General On the Road - Fiat Amigo

Currently reading:
General On the Road - Fiat Amigo

Bartvandebroek

On the Road - Fiat 900T Amigo XLS Motor Caravan

Last weekend we (2 adults and 3 children (5, 6 and 8)) made a first maidentrip with our Fiat Amigo. A small holiday at the Dutch beach in Zeeuws-Vlaanderen.
It is of course a small vehicle to start with but Motor Caravan Conversions have produced an extraordinarily effective living arrangement providing, with reservations, seating for eight (!) and sleeping for 4 + 1 (2 adults, 3 children (1 small child)). It’s small… rather a squeeze, especially as it is a case of “everybody out” including luggage and interior equipement, when rearrange for eating and sleeping.
But this is also the Fiat’s advantage; it’s only 3,73 mtr long/1,85 mtr heigh so easy to drive and park. Also a (very, very) lot of attention, even at the camping site when five went to bed!
It is great to drive, despite the very limited headroom at front, and the front seat passenger is troubled by the spare wheel, mounted below the fascia. Three children can sit normally, even make a “small bed” of the seating. Still, for all that a non stop journey of 185 km to our desitination was made in only 3 hours without too much stress.
Our Amigo is equipped with the faster engine from the 850 Spider (54 HP vs 35 HP), only with the original gearbox from the 900T. It runs happily, maximun speed about 110 km/h, cruising speed about 95 km/h. Our Amigo was fully packed, also with a carrier bag on the roofrack (maximum 50 kg). For this journey (total 422 km) petrol was used at the rate of 11,7 km/l. Not bad if you assumes that factory fuel consumption is about 11 km/l. The Amigo would be away quite readily in traffic and was not over noisy at 95 km/h. The journey out was quite windy (force 5/6), the Fiat is sensitive to wind from the side.
Driving the Amigo is easy, I do not hesitate to drive it to Italy, but what of the conversion? It is small… I have the optional Portatent which triples the amount of space. I think, certainly when raining, the the Portatent is a must to have. Behind the rearmost of the bench seats is the kitchen section. You can take the whole unit out an place it in the Portatent. There is no wardrobe – no room. Main feature of the conversion is the really excellent lifting roof, which hinges from one side under light pressure and has extending rails which are pushed and locked in position to give an almost unbelievable amount op space with good headroom. There are 3 small beds, for children. When the roof is open you can move the dining table and rearrange the cushions to make the double bed. In this conversion you can’t open the cupboard doors anymore! The cushions are good and sleep well. I my case I have to raise the children bed’s edges, one of them fell down in the middle of the night!
The Amigo is a very very rare campervan, one with a big smile at the front! It is very small, especially when you are used to plenty of space. I think the Portatent is a must to have. I am thinking of a small (classic) luggage trailer, because of the lack of storage space. It’s great fun to drive and does have very good equipment – especially its superb roof – and a go-anywhere capability.

Fiat Amigo your friend for life!

Hi Bart
Sounded great fun, although we thought it was going to be a squeeze with 2 adults and one 9 year old (once Connie the camper is back on the road - later this year).

When Connie was on the road 10 years ago I used to always keep the water and fuel tanks full to help keep the centre of gravity down - this helped a little in with cross-winds.

We have had Connie 15 years and have only ever seen one other 850t/900t on the road - 12 years ago. The rarity value certainly attracts attention, whenever we used to stop people would come over to find out about the shrunken VW Camper - as a couple of people put it. Of course we then had to point out that even the rare split screen veedubs are common by comparison.

Happy camping

Some pics

Attachments

• IMG_6405.JPG
    IMG_6405.JPG
    5.7 MB · Views: 44
  • IMG_6404.JPG
    IMG_6404.JPG
    5.3 MB · Views: 44
  • IMG_6545.JPG
    IMG_6545.JPG
    5.4 MB · Views: 43
  • IMG_6541.JPG
    IMG_6541.JPG
    6.3 MB · Views: 43
Beautiful little van! That's great that you're using it properly as well, well done :)

Engine upgrade sounds very worthwhile - being able to cruise at 95km/h must really help on the longer journeys

Back