Register Login
Mr FIAT - Your #1 source for vintage car parts

Old 07-09-2018   #331
Patinated Peter

Trader Rating: 0
fiat500 has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Bluebell the 900e Amigo

The big day has come and the bottom half of the van has been sprayed. It's now going to get a couple of weeks to shrink and cure and I hope that by late September it will still be suitable to find half a day for the final coats. I removed all the masking because I get stressed thinking the tape will get too stuck on and bring off the paint.

FER_4489 by Peter Thompson, on Flickr

FER_4496 by Peter Thompson, on Flickr

I want to finish by doing the whole van in one go so now I've started fitting the doors etc. It was worthwhile adjusting everything before the primer stage as so far, with the tailgate, passenger and side-door fitted it's all gone smoothly. It will be easier to wet-and-dry and to paint everything fully assembled. It also avoids the possibility of me dropping a panel or chipping it as I fit it with its final coat of paint.

FER_4497 by Peter Thompson, on Flickr

Now I have a bit of a shine on it I'm seeing the waviness that I anticipated in some of the panels where I should have spent another eon of my life filling and flatting, but at least there are no horrible sunken patches or signs of the filler.

I like the finished look and judging by how quickly I've progressed assembling things, the van could start to move on very quickly from here on.

Sheila wanted an Italian name so we looked up "Sunshine". So now we'll have to say that Bluebell/Buttercup was reborn today as an adaptation of that word; "Luce" (presumably pronounced "Loo-chay")...so I think that this second name change might also count as a gender change as Luce sounds more like a boy.
Likes Vitesse liked this post

Last edited by fiat500; 07-09-2018 at 21:45.
fiat500 is online now Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 08-09-2018   #332
United Kingdom 

Oh WOW!!!!! I was reading that post with my eyes 👀 wide open in anticipation as I scrolled down. ☀️ looks awesome. I like the little detail with masking on the B post and I assume thatís a C post!!!!!

I bet you are really pleased? Itís one of those cup of tea moments where you keep returning and sitting down to admire your handiwork.

Now you just have to be patient and give it time to cure but I guess the return trip down south to collect Murphio will help with that.

Vitesse is online now Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 08-09-2018   #333
Patinated Peter

fiat500 has donated!
United Kingdom 

Quote Originally Posted by Vitesse View Post
Oh WOW!!!!! I was reading that post with my eyes wide open in anticipation as I scrolled down. ️ looks awesome. I like the little detail with masking on the B post and I assume thatís a C post!!!!!

I bet you are really pleased? Itís one of those cup of tea moments where you keep returning and sitting down to admire your handiwork.

Now you just have to be patient and give it time to cure but I guess the return trip down south to collect Murphio will help with that.
I am quite pleased how it's turned out...a bit radical but it's appropriate for such a fun and quirky vehicle. I didn't want a flat line around the van so following natural moulding lines made sense. Inside the doors is all white. It looks even better now I have the doors fixed on.
There is an A,B,C and even a D post on this thing. All of them, at both sides, have had to be rebuilt and connected to the sills.
Sheila can finally see "it" and next thing is to order a load of trimming materials so I can make an interior.
Likes 1500500 liked this post

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #334
Patinated Peter

fiat500 has donated!
United Kingdom 

After a big gap whilst I've been up and down the UK in my 500, been abroad on holiday, prepared both the modern cars for the MOT, built a temporary carport for the little car and a variety of other jobs, today I finally got my hands back on the van.

I've now got some light-grey roof-lining carpet to replace the cheap and worn brown fabric which is sagging and tatty. It's basically stuck to the inside of the fibreglass so not difficult to replace or remove, but first I tool loads of images. I don't think there can be many people who have got this deep into the restoration of an Amigo roof so there won't be much information about if I get confused.

There is an openable window and it took a while to work out how to remove it as I want to replace the sealant. But short screws secure it and there were no breakages, unlike just about every other screw fixing which has rusted into the timber insets in the fibreglass.

FER_7211 by Peter Thompson, on Flickr

The "wardrobe" is a simple thing to remove and it's just made from hardboard and cheap scraps of timber....this is a very home-made van!

FER_7206 by Peter Thompson, on Flickr
Likes rallycinq liked this post

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #335
Patinated Peter

fiat500 has donated!
United Kingdom 

After a lot of grief caused by steel screws seizing into the aluminium, strut pivot-blocks.

FER_7230 by Peter Thompson, on Flickr

I finally got all the hardware off the roof and was able to strip the lining material.

