Technical Amigo 900T Campervan Overheating

Currently reading:
Technical Amigo 900T Campervan Overheating

nickfielding

Hey, I recently posted about my van overheating however I still have the same problem. I have radflushed the radiator which did help a bit. I also fitted the heatshield, which has made things worse if anything. The heating in the van is on full to try to take the heat away from the engine.

It is fine on short journeys, however over heats if I go at 50mph. Hills kill it even if I go very slowly but when I go down hill the temp comes down an awful lot even if I go faster.

Any ideas? I have heard fitting a 850 Sport radiator would solve the problem, however I cannot get hold of one of these. Are there any other options or things I should consider?

Thanks in advance
Nick

Hi there
I can only say what my experience is of Amigo‘s on overheating is as follows.
The main thing is that all floor panels around the engine must be in place. The vents in the side of the van must be clear. The paneling in front of the radiator ( that’s the front of the vans side must be in place including the scup at the bottom which protrudes below the radiator and points towards the rear of the van. ( you probably know all this but I have had vans where this is missing due to corrosion and new owners do not realize that there should be something there). The water pump must have the rubber link to the radiator cowling in place.
The object I believe is for the water pump fan to push the hot engine air forwards through the radiator where it passes out under the rad (i.e. under the floor paneling around the engine) by the ducting already mentioned above. The system draws cold air in from the side vents in the van sides. If the panels are missing around the engine this will not work.
Right, if the above is all correct then the rest is my experience of the vans overheating. The rad must be clear inside , but it is my experience the actual rad gets clogged up through the I think oil mist and dirt etc in the cooling cores (i.e. if you had the rad out and removed the cowling for the fan) I found I could not see through the rad for accumulated dirt ) . I either got a new rad or cleaned it. Cleaning it successfully is difficult yourself. You can also flush the engine.
Other things I found. I inherited the head gasket has gone when I got a van , probably caused by the panels missing around the engine.. Thermostats missing completely, probably took out in a hope to bring the temperature down . Again probably due to missing panels. I have heard of walked or cracked heads. An interesting one was I found that the heater pipes running in the floor of the van where corroded up, along with the heater core in the cab. I replaced these and although in theory they should not effect the temperature I noticed that it did bring it down a bit . Whether this was due to better circulation I do not know. I have heard that the water pump impeller can go, but I have had the bearings go on a pump, but not the impeller. It is important that both belts are correctly tensioned. Make sure your timing is correct . Your oil and water levels are
correct.
I hope this may be of some help

regards fiat 903

Back