17717052334_1044bd2216_b.jpg

900 Bluebell the 900e Amigo

Introduction

We have just taken on the ownership of this camper from Kelly and Karl and hope to have it on the road within the next six months.
17717052334_1044bd2216_b.jpgDSC_6177 by Peter Thompson, on Flickr
Not only is it a really lovely vehicle, it was also a pleasure to buy it from such a genuine and really nice couple. There was a huge amount of interest in the sale and I am really appreciative that I was favoured to be the buyer ; so many thanks Karl.:)
18335728502_1005bcd374_b.jpgDSC_6176 by Peter Thompson, on Flickr
There is a certain amount of essential welding to do underneath, which will add to the welding that has been done in the past. It is currently pretty solid underneath but not as pretty as it could be. I hope to tidy as I go and then work around the bodywork. This has signs of a lot of filler and there is rust poking through in places, but it looks like we will be able to get using it soon.
There are a number of mechanical issue but nothing too onerous and it starts and runs really well.
So a rolling restoration to usable standards.
I just need to get the roof open now!
Watch this space as I document my progress.
Yes Andy, it is quite an interesting shape. I can't decide if the "lid" improves or spoils the "aerodynamics" of the slab-fronted shape.

Pointless to wonder I guess as the added weight must neutralise any potential gains! :D

Jez, I have doen a bit of research and I discovered that Coriasco is actually a commercial coachbuilder and that thy build vehicles on the Fiat chassis. So it's possible that the doors are so different because they may be handmade by them; they are certainly made of sturdy stuff and weigh a ton.:eek:
All the indications are that the pickup body is an extra construction on top of the original floorpan so that the engine doesn't impede it. this leaves a good storage space under the main flatbed with door access.
Perhaps it ispossible to remove the pickup body because of this.

I don't really have time to work on the Amigo yet, but itchy fingers made me do some "deconstruction" today.

The front sill has been plated over and the front outer wheelarch was a bit of a mess.
DSC_8061 by Peter Thompson, on Flickr

I could already see that the inner arch had been plated but I will be glad to extract all these layers and tidy it up.
DSC_8062 by Peter Thompson, on Flickr

A lot of work ahead!!!!!:D

Jez, I have doen a bit of research and I discovered that Coriasco is actually a commercial coachbuilder and that thy build vehicles on the Fiat chassis. So it's possible that the doors are so different because they may be handmade by them; they are certainly made of sturdy stuff and weigh a ton.:eek:
All the indications are that the pickup body is an extra construction on top of the original floorpan so that the engine doesn't impede it. this leaves a good storage space under the main flatbed with door access.
Perhaps it ispossible to remove the pickup body because of this.

Thanks for that information Pete, I wondered why " coriasco" was such a rare term when looking for information regarding the 850 and 900 t. Would make things so much easier if the pick up section is easy to take off. Thanks again.

I had to get rid of that mess I had exposed in the previous posting, not least, because it made it dodgy to turn the wheels.
It took an hour and I must admit I was getting second thoughts about this van already:bang:.
DSC_8915 by Peter Thompson, on Flickr
My orginal intention was to redo all the previous welding repairs but the one on the chassis end revealed here is acceptable if it cleans up well.
It's a relief to get rid of the dead weight and rust traps the old repairs were.

No progress with Bluebell but she's not forgotten...probably going to have to build a garage for the winter first, So there goes my 6 months to get in on the road..:rolleyes: Searching the internet I find that the odometer reads only 900 miles further than on an ad when it sold in early 2012.
But I keep researching and found an old Ebay listing with an image of under the floor of the Coriasco pickup for you,
$_58 by Peter Thompson, on Flickr

It's alovely sunny day, so what better to do than photograph the underneath of the camper.
Looking at the front crossmember it looks very angry to me. There is welding upon welding and all has been daubed with underseal.
DSC_9550 by Peter Thompson, on Flickr
I'm not doubting it might get me through an MOT but I wouldn't want to trust the integrity using the brakes down an alpine pass.:eek::eek:
I am trying to work out if the construction and spotwelding on the support is as straightforward as it looks. I am tempted to drill out all the spot-welds inside the floor and remove it. I would also chop the ends off the outriggers as these have been plated very messily.
I don't think it would present a sheet-metal shop with a great challenge to make a new one in slightly heavier steel and would be a good starting point for all the other front floor and chassis welding that is needed. Phew!!! Even writing about it is hard work.:bang:

Hi Peter,

Unfortunately my Roxy was smashed into by a German visitor right up the back :cry:

I see you have been busy buying panels and I was wondering who you were using to procure them? :)

Cheers Adam

Hi Peter

Are the quarter lights in the (non) replacement doors a fit for the Amigo's?
And if they are are the rubbers in good nick?

The quarter lights in Connie (see my own restoration thread) are completely shot.
The brackets have come detached from the glass and the rubbers are completely perished.

If they are a fit I would be interested in taking them off your hands for a suitable consideration.

Cheers
Gary

I bought another van today...not really, but given that I also have a new side door, I am not far short of a full set of panels.
COR_9978 by Peter Thompson, on Flickr
They are all original Fiat and should help me avoid too much complex welding externally, since the underside is going to demand quite a lot.
COR_9976 by Peter Thompson, on Flickr
I could get a brand new passenger door but it is a bit pricey and I would love to get the left, rear wheelarch panel...must keep searching.

Is this from your chap Peter? I have had a few language problems :(. Have got Roxy at least driving again. Need to find a new boot lid and then the work can begin on the bodywork :)

Sounds like you are having fun :)

Cheers Adam

Adam. I found it easy to use Google translate. But in very short sentences with no commas and simple English.

Adam. Ho trovato facile da usare Google translate. Ma in frasi molto brevi senza virgole e semplice inglese

Last edited:
I've probably said that we're building a house and restoring an Amigo should be last on the list of things to do. So having lost the use of my garage things start looking bleak. As an emergency measure I am building a temporary lean-to, to cover over the van. Having some surplus blocks, which needed moving in any case, I decided to make a temporary floor by just throwing them onto a piece of waste polythene. I might put some OSB over that. It's a start:rolleyes::rolleyes:
COR_0205 by Peter Thompson, on Flickr

Aahhh! It makes me want to kiss her delicate little bottom better:p
It looks like the actual tailgate came out OK.
Unfortunately, as you can see from above, the engine lid and support panel are the least healthy items that Bluebell could be a donor for.
I'll get you some close-up pics by PM and possibly could send the parts on approval to see if they would help if your own have been deemed irreparable.

Back