17717052334_1044bd2216_b.jpg

900 Bluebell the 900e Amigo

Introduction

We have just taken on the ownership of this camper from Kelly and Karl and hope to have it on the road within the next six months.
17717052334_1044bd2216_b.jpgDSC_6177 by Peter Thompson, on Flickr
Not only is it a really lovely vehicle, it was also a pleasure to buy it from such a genuine and really nice couple. There was a huge amount of interest in the sale and I am really appreciative that I was favoured to be the buyer ; so many thanks Karl.:)
18335728502_1005bcd374_b.jpgDSC_6176 by Peter Thompson, on Flickr
There is a certain amount of essential welding to do underneath, which will add to the welding that has been done in the past. It is currently pretty solid underneath but not as pretty as it could be. I hope to tidy as I go and then work around the bodywork. This has signs of a lot of filler and there is rust poking through in places, but it looks like we will be able to get using it soon.
There are a number of mechanical issue but nothing too onerous and it starts and runs really well.
So a rolling restoration to usable standards.
I just need to get the roof open now!
Watch this space as I document my progress.
When I was at Radbourne Racing only the 850cc version was available, and performance was, to put it kindly, lethargic. I remember tuning up a couple of them and I had to deliver 1 of those to it's new owner. It may have looked standard, but it was quite a bit quicker! to the point that 1 could have a lot of fun with Imps, who were somewhat baffled that this boxy looking device was not only able to hold them at the 'traffic light grand-prix', but actually pull away from them! good times; good memories.
thumb.gif
biggrin.gif

Ooh it's a bit of a Tardis with the roof open, looks very cosy and well laid out for something so small.

So is that one double and a single up in the canopy?

So is that one double and a single up in the canopy?
Yes, the double is transverse across the cab roof and that's the single at the side.
I need to find out more about alternative arrangements as some have double downstairs, which fills the cab but would feel less wobbly. Karl said this "Sleeping Giant" is the rarest, end-of-the-line version of the Amigo.
I think there is potential to re-arrange things downstairs a little, if you get my drift:D There is currently no fridge but there is a toilet!
I will have an enjoyable internet search.
Another thing that intrigues me is that Wikipedia (not faultless of course) seems to be saying that the Amigo was a Fiat creation when I always thought it was adapted by a British company.

Last edited:
Yes, the double is transverse across the cab roof and that's the single at the side.
I need to find out more about alternative arrangements as some have double downstairs, which fills the cab but would feel less wobbly. Karl said this "Sleeping Giant" is the rarest, end-of-the-line version of the Amigo.
I think there is potential to re-arrange things downstairs a little, if you get my drift:D There is currently no fridge but there is a toilet!
I will have an enjoyable internet search.
Another thing that intrigues me is that Wikipedia (not faultless of course) seems to be saying that the Amigo was a Fiat creation when I always thought it was adapted by a British company.

The only thing that I can see that looks remotely like a toilet is possibly that little cabinet with a bolt on it? Please tell me that is not the case? You would be sitting about 3ft away from the cooker when you are having a poo!!!!!!!:eek: and it's hardly private!!!!!!!

I have been inspired by that Blog Tony, but you have to replace the asterisks on the link with the letters "autoshtie", but not in that order:)
Today I had a short drive in and a brief foray under the car. The drive showed me that it is a nice thing to operate but that it could be A LOT BETTER!!!
The steering is very vague, brakes useless, there is a lot of strange rumbling and low mechanical vibration and it generally doesn't feel very safe; so a lot to do there.
Using only my bare hands I wrenched off pieces of the inner front valance and caused collateral damage to the short pieces of forward, front sill on each side.
DSC_6285 by Peter Thompson, on Flickr
DSC_6277 by Peter Thompson, on Flickr
Another obvious problem area is the rear nearside of the engine compartment.
DSC_6290 by Peter Thompson, on Flickr
There will be more to follow and there is nothing that wasn't declared upfront when I bought it.
So I now have the start of a shopping list. The trouble is that I am used to the 500 for which you can get nearly every panel above AND below. This car will be more of a handmade job.

I have been looking at the panels which are available and it seems to be less of a problem than I first thought. I doubt I will find much to help with chassis repairs but I have found several sources for bodywork; mainly original Fiat panels. I expect an expensive order to be made before the weekend.
Here's an image of the engine bay to illustrate (particularly to 500 owners) the excellent access you get for such a well tucked away motor.
DSC_6289 by Peter Thompson, on Flickr

I came across a supplier in Italy who had a really useful range of panels which I definitely need and a few which I didn't expect to find but will make the job so much easier.
So I have paid for a package which includes a used but nearly perfect driver's and passenger door, a brand-new side door, a pair of genuine sills, a pair of short sills for the front sides and the complex, curved, bottom door reveal.
These are just the start and no doubt I will find problems with adjoining panels. But by spending a lot I was offered some significant discount and with the door at least, I have good head start to the restoration. Just a shame that all my hard-earned Ebay "winnings" of the past few weeks have been blown in one go.
The problem is that, not being Robert de Niro I find it hard talking Italian and the names of some of those pieces are outrageous, eg:
SOTTOPORTA DESTRO SINISTRO FIAT 850 900 T E PULMINO FAMILIARE MODELLO LISCIO
ARCO GIRO RUOTA DESTRO FIAT 600 850 900 T E FAMILIARE PULMINO ORIGINALE

This could be an interesting thread Peter.
You do like a bit of rust don't you!

