Register Login
im Axle Specialists
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #1
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 255
Thanks: 3
Trader Rating: 0
USA 
Is the 500X a good family car?

My mom will eventually be looking for a good family vehicle (there our 3 people in our family, me, my mom, my dad, and our dog.) she was looking at some Lexus, and Audi vehicles, but I told her that 500x is pretty good and it is something that we will be comfortable with as we've owned 1 other FCA vehicle in the past, and our 500 1.4 Pop so we are very familiar with FCA products. Is the 500x a good car for the snow, is it good on fuel, and is it good for comfort? We know about the reliability already and can easily live with that. We would get the new 1.3 Turbo with AWD.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

Rocco Reviews is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #2
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Berkshire, UK
Posts: 1,376
Thanks: 88
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Is the 500X a good family car?

Best thing to do is go and try one. I found it to have adequate legroom for four sub-6ft adults, but the boot isn't enormous. Comfy seats, but a firm ride on lower profile tyres. I went on several long trips in mine and arrived feeling comfortable after 2-3 hours at the wheel.
I haven't any experience of the new engines, mine was the 1.4 Multiair petrol, which pulled well but wasn't the most economical - I got low 30s mpg around town, low 40s on a long run.
I only drove in snow a couple of times, and like most cars it wasn't good on summer tyres. Mine wasn't 4wd. Both our cars now have all season tyres, which are still good in summer and a massive improvement in snow grip.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

TrevC is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #3
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 255
Thanks: 3
Trader Rating: 0
USA 
Re: Is the 500X a good family car?

Thanks. Itís good to actually drive one instead of impulse buying one. Were about a year or so away from that happening, but that gives me a year or two to research.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

Rocco Reviews is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #4
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 802
Thanks: 41
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Is the 500X a good family car?

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Reviews View Post
Thanks. Itís good to actually drive one instead of impulse buying one. Were about a year or so away from that happening, but that gives me a year or two to research.


They don't always advertise it, but Fiat will frequently let you have a 24 hour trst drive *if you ask for one*. I had the benefit of one, drove about 200 miles in the time I had it, over a variety or roads and traffic conditions, and was able to form a much better opinion than just 30 minutes or so would have done. With dealers desperate to get back to selling cars again, now might be a good time to ask for one, even if you're not ready to buy yet.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

Alanw47 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #5
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 255
Thanks: 3
Trader Rating: 0
USA 
Is the 500X a good family car?

Quote Originally Posted by Alanw47 View Post
They don't always advertise it, but Fiat will frequently let you have a 24 hour trst drive *if you ask for one*. I had the benefit of one, drove about 200 miles in the time I had it, over a variety or roads and traffic conditions, and was able to form a much better opinion than just 30 minutes or so would have done. With dealers desperate to get back to selling cars again, now might be a good time to ask for one, even if you're not ready to buy yet.


Are you in the UK? I donít think FIAT would let you do that here because America is so big that you can go a very long distance in 24 hours, and who knows what load gets put on them. Also the virus is sort of an issue with spreading germs around. Iíll look into it though when it actually comes time to start seriously looking at them.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides


Last edited by Rocco Reviews; 2 Weeks Ago at 08:10.
Rocco Reviews is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #6
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 802
Thanks: 41
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Is the 500X a good family car?

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Reviews View Post
Are you in the UK? I donít think FIAT would let you do that here because America is so big that you can go a very long distance in 24 hours, and who knows what load gets put on them. Also the virus is sort of an issue with spreading germs around. Iíll look into it though when it actually comes time to start seriously looking at them.


Yes, I'm in the UK and it was a Fiat campaign at that that time. Several other manufactures have done similar from time to time. Granted the virus might have an impact on availabity but a Demonstrator is just a 'tool' and sold off at reduced price when it has done its job.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

Alanw47 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #7
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Warwickshire
Posts: 835
Thanks: 31
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Is the 500X a good family car?

18" Alloys on our Cross Plus looks great but you will get a better ride/comfort with smaller diameter wheels.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

Nello is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #8
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Norfolk UK
Posts: 10,708
Thanks: 509
Blog Entries: 8
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Is the 500X a good family car?

Given that fiat have already pulled the 500 out of the us and that was over 6 months ago, I suspect the 500x is on borrowed time, it is literally the only fiat still being sold in the US which will make people nervous. The dealer network is quite weak and as much as the cars are ok there as still many other cars available in the use that are just as good. In the future getting parts may prove costly and difficult and they could just as easily remove the 500x from sale in the next year or so.

So Iíd not be looking to buy one in the US but the decision to buy one could be taken out of your hands if you spend too long thinking about it.


I donít know how old you are Rocco but do you drive yourself ? If your parents are in the market for an Audi or Lexus, then a 500x is definitely not in the same league.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

AndyRKett is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #9
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Southampton, Hampshire
Posts: 4,255
Thanks: 309
Trader Rating: 0
s130 has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Is the 500X a good family car?

If Fiat are cutting US model I wonder if they are going to focus on Jeep with the Renegade being the 500X brother and thus their new "small" car replacement for the 500.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

s130 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #10
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 255
Thanks: 3
Trader Rating: 0
USA 
Re: Is the 500X a good family car?

Quote Originally Posted by AndyRKett View Post
Given that fiat have already pulled the 500 out of the us and that was over 6 months ago, I suspect the 500x is on borrowed time, it is literally the only fiat still being sold in the US which will make people nervous. The dealer network is quite weak and as much as the cars are ok there as still many other cars available in the use that are just as good. In the future getting parts may prove costly and difficult and they could just as easily remove the 500x from sale in the next year or so.



