Register Login
Shop4Parts - UK's largest online superstore for FIAT and Alfa Romeo parts
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 23-04-2019   #361
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 55
Thanks: 3
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Bluebell the 900e Amigo

Quote Originally Posted by Gary50 View Post
Connie's engine is also a GBC with alloy head - 900T's should have had the GF.

I had always thought that it was the original one when it came out of the factory (cars made in the 70's often had different parts depending on parts shortages) but I've just checked the engine number against the V5 and they are different - assuming the engine number is the one stamped under #1 spark plug? There was no mention of an engine swap when we bought her in 2001, so I'm assuming that the previous owner didn't bother to tell the DVLA.

According to the Haynes manual the 900T came with the Weber 30 ICF 20/250 whereas the 850T had the 30 ICF 15 (the one fitted to Connie as well).
Hi guys

100gbc is an 850 sport coupe (series 2/3) block and the engine number is normally on the machined face above and to the left of the timing chain cover, the seven or eight digit number cast into the block under plug 1 is a block part number and often the 100gbc blocks start with 4 and end in 141, the heads should also be cast with 100gbc in the middle of the top of the exhaust flange area, the coupes would normally run with a weber 30dic carb with two venturis at 23mm each, The 30dic carbs from series 1 850 coupe will have a smaller venuri size of 21/23, so running with a 30 ICF wont give you the full 47 or 52 hp and also you may lose a bit of the low torque(?) of the 100gf van engine as the 100gbc camshaft timing is longer and the carb is only a single choke.

ive never heard of a cast iron 850/900 head, if poss please show image of it. intruiged?

Gary, 850 coupe accelerator cables are slightly shorter than 900t types, you can replace the outer sleeve only of the accelerator cable as this normally corrodes, a metre from a bike shop is normally enough and you can carefully remove the solid ends from your own sleeve, sand your existing inner cable with a bit of oiled 400 grade paper to remove any surface corrosion before fitting the new sleeve, you dont have to remove the whole cable to do this just the rear outer piece.

just to fill you in i purchased my first 850 in 1989( an s3 coupe), since then ive not been without one and now have
1966 s1 coupe
1970 lombardi
1973 s3 spyder
1979 900t purchased 2015 i think
gamine
Thanks Gary50 thanked for this post
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

timmycm850 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 23-04-2019   #362
Patinated Peter
 
fiat500's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Nairn
Posts: 4,845
Thanks: 232
Trader Rating: 0
fiat500 has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Bluebell the 900e Amigo

Quote Originally Posted by timmycm850 View Post
ive never heard of a cast iron 850/900 head, if poss please show image of it. intruiged?
Tim...all that information is really useful and gratefully received. nn

My cast-iron head doesn't exist except in my dimly-lit memory. I was given a box of S/H bits when I bought the van and only raked through it today; so I have another alloy head, an earlier ICF carb., loads of thermostat housings, a brake master-cylinder which still has the golden anodising on the surface and various other bits which I can now see being quite useful.

I have seen the engine number and I'll look for markings on the head.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

fiat500 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 23-04-2019   #363
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 55
Thanks: 3
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Bluebell the 900e Amigo

Quote Originally Posted by fiat500 View Post
Tim...all that information is really useful and gratefully received. nn

My cast-iron head doesn't exist except in my dimly-lit memory. I was given a box of S/H bits when I bought the van and only raked through it today; so I have another alloy head, an earlier ICF carb., loads of thermostat housings, a brake master-cylinder which still has the golden anodising on the surface and various other bits which I can now see being quite useful.

I have seen the engine number and I'll look for markings on the head.
Hi Peter.

great. a number of thermostat housings is good as they can turn to powder sometimes especially the small outlet tube to the temp sender. great to have some spares,

Tim
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

timmycm850 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 25-04-2019   #364
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 63
Thanks: 4
Trader Rating: 0
Classicandy45 has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Bluebell the 900e Amigo

I haven't checked numbers, but have noticed a big difference in water pumps, I.e. mine(and my spare engines) are four bolt, yet most parts listings come up as 3 bolt?
Likes fiat500 liked this post
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

Classicandy45 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 26-04-2019   #365
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 55
Thanks: 3
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Bluebell the 900e Amigo

Quote Originally Posted by Classicandy45 View Post
I haven't checked numbers, but have noticed a big difference in water pumps, I.e. mine(and my spare engines) are four bolt, yet most parts listings come up as 3 bolt?
Hi Andy

yes basically all 843 engines upto 1968 are 63.5mm stroke and 3 bolt mountings for the waterpump, 903cc engines are from 1968 are 68mm stroke and 4 bolt mounts for the waterpumps, the engine blocks differ in height by about 7 or 8mm height as well.

