Register Login
im Axle Specialists
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #16
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Southampton, Hampshire
Posts: 3,941
Thanks: 288
Trader Rating: 0
s130 has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Flickering lights

Another thought along the lines of power loading/drain.

Is this light modulation happening after starting and during the engine warm up period?

If so then the 500X has an internal electrical heater in the climate control unit. I don't know the wattage but is does draw significant current. If this is regualting itself by turning on/off then this may be a cause/explanation. Also some 500X models come with heat heaters and steering wheel heater.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

s130 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #17
FKA Goodcoin
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Lithuania
Posts: 419
Thanks: 11
Trader Rating: 0
Geolith has donated!
Lithuania 
Re: Flickering lights

Quote Originally Posted by s130 View Post
Another thought along the lines of power loading/drain.

Is this light modulation happening after starting and during the engine warm up period?

If so then the 500X has an internal electrical heater in the climate control unit. I don't know the wattage but is does draw significant current. If this is regualting itself by turning on/off then this may be a cause/explanation. Also some 500X models come with heat heaters and steering wheel heater.
It just happens at idle, doesn't matter if the engine is cold or warm.

Yes, the car has electric heating for the front seats and the wheel, but it doesn't work "in the background" or something like that, it's either on or off. When using the "remote start" feature, if the outside temperature is below 5C, the heater (along with the window defrosters) switches on automatically. Otherwise it's strictly on manual control.

I tried switching off the AC, the dash cam, the radio. The "modulation" stops only when the engine is off and the car is purely on battery. The lights are perfectly steady with engine off. Also, they should be fine when the car is on the move, but I need to confirm that. I'll leave the interior lights on and drive around a bit to see what's happening.
__________________
Current car: 2016 FIAT 500X Lounge, 2.4 petrol, 9-speed auto, AWD. Previous car: 2007 VW Golf Plus, 1.9 TDI, 6-speed manual.
Geolith is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #18
FKA Goodcoin
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Lithuania
Posts: 419
Thanks: 11
Trader Rating: 0
Geolith has donated!
Lithuania 
Re: Flickering lights

So, I drove around with the overhead console lamps on for a while and it seems that the lights "even out" at higher RPM. Has to be related to the alternator, no?
__________________
Current car: 2016 FIAT 500X Lounge, 2.4 petrol, 9-speed auto, AWD. Previous car: 2007 VW Golf Plus, 1.9 TDI, 6-speed manual.
Geolith is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #19
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Southampton, Hampshire
Posts: 3,941
Thanks: 288
Trader Rating: 0
s130 has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Flickering lights

Quote Originally Posted by Geolith View Post
So, I drove around with the overhead console lamps on for a while and it seems that the lights "even out" at higher RPM. Has to be related to the alternator, no?
Well yes, but as previously mentioned/discussed it could be alternator, battery, connections etc.

You need to do, or get someone to do, some basic electrical diagnostic tests.

While i think of it is your 500X a diesel or petrol engine?
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

s130 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #20
FKA Goodcoin
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Lithuania
Posts: 419
Thanks: 11
Trader Rating: 0
Geolith has donated!
Lithuania 
Re: Flickering lights

Quote Originally Posted by s130 View Post
While i think of it is your 500X a diesel or petrol engine?
It's petrol. The essential car specs are in my signature.
__________________
Current car: 2016 FIAT 500X Lounge, 2.4 petrol, 9-speed auto, AWD. Previous car: 2007 VW Golf Plus, 1.9 TDI, 6-speed manual.
Geolith is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #21
FKA Goodcoin
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Lithuania
Posts: 419
Thanks: 11
Trader Rating: 0
Geolith has donated!
Lithuania 
Re: Flickering lights

UPDATE: OK, my local Fiat service confirmed that it's an alternator issue. As they explained, there's a part inside the alternator which regulates the output curve or something, and it seems to be failing. You can't replace that part separately, only the whole alternator, and that's costly. They are looking into an option of repairing it, which would cost considerably less.
__________________
Current car: 2016 FIAT 500X Lounge, 2.4 petrol, 9-speed auto, AWD. Previous car: 2007 VW Golf Plus, 1.9 TDI, 6-speed manual.
Geolith is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #22
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Southampton, Hampshire
Posts: 3,941
Thanks: 288
Trader Rating: 0
s130 has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Flickering lights

Well progress then.

They are suspecting the alternators regulator pack. Sound fair/resonable to me.

I've checked for my 500X 140 Manual and the regulator is common to a number of Fiat vehicle alternators.

FB07 - ALTERNATORE VARIE
Availability: Product that can be ordered
Macro-family: M Minimum quantity per package: 0
Weight (grams): 90 Listed price(1): 98,36 EUR
Measurement unit: Num Price including taxes: 120,00 EUR

NOW PLEASE DO NOT use the above information as this was for my VIN/chassis number.