Good luck with your latest project.
smile.gif
Luck has sort of been with me so far with finding panels so quickly.
The great thing about the design is that most of the structural strength is in the re-inforced floor so you don't have to tackle every bit of rot at once.
There have been a lot of bodges which I can't live with so some un-picking will have to be done.
I start cutting it out next week even though I yet have to make it a little hut for it to live in.
For now it keeps the grandkids entertained as as temporary garden house.:)

The Amigo was a camper version created by 'Motor Caravan Conversions' of Berkhamstead. The company was set up by a chap called Bill Rix. The first Amigo was built on the 850T chassis. They also offered the 'Fiesta' and the 'Fargo' versions as well...

They continued offering the Amigo on the 900T chassis, until for reasons I'm not sure of, Fiat took over when the 900E chassis was introduced and the Amigo became an official Fiat conversion available through Fiat dealers...

I have a reference book by Alessandro Sannia of conversions done on 600 multipla, 850T, 900T and 900E, but it is all in Italian...

I have no idea which aftermarket converter did the 'Sleeping Giant' conversion, although it is one of the last conversions. I do know that the 'Pandora' was converted by 'Caravans International' of Newmarket...

I hope that is of some use...

That's very interesting Vin. thanks for the information.
I suspect that MCC built the late ones in any case as I can see some similarities in trim and in the roof mechanism.
It does seem strange how scarce the information about these conversions appears to be.....matches the scarcity of the vans themselves I suppose.:rolleyes:

The various bits arrived from Italy that are needed to make a start on restoration.
I messed up with the doors as I didn't expect the ones from a Coriasco (pickup) to be so different as they are.:confused:
DSC_7991 by Peter Thompson, on Flickr
Not much chance of selling them on in this country I guess but if you need some or could use them please get in touch...I am sure I will have them for quite a while!!!
DSC_7992 by Peter Thompson, on Flickr
The wheelarch and front sills were much cheaper than UK prices and the side door, although needing some slight and obvious mods for Amigo use would no doubt be unobtainable at any price in the UK.
The sills puzzle me; I went for a cheap option as a gamble, which are "Liscio" or "smooth", ie without the pressed groove. But the curve seems wrong althogh Bluebell may have been given a distorted look through serious plating over. I would welcome comments on that, thanks.
DSC_7993 by Peter Thompson, on Flickr
Anyway, just need to re-equip myself with welding gas, grab a bit of time and then get started.:)

Well done on the Panel haul...

Shame about the Pick-up doors...I guess that's coachbuilding for you...

Sills certainly are a minefield...I'm amazed how many different types of sills there are for what appears to a simple structure. There was a r/h sill that came with my van that didn't have the groove and the curvature was all wrong. It looked the same visually but when I started taking measurements it wasn't right...

I did have a genuine fiat r/h sill that also came with the van...the number on it matched my microfiche print outs, but it had been cut in half and was a bit battered :( so I got a grooved replacement (pattern part) from Italy and when that arrived found it was 2 inches longer than the one on the van!!!!

I ended using the genuine one as patch repairs in the end...

As you've maybe guessed from the username, the Autos*ite thread is my work in progress...

Thanks Vin; I had worked out that was your restoration and I am impressed and appreciative to have it there as a resource.
After your comments and some further (destructive) investigation, I am pretty certain that I have the wrong sills although I won't be sure until I have peeled off all the previous repairs.
DSC_8053 by Peter Thompson, on Flickr
It's quite clear that there is a lot of flaky "metal" and filler under the skin of this van; but that is what I was lead to expect.
DSC_8055 by Peter Thompson, on Flickr
The owners before me have had a very good repair done to the sills but is all looks a bit messy and I want rid of it.
DSC_8052 by Peter Thompson, on Flickr
Unfortunately, it looks like the inner sills have been cut out and replaced with flat steel and I'm not even sure they are quite in the right place because there is a lot of over-plating....it's all part of the fun.:rolleyes:

I have thought about the sills and I think I can get away with fitting them even if they are a slightly wrong curvature. They are original Fiat and just the right length and the curves follow the wheelarch geometry. If they don't meet up with the lower flange of the inner sill I will get some "U" section made and use this to bridge the gap.

The next thing to get is rear wheelarches and I have seen different suggestions for this. It's hard to work out what will look a reasonable match from the panels available for other vehicles as tehre don't appear to be ones made specifically for the Amigo. Some American pickup trucks have a similar look to them as does
the Mk1 Transit.
Has anyone got a recommendation?

Hi Peter, I'm new to the forum and am just in the process of sorting out the logistics of bringing a coriasco pick up into the Uk from Italy and may be interested in the odd panel or two you have that don't fit your model. I'll know more once I get it here and start to get stuck in.
Perhaps someone on here has experience of working on the pick up model. If so is it possible to unbolt and remove the rear pick up body to get good access to the rest of the vehicle?
Good luck with the project and I hope all goes well, Jez

Back