So Iíd not be looking to buy one in the US but the decision to buy one could be taken out of your hands if you spend too long thinking about it.





I donít know how old you are Rocco but do you drive yourself ? If your parents are in the market for an Audi or Lexus, then a 500x is definitely not in the same league.


They still sell the 124, 500L, and 500X here. Iím 14 years old so I donít drive, but I am aware that they are not in the same league, and I brought it up because after a few years, if the electronics go out on more expensive cars; itís going to cost more to fix. I found the 500X is a good balance, if you get the right trim level. I am a car fan so I do a lot of research on cars.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

Rocco Reviews is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #11
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Norfolk UK
Posts: 10,708
Thanks: 509
Blog Entries: 8
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Is the 500X a good family car?

The 124 spider had already halted production for Europe and is expected to stop production by the end of the year in the US (fiat just arenít making them anymore) that will leave the 500L and the 500X given that fiat has also merged recently with peugeot I cannot see the 500L production continuing and with Jeep in the US I could easily see fiat pulling out of the US entirely, my understanding is 500X sales in the states are terrible.

The 500x might make sense in the uk and Europe but it doesnít really compare with US cars built for us roads and running on cheap US gas. And again as I understand the Fiat is also relatively expensive for the US market

If the electronics go wrong on a Fiat in the US getting hold of parts will be a challenge as will finding anyone who knows how to or wants to get involved with fixing it. And finally those parts will not be cheap, because demand for the parts will be low and production runs will be small meaning either higher prices for US/Mexican made parts or having to ship them in from Europe.

Youíre talking about having a year or two to think about it, I think the decision will be taken out of your hands.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides


Last edited by AndyRKett; 2 Weeks Ago at 19:05.
AndyRKett is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #12
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 255
Thanks: 3
Trader Rating: 0
USA 
Is the 500X a good family car?

Quote Originally Posted by AndyRKett View Post
The 124 spider had already halted production for Europe and is expected to stop production by the end of the year in the US (fiat just arenít making them anymore) that will leave the 500L and the 500X given that fiat has also merged recently with peugeot I cannot see the 500L production continuing and with Jeep in the US I could easily see fiat pulling out of the US entirely, my understanding is 500X sales in the states are terrible.



The 500x might make sense in the uk and Europe but it doesnít really compare with US cars built for us roads and running on cheap US gas. And again as I understand the Fiat is also relatively expensive for the US market



If the electronics go wrong on a Fiat in the US getting hold of parts will be a challenge as will finding anyone who knows how to or wants to get involved with fixing it. And finally those parts will not be cheap, because demand for the parts will be low and production runs will be small meaning either higher prices for US/Mexican made parts or having to ship them in from Europe.



Youíre talking about having a year or two to think about it, I think the decision will be taken out of your hands.


Yeah, Weíre hopeful that FIAT wonít take it out of the US, I hope not because itís a nice car, Iíve sat in a Trekking once and it had the leather interior and it very comfortable, and had a lot of space. There is a chance that the upcoming 500XL will be hitting America. FIAT told Auto Express that combining the L and the X might be the way to go. Luckily there are other FCA cars with the same platform that are really good too. I feel like ever since Laura Soave left FIAT in 2012, the company was on a downhill since, but Iím keeping my hopes up. FIAT really wants to expand the lineup in the US. American want crossovers, so thatís why the 500 is gone. I still see a lot of 500Xís around. We love our little 500, and would hate to see FIAT go. I think it will be fine.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides


Last edited by Rocco Reviews; 2 Weeks Ago at 19:22.
Rocco Reviews is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #13
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Norfolk UK
Posts: 10,708
Thanks: 509
Blog Entries: 8
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Is the 500X a good family car?

There has already been a Fiat 500XL or extra large, which was a 7 seat version of the 500L someone local to me had one as I regularly see it at the supermarket
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

AndyRKett is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #14
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 255
Thanks: 3
Trader Rating: 0
USA 
Is the 500X a good family car?

Quote Originally Posted by AndyRKett View Post
There has already been a Fiat 500XL or extra large, which was a 7 seat version of the 500L someone local to me had one as I regularly see it at the supermarket


Have you seen the renders for the replacement for it? The XL is mixing the 500X and the 500L.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

Rocco Reviews is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #15
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Southampton, Hampshire
Posts: 4,255
Thanks: 309
Trader Rating: 0
s130 has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Is the 500X a good family car?

A slight digression but it is coming to the point where you buy a car.

Audi, VW, Scoda, Porshe = same company one car
Fiat, Jeep, PSA, = same company one car
Etc....

Over time design, production, quality, etc. will migrate to a common base where like with Audi, VW, Scoda, ... you are getting the same basic product but paying for the badge. A slight exaggeration but still a basic trend and fact.

You only have to look at the components of a modern car to realise that the car is just a collection of parts also used in other cars. What will be unique is design and styling but even that differential has been eroded over the years.
Thanks FiatFleetFamily thanked for this post
Likes varesecrazy liked this post
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

s130 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Reply
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
(G) 500X cross plus - Good first car fiatfan18 500X 54 02-04-2018 13:38
(G) is the auto 500X any good? 4x4Panda 500X 9 30-04-2016 22:17
I've just become a 2 car family The Beard Non-FIAT 0 16-05-2015 02:02
Good little buy for someone wanting to join the boo family? Stu FIAT Boo Archives 1 06-05-2008 00:53
New car in the family patrick FIAT Boo Archives 9 07-07-2006 16:02