What is does show is that the regulator pack should be a available for your car but at a whopping 100 / 120 Euros. A brand new Fiat alternator is 400Euros

At these Fiat prices one is possibly better off with an exchange / replacement unit from the after market / OEM options. A quick web search shows there are exchange unit available for around 170 inc vat. All depends on if the regulator pack can be replaced in situe for a reduced labour time compared to alternator removal and replacement etc. AND that if a regulator pack does not solve the problem the garage will absorb the cost based on their diagnosis?
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides


Last edited by s130; 3 Weeks Ago at 18:43.
s130 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #23
FKA Goodcoin
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Lithuania
Posts: 419
Thanks: 11
Trader Rating: 0
Geolith has donated!
Lithuania 
Re: Flickering lights

Quote Originally Posted by s130 View Post
At these Fiat prices one is possibly better off with an exchange / replacement unit from the after market / OEM options. A quick web search shows there are exchange unit available for around 170 inc vat. All depends on if the regulator pack can be replaced in situe for a reduced labour time compared to alternator removal and replacement etc. AND that if a regulator pack does not solve the problem the garage will absorb the cost based on their diagnosis?
They said that the repair would cost roughly 100 EUR, but they are not doing this kind of work themselves, they need to send the car to a different shop, and those guys need to examine the part first to see what exactly is going on with the regulator.

They also said that the regulator is NOT available for purchase separately, only the whole alternator. They quoted around 500 EUR for the original part. There seem to be cheaper alternatives on the Web, but I don't want to gamble with that. Also, there's an option to get an used alternator from the local car scavengers, and I'm currently looking into that.
__________________
Current car: 2016 FIAT 500X Lounge, 2.4 petrol, 9-speed auto, AWD. Previous car: 2007 VW Golf Plus, 1.9 TDI, 6-speed manual.
Geolith is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #24
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Southampton, Hampshire
Posts: 3,941
Thanks: 288
Trader Rating: 0
s130 has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Flickering lights

Quote Originally Posted by Geolith View Post
They said that the repair would cost roughly 100 EUR, but they are not doing this kind of work themselves, they need to send the car to a different shop, and those guys need to examine the part first to see what exactly is going on with the regulator.

They also said that the regulator is NOT available for purchase separately, only the whole alternator. They quoted around 500 EUR for the original part. There seem to be cheaper alternatives on the Web, but I don't want to gamble with that. Also, there's an option to get an used alternator from the local car scavengers, and I'm currently looking into that.
Repair at around 100 Euros sounds reasonable and yes a specialist electrical shop is appropriate if advised.

On the availability of the regulator separately then I have to beg to differ as Fiat list this as an avialable service part, but not cheap as previously mentioned.

It could be that you garage has access to to the Fiat ePER/keyPER parts/online system but do not know how to drill down. On initial/first observation of presented data then only the alternator appears to be available. However there is a little symbol to the right that when clicked will give a breakdown list of available separate components parts. This is how I found the regulator component and part number.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

s130 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #25
FKA Goodcoin
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Lithuania
Posts: 419
Thanks: 11
Trader Rating: 0
Geolith has donated!
Lithuania 
Re: Flickering lights

Quote Originally Posted by s130 View Post
It could be that you garage has access to to the Fiat ePER/keyPER parts/online system but do not know how to drill down. On initial/first observation of presented data then only the alternator appears to be available. However there is a little symbol to the right that when clicked will give a breakdown list of available separate components parts. This is how I found the regulator component and part number.
That could be the case, actually. Could you please give me a screenshot of this breakdown list, so that I can show it to my service manager?
__________________
Current car: 2016 FIAT 500X Lounge, 2.4 petrol, 9-speed auto, AWD. Previous car: 2007 VW Golf Plus, 1.9 TDI, 6-speed manual.
Geolith is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #26
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Southampton, Hampshire
Posts: 3,941
Thanks: 288
Trader Rating: 0
s130 has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Flickering lights

Quote Originally Posted by Geolith View Post
That could be the case, actually. Could you please give me a screenshot of this breakdown list, so that I can show it to my service manager?


Alternator P/N: is in top left corner.

You parts/service manager can just ePER search for the regulator part number 77365838 and he should end up with the same information/image.