FER_7300 by Peter Thompson, on Flickr

The fibreglass construction is very well made with a lot of embedded reinforcement timbers and a thin strip of steel encircling the very thin outer edge where the five hinges attach. New hinges which look the same are available for the VW Viking roof and I am waiting for a new batch to be made.
The next stage is to clean up the inside of the roof and re-line it with the thicker new fabric.

I was playing with a new, heavy-duty trolley-jack and cross-beam bought to replace my trusty little Halfords job which has served me for twenty years; it's going to be very helpful in giving access to let me do the final preparation and sealing under the van.

FER_7295 by Peter Thompson, on Flickr

FER_7297 by Peter Thompson, on Flickr

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #336
United Kingdom 

SGS make some really good quality stuff at good prices. My wheel dollies for Luigi are made by them.
Likes fiat500 liked this post

Vitesse is online now Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #337
Patinated Peter

fiat500 has donated!
United Kingdom 

Yes; I highly recommend them both for the quality of their products and the standard of their service. They were really helpful with regards to the struts and the price was a significant saving over every other source where I would also have been buying "blind",

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #338
United Kingdom 

I haven't been on this thread for some time.
I am always impressed with your skill, determination and patience Peter.
Tell me did you honestly think there would be this much work when you started? I think you have nearly rebuilt the bottom half of the car.

Its great too see it finally come to life.

You could have gone for a mix of the teal and yellow!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Scooby Doo.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	195207  

"con grande sacrificio, coraggio, pazienza, determinazione e qualche chilo e il sogno si avvera"
Franko500 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #339
Patinated Peter

fiat500 has donated!
United Kingdom 

Quote Originally Posted by Franko500 View Post
Tell me did you honestly think there would be this much work when you started? I think you have nearly rebuilt the bottom half of the car.

You could have gone for a mix of the teal and yellow!
I actually thought I would be driving around in it, tatty but mechanically sound, within six months.

I have rebuilt the entire bottom 400mm or so....and the rest!

Now I'm at the re-upholstering stage I can't believe that I thought that it would do for me in the original state...the fabric is just falling apart.

FER_7711 by Peter Thompson, on Flickr

Today I've taken tons of photos so that I can emulate the original folds and tucks of the fabric. Then, having stripped away the fabric, foam-padding and water-damaged chipboard paneling I have revealed the inner roof which is surprisingly well preserved. I'm currently scraping the fibreglass clean of the remnants of adhesive and foam so that I can start sticking on the foil insulation.

FER_7706 by Peter Thompson, on Flickr

Pity I never thought of teal and yellow..maybe on the next vehicle?
PS. This just came up on Facebook;
teal and yellow by Peter Thompson, on Flickr
Likes Franko500 liked this post

Last edited by fiat500; 2 Weeks Ago at 23:18.
Old 1 Week Ago   #340
United Kingdom 

Quote Originally Posted by Vitesse View Post
SGS make some really good quality stuff at good prices. My wheel dollies for Luigi are made by them.
Hi
Please can you provide a link to SGS?
I haven't heard of them before and a Google search on SGS doesn't help narrow them down.
Cheers

Gary50 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 1 Week Ago   #341
Patinated Peter

fiat500 has donated!
United Kingdom 

Quote Originally Posted by Gary50 View Post
Hi
Please can you provide a link to SGS?
I haven't heard of them before and a Google search on SGS doesn't help narrow them down.
Cheers
This is the link:

https://www.sgs-engineering.com/gas-struts

The ones I selected are:

GSC2425

These are dimensionally correct for my van but remember, it is the later "Sleeping Giant" version and uses three struts.
The company will give you really good service by email or phone and they even told me that if I have chosen slightly under-powered struts they will recharge them for me.
My contact was Adam Morris and I can't speak too highly of him.

Last edited by fiat500; 1 Week Ago at 09:20.
Old 1 Week Ago   #342
Patinated Peter

fiat500 has donated!
United Kingdom 

I hadn't intended to be quite as thorough as this but in removing the old "carpet" inside the roof I was left with a horrible expanse of old adhesive. By using a scraper, cellulose thinners and some stainless-steel wool I've got it all off so that I have a clean surface to start the re-trim.
Now I can see the fibreglass roof in all its glory I realise that it's an exceptionally clever and well made construction.
Having exposed the inner roof of the cab I'm wondering did these utilitarian vehicles leave the factory without a lining? The material was fitted in a very basic way like the rest of the campervan trim.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	FER_7759.JPG
Size:	3.98 MB
ID:	195266   Click image for larger version

Name:	FER_7760.JPG
Size:	3.44 MB
ID:	195267  

Name:	FER_7766.JPG