4 bolt pumps are much less available, some reputable companies are doing quality rebuilding of the existing pumps based on your core if you need one or on an exchange basis.

tim
Thanks Classicandy45 thanked for this post
Likes Classicandy45 liked this post
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

timmycm850 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 26-04-2019   #366
Autotest Special
 
rallycinq's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 23,398
Thanks: 1144
Blog Entries: 3
Trader Rating: 1
rallycinq has donated!
British Indian Ocean Territories 
Re: Bluebell the 900e Amigo

How does the water pump differ between the 903 and the 899 (which is a sleeved down 903)

D
__________________
rallycinq is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 26-04-2019   #367
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 55
Thanks: 3
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Bluebell the 900e Amigo

Quote Originally Posted by rallycinq View Post
How does the water pump differ between the 903 and the 899 (which is a sleeved down 903)

D
both these bolt flanges are angled
3 bolts on 843 100g engines are in a triangle bolt pattern with two at the top
4 bolt on 903 100gb engines are a square bolt pattern.

these bolt flanges are square onto the engine
3 bolt on 903/899 100gl and A112 engines are like the 4 bolt square pattern with the bottom right fixing missing, ( like an upturned L)

it gets even more complicated when you introduce the engines that seat made for the 133 and 127 fura's

Tim
Thanks rallycinq thanked for this post
Likes Classicandy45, rallycinq liked this post
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

timmycm850 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 26-04-2019   #368
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Fordingbridge, Hampshire
Posts: 186
Thanks: 6
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Bluebell the 900e Amigo

I've just looked on Ricambio (other suppliers are available ), there is quite a difference in the price between the 3 bolt (143.94) and 4 bolt (474.00) versions - as is typical I have the 4 bolt version

However, assuming that it's just general wear there is an overhaul kit that fits either version for 83.94.

Has anyone here carried out an overhaul of their water pump and if yes is it something that you would advise an average enthusiast to avoid? Or relatively straight forward?

Are there any special tools required?
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

Gary50 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 26-04-2019   #369
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 55
Thanks: 3
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Bluebell the 900e Amigo

Quote Originally Posted by Gary50 View Post
I've just looked on Ricambio (other suppliers are available ), there is quite a difference in the price between the 3 bolt (143.94) and 4 bolt (474.00) versions - as is typical I have the 4 bolt version

However, assuming that it's just general wear there is an overhaul kit that fits either version for 83.94.

Has anyone here carried out an overhaul of their water pump and if yes is it something that you would advise an average enthusiast to avoid? Or relatively straight forward?

Are there any special tools required?
Hi Gary

its very easy to break the soft rear casing taking it apart, Middle Barton Garage in Oxfordshire do an exchange basis on the 4 bolt ones, not sure what the cost is but it might be worth a look at or a call to find out.

Tim
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

timmycm850 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 29-04-2019   #370
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 63
Thanks: 4
Trader Rating: 0
Classicandy45 has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Bluebell the 900e Amigo

The mechanic who fitted the overhaul kit, messed up first attempt, complaining the spindle threads were made of plastercine (but just looked mushroomed by application of hammer to me!). Anyway, a 3bolt spindle, and another overhaul kit later and job was done.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

Classicandy45 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 30-04-2019   #371
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Fordingbridge, Hampshire
Posts: 186
Thanks: 6
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Bluebell the 900e Amigo

Quote Originally Posted by Classicandy45 View Post
The mechanic who fitted the overhaul kit, messed up first attempt, complaining the spindle threads were made of plastercine (but just looked mushroomed by application of hammer to me!). Anyway, a 3bolt spindle, and another overhaul kit later and job was done.
Just doubled checked the pricing, 474 is for brand new old stock. There is a reconditioned option for 300 - both require the old pump back.

One alternative I'm considering is to switch to an electric pump, as I have already switched to an electric fan. The basic set of bits for the conversion are around 150 to 250 (depending on type). However, getting an adapter for the engine block (where the pump currently fits) may be a problem.

