.many crusted layers of rust from my 900e fuel tank I was not going to have a pleasant surprise. Although I now have a more or less shiny tank, it's full of pin holes and dodgy areas of "steel". There's a couple of S/H replacements on eBay, but I'm not taking the risk at those prices. I'm not going to find a new tank so has anyone already successfully experimented with fitting a tank designed for another vehicle? Failing that I will have to make my own!!!!!!!!

Thanks for those links Neil. I don't think I could make one as good as that but I'm sure I could knock something up. But that's a lot of trouble to go to in terms of measuring and very precise welding.

I've had another look at it and chipped at the weak areas with a pick-hammer; there are about half a dozen approximately 8mm diameter holes. I've run a blowtorch through it to check if there's any petrol residue :D...I'm still here so that's OK.:eek::eek:

So before embarking on a huge manufacturing job I'll be doing some welding repairs on the tank which I'll post here for your entertainment.

hi just wondered if you were intereested, i have a tank that i took out of little blue, it needs a coating inside as it is gungy inside but very solid structurally, we bought a new old stock tank from italy as we were tired of replacing fuel filters
if your interested send me a message

cheers
tim

Back