Old 3 Weeks Ago   #376
Patinated Peter

Trader Rating: 0
fiat500 has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Bluebell the 900e Amigo

Quote Originally Posted by timmycm850 View Post
Hi Peter

On the gears hat you received that don't fit, is the gear that fits on the crankshaft much thicker by about 8mm, I'm wondering if the gears you recieved are for a 100gl engine which has a different oil system.

Tim
Hi Tim, I think the gears are actually the same, the chain would fit either set and the gears will actually fit; both on the crankshaft and the camshaft. The drawback is that the central boss on each is thinner (I'll double-check with images tomorrow). A thick spacer came with the kit but I can't see any combination of placements that aligns properly.

fiat500 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #377
Patinated Peter

fiat500 has donated!
United Kingdom 

Quote Originally Posted by Classicandy45 View Post
The mechanic who fitted the overhaul kit, messed up first attempt, complaining the spindle threads were made of plastercine (but just looked mushroomed by application of hammer to me!). Anyway, a 3bolt spindle, and another overhaul kit later and job was done.
Having just dismantled my pump I can sympathise with the mechanic.
The threads are made from Plasticine and a 34 year-old pump does not come apart according to the book instructions.

After trying to get away with my soft-headed hammer I gradually had to go up to a big, heavy thumper and consequently the threads on the shaft, although usable, are a bit manky. I also fell victim to the broken flange on the side housing...I have an escape plan for that.

But it crossed my mind that possibly a brand-new, three-bolt pump could be salvaged for parts because they can be bought quite cheaply from some online sellers......cheaper than the bearing overhaul kit. It's just that being pattern parts it's possible that the dimensions of the internals are different.

Where did you get your three-bolt spindle from Andy?

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #378
Patinated Peter

fiat500 has donated!
United Kingdom 

As mentioned above, here are most of the components of the water-pump. I've now managed to extract one of the woodruff-keys which seemed permanently embedded and I'm soaking the pump body in a mild solution of phosphoric acid and degreaser. I already cleaned out the thermostat-housing in the same way, but I'm being careful not to leave it too long; I only want to remove the rust and salt deposits and not to dissolve the whole assembly.

I'm trying the same technique with the radiator, but I think I'm safe to leave that longer term. The radiator has the advantage that because it is buried so deep and protected by cowlings it has sustained no significant external damage to the fins; unlike modern cars where I always find that dealership garages helpfully flatten the fins with the powerwash at every service.

I was going to use the chain of my new, mis-ordered timing-gearset on the old sprockets as they don't seem worn. But there is a bit too much side to side movement so the 850 set will go back on eBay and I'll order a new 900e set.

I didn't plan to get so deep into this at this point but like the rest of the van the engine seems to have suffered neglect and bodged repairs which might as well be fixed properly whilst I'm at it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FER_9457.JPG
Views:	3
Size:	2.92 MB
ID:	200189   Click image for larger version

Name:	FER_9455.JPG
Size:	3.96 MB
ID:	200190  

Name:	FER_9460.JPG
Views:	6
Size:	3.09 MB
ID:	200191  

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #379
Autotest Special

Trader Rating: 1
rallycinq has donated!
British Indian Ocean Territories 

Better to do it while its out, rather than later.

Good work

D
Likes fiat500 liked this post
Old 1 Week Ago   #380
United Kingdom 

Quote Originally Posted by timmycm850 View Post
Hi guys

100gbc is an 850 sport coupe (series 2/3) block and the engine number is normally on the machined face above and to the left of the timing chain cover, the seven or eight digit number cast into the block under plug 1 is a block part number and often the 100gbc blocks start with 4 and end in 141, the heads should also be cast with 100gbc in the middle of the top of the exhaust flange area, the coupes would normally run with a weber 30dic carb with two venturis at 23mm each, The 30dic carbs from series 1 850 coupe will have a smaller venuri size of 21/23, so running with a 30 ICF wont give you the full 47 or 52 hp and also you may lose a bit of the low torque(?) of the 100gf van engine as the 100gbc camshaft timing is longer and the carb is only a single choke.

ive never heard of a cast iron 850/900 head, if poss please show image of it. intruiged?

Gary, 850 coupe accelerator cables are slightly shorter than 900t types, you can replace the outer sleeve only of the accelerator cable as this normally corrodes, a metre from a bike shop is normally enough and you can carefully remove the solid ends from your own sleeve, sand your existing inner cable with a bit of oiled 400 grade paper to remove any surface corrosion before fitting the new sleeve, you dont have to remove the whole cable to do this just the rear outer piece.

just to fill you in i purchased my first 850 in 1989( an s3 coupe), since then ive not been without one and now have
1966 s1 coupe
1970 lombardi
1973 s3 spyder
1979 900t purchased 2015 i think
gamine
Hi
I've finally found the engine number - top left above the timing chain cover as suggested. It is quite faint and had a thin layer of grime over it hence why it was easily missed.