Has anyone carried out an electric water pump conversions before?
And if so can you provide details/photos?
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

Gary50 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 01-05-2019   #372
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Brigg, North Lincolnshire
Posts: 555
Thanks: 15
Trader Rating: 0
Vin has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Bluebell the 900e Amigo

I just thought I'd mention that the 100GBC coding was certainly a code for the 850 Sport Coupe as Tim has stated, but by the early seventies all 903cc blocks were being stamped 100GBC regardless of what they were intended for (this was something I remember reading in an old Fiat document, many moons ago). I discovered this at the time I rebuilt the engine in my van as the original engine (the numbers matched the documents) and the two spare units I had were all stamped 100GBC on the blocks. I thought I had 3 Sport coupe engines!!! As with many things the reality was somewhat different...
Thanks fiat500 thanked for this post
__________________
My Fiats - 99 Marea Weekend 130 JTD, 91 Panda 750L, 85 Panda 45 CL, 86 126 FSM, 81 127 Fiorino, 78 900T Citivan and a very rotten 68 850 Francis Lombardi Grand-Prix
Vin is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 01-05-2019   #373
Patinated Peter
 
fiat500's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Nairn
Posts: 4,845
Thanks: 232
Trader Rating: 0
fiat500 has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Bluebell the 900e Amigo

Quote Originally Posted by Vin View Post
As with many things the reality was somewhat different...
Well said. I was coming to the same conclusion, having seen quite a few images of engines on vans embossed with the exact same lettering. It's better from the restoration point of view otherwise I would have difficulty being sure that the manual and parts lists applied to my engine.

I've already cocked-up as I got hold of a reasonably bargain set of timing-gears and chain under the correct kit parts number but find they are very similar but very different.

Bogged down at the moment replacing some very rusty "metal" on the floor of my 500 which was a brand new floor-panel fitted in 2009.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides


Last edited by fiat500; 01-05-2019 at 11:11.
fiat500 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 01-05-2019   #374
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 55
Thanks: 3
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Bluebell the 900e Amigo

Quote Originally Posted by Vin View Post
I just thought I'd mention that the 100GBC coding was certainly a code for the 850 Sport Coupe as Tim has stated, but by the early seventies all 903cc blocks were being stamped 100GBC regardless of what they were intended for (this was something I remember reading in an old Fiat document, many moons ago). I discovered this at the time I rebuilt the engine in my van as the original engine (the numbers matched the documents) and the two spare units I had were all stamped 100GBC on the blocks. I thought I had 3 Sport coupe engines!!! As with many things the reality was somewhat different...
Now that makes for interesting reading, If that's the case then its possible that some "100GBC" engines out there are from Vans and so will have the shorter camshaft timing at about 242 degrees rather than camshaft timing of a sport coupe at 256 degrees, I guess the only way of really finding out is the paint dab colour on the camshaft based on the model it came from.

This could be why a certain engine of mine marked 100gbc doesn't seem to be as lively as some others, its likely that i will be looking at a camshaft closely in the next few days

Hmmm interesting reading.

Tim
Likes fiat500 liked this post
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

timmycm850 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 01-05-2019   #375
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 55
Thanks: 3
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Bluebell the 900e Amigo

Quote Originally Posted by fiat500 View Post
Well said. I was coming to the same conclusion, having seen quite a few images of engines on vans embossed with the exact same lettering. It's better from the restoration point of view otherwise I would have difficulty being sure that the manual and parts lists applied to my engine.

I've already cocked-up as I got hold of a reasonably bargain set of timing-gears and chain under the correct kit parts number but find they are very similar but very different.

Bogged down at the moment replacing some very rusty "metal" on the floor of my 500 which was a brand new floor-panel fitted in 2009.
Hi Peter

On the gears hat you received that don't fit, is the gear that fits on the crankshaft much thicker by about 8mm, I'm wondering if the gears you recieved are for a 100gl engine which has a different oil system.

Tim
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

timmycm850 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Reply
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (0 members and 2 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
900 Fiat amigo/pandora 900e/t Kmorganx Auction Watch 3 23-10-2012 19:42
Newbie with Amigo 900E - More power?? jemski Newbie Central 0 01-02-2011 15:19
500 Bluebell suzey Members Motors 5 17-09-2009 22:19
(G) Does this have any value? 4,000 mile 900E Amigo Caravanette Brucewheels 850T / 900 6 12-09-2008 23:25