NOTE! This is for my 500X Cross Plus 1.4 MultiAir II 2015 vehicle. Your guy should use your chassis number to drill down. Hint. When he/she locates the GENERATOR (Alternator) in the side menu and follows the generator selection and not the battery, then only the generator will be shown. However on the identification/part number line at the end of the line there is a little Square icon with a little diagonal arrow pointing down to the bottom right corner. This is what you click on the get the breakdown of component parts.
Thanks Geolith thanked for this post
Likes varesecrazy liked this post
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides


Last edited by s130; 3 Weeks Ago at 12:17.
s130 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #27
FKA Goodcoin
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Lithuania
Posts: 419
Thanks: 11
Trader Rating: 0
Geolith has donated!
Lithuania 
Re: Flickering lights

Quote Originally Posted by s130 View Post
NOTE! This is for my 500X Cross Plus 1.4 MultiAir II 2015 vehicle. Your guy should use your chassis number to drill down. Hint. When he/she locates the GENERATOR (Alternator) in the side menu and follows the generator selection and not the battery, then only the generator will be shown. However on the identification/part number line at the end of the line there is a little Square icon with a little diagonal arrow pointing down to the bottom right corner. This is what you click on the get the breakdown of component parts.
My chassis number won't help him, because the car is for the US market and the VIN is not searchable in the European databases. Anyway, thanks for the help, much appreciated!
__________________
Current car: 2016 FIAT 500X Lounge, 2.4 petrol, 9-speed auto, AWD. Previous car: 2007 VW Golf Plus, 1.9 TDI, 6-speed manual.
Geolith is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #28
FKA Goodcoin
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Lithuania
Posts: 419
Thanks: 11
Trader Rating: 0
Geolith has donated!
Lithuania 
Re: Flickering lights

UPDATE: I heard back from my service manager on this. As it turns out, he was searching Mopar's American database, because the US chassis numbers don't show up in ePER. Probably it's the same catalogue I use for the reference, and it indeed doesn't allow any alternator parts to be ordered separately, only the whole alternator at the whooping cost of $572.00.

Now the problem is that my alternator seems to be specific for the 2.4 L petrol engine, and while it can be interchanged with a whole range of FCA's US-based vehicles with the same engine, I fear that the European engines most likely use different alternators. Unfortunately, part numbers don't really help here, because the American and European parts use different numbering systems.

In short, it's a grey area. We could order a voltage regulator for, say, the 2.0 L European petrol engine and hope it fits, but it's a gamble, really. Still, I asked my guy to look into those options and I'll be waiting to hear from him on that.

EDIT: I just realized the 2.0 L is a diesel engine, not petrol. Scratch that.
__________________
Current car: 2016 FIAT 500X Lounge, 2.4 petrol, 9-speed auto, AWD. Previous car: 2007 VW Golf Plus, 1.9 TDI, 6-speed manual.

Last edited by Geolith; 3 Weeks Ago at 13:22.
Geolith is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #29
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: West Yorkshire
Posts: 1,619
Thanks: 74
Trader Rating: 0
chris3234 has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Flickering lights

Quote Originally Posted by Geolith View Post
UPDATE: I heard back from my service manager on this. As it turns out, he was searching Mopar's American database, because the US chassis numbers don't show up in ePER. Probably it's the same catalogue I use for the reference, and it indeed doesn't allow any alternator parts to be ordered separately, only the whole alternator at the whooping cost of $572.00.

Now the problem is that my alternator seems to be specific for the 2.4 L petrol engine, and while it can be interchanged with a whole range of FCA's US-based vehicles with the same engine, I fear that the European engines most likely use different alternators. Unfortunately, part numbers don't really help here, because the American and European parts use different numbering systems.

In short, it's a grey area. We could order a voltage regulator for, say, the 2.0 L European petrol engine and hope it fits, but it's a gamble, really. Still, I asked my guy to look into those options and I'll be waiting to hear from him on that.

EDIT: I just realized the 2.0 L is a diesel engine, not petrol. Scratch that.
Doubt anything from the EU engine range will fit
Fiat don't have anything above 1.6 l now other then the diesels fitted to the commercial range
And the 2.4 over there isn't a fiat engine's it probably a jeep or Chrysler engine
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

chris3234 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #30
FKA Goodcoin
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Lithuania
Posts: 419
Thanks: 11
Trader Rating: 0
Geolith has donated!
Lithuania 
Re: Flickering lights

Quote Originally Posted by chris3234 View Post
And the 2.4 over there isn't a fiat engine's it probably a jeep or Chrysler engine
Yep, it's a Chrysler engine used in many of their Jeeps.
__________________
Current car: 2016 FIAT 500X Lounge, 2.4 petrol, 9-speed auto, AWD. Previous car: 2007 VW Golf Plus, 1.9 TDI, 6-speed manual.
Geolith is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Reply
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
(T) All lights are flickering petros3p Bravo 8 04-01-2018 12:09
(T) Flickering lights devilbelly Cinquecento / Seicento 1 03-02-2017 18:45
(T) Flickering lights jte Punto (Mk2/2b) 4 31-10-2015 00:39
(G) Flickering lights Ricky Chopper Grande Punto 1 29-10-2012 09:28
(T) Lights Flickering topcat5 Doblo 9 06-11-2007 23:38