Stamped above the engine number (original by the way) is 100 GF .000 - so the GBC block casting number ties in with what had previously been suggested about most of the later blocks being stamped GBC regardless of where they ended up.

Reading the Haynes manual the GF engine has a 7.9:1 compression (the GBC is 9.5:1). From what I've read elsewhere on the Internet the lower compression should make it more compatible with unleaded petrol - less risk of pre-detonation etc.

If correct (can anyone confirm?), I'm happy to live with fewer horses in favour of the ease of being able to fill up at the pumps without worrying about additives etc.

Gary50 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 1 Week Ago   #381
United Kingdom 

Quote Originally Posted by Gary50 View Post
Hi
I've finally found the engine number - top left above the timing chain cover as suggested. It is quite faint and had a thin layer of grime over it hence why it was easily missed.

Stamped above the engine number (original by the way) is 100 GF .000 - so the GBC block casting number ties in with what had previously been suggested about most of the later blocks being stamped GBC regardless of where they ended up.

Reading the Haynes manual the GF engine has a 7.9:1 compression (the GBC is 9.5:1). From what I've read elsewhere on the Internet the lower compression should make it more compatible with unleaded petrol - less risk of pre-detonation etc.

If correct (can anyone confirm?), I'm happy to live with fewer horses in favour of the ease of being able to fill up at the pumps without worrying about additives etc.

based on this additional info. as i understand it.

100gbc engine castings when supplied in 900t when new will have 100gf on the engine stamped number above the timing chain and also the head will have 100gf cast in the cylinder head by the exhaust.
100gbc engine castings when fitted in coupes from new will have 100gbc stamped by the engine number and cast into the head.

let me have a look at my engine that didnt seem to perform like a 100gbc should and i will get back to you. this might be the end to my mystery. lets see

timmycm850 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 1 Week Ago   #382
Classicandy45 has donated!
United Kingdom 

Pete, you are correct 're pump spindles... after first failure, I had a new unused 3 bolt pump, and we rescued the pump by using the 3 bolt spindle.
Gary, my 84 pandora been running on unleaded fine for last 5yrs,no linking or starting difficulties. In that time it's done thousands of miles all within the speed limit!
Thanks fiat500, Gary50 thanked for this post

Classicandy45 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 5 Days Ago   #383
Patinated Peter

fiat500 has donated!
United Kingdom 

I'm still waiting for some of the parts for the water-pump and I've made a repair to the casing I damaged on removal by using epoxy-adhesive and a tailored steel plate to strengthen it. A big package of mainly rubber-based parts arrived whilst I was on holiday. So I could make a decent start on the front suspension, amongst other things, but I must first get the engine back together.
My acid-bath did its stuff on the radiator-shroud whilst I was away and it's left with a thin film of iron-phosphate and just needs priming.
The new timing-chain is a really good fit in comparison with the old one....all the sagging has gone and I've since removed the engine-sump so that I can replace the timing-chain cover now that I've fixed the studs back in properly.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	FER_9651.JPG
Size:	5.11 MB
ID:	200411   Click image for larger version

Name:	FER_9654.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	4.57 MB
ID:	200412  

Name:	FER_9655.JPG
Views:	0
Size:	4.82 MB
ID:	200413   Click image for larger version

Name:	FER_9657.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	5.50 MB
ID:	200414  

Likes rallycinq, Classicandy45 liked this post

Old 2 Days Ago   #384
Patinated Peter

fiat500 has donated!
United Kingdom 

I'm still plodding away at sorting everything in the engine bay which led me to doing a few pieces of welding which I couldn't get at until the radiator was removed.
I've also pulled out the metal pipework that runs back to the heater and I'm not decided on how to replace it. It could easily done using copper pipe and fittings like @Vin but I might extend it so as to remove the need for the complicated rubber pipe pictured, which conveys the hot water from the thermostat housing to the solid heater-pipe as I am unable to find a new replacement. I might even do it in plastic PEX pipe because this is fairly flexible and I have a load left over from plumbing the house; the only issue there is that the fittings are very bulky.
Every day I sort out a few details of the engine-bay and amongst other things, today I coated the pump-body and thermostat housings in clear epoxy paint; at the price they cost new it is worth protecting them from corrosion for as long as possible.
I've also got the sump and other metal parts soaking in the bath of phosphoric acid so that by the time the pump is rebuilt and ready to fit everything should be de-rusted and ready for use at the same time.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	FER_9659.JPG
Views:	7
Size:	4.61 MB
ID:	200488   Click image for larger version

Name:	FER_9661.JPG
Views:	6
Size:	4.27 MB
ID:	200489  

Last edited by fiat500; 2 Days Ago at 22:58.