Register Login
Lamps by Post - For all your lighting needs
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 16-03-2017   #1
Ohhh my, yes.
 
Garree001's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,231
Thanks: 33
Trader Rating: 0
Garree001 has donated!
United Kingdom 
Known 500x faults

Hi all,

It has been a while since my last visit. Former GP Sporting owner, who didn't have the best of times, but it wasn't as bad as my subsequent Vauxhall and Ford dalliances! The Corsa always gave me reason to hold my breath (which is a shame as it's just a GP underneath) and the drama I have had with Ford and their 65-plate Fiesta is beyond belief, resulting in me now having solicitor's letters from them!

Aaaanyway, long story short, I will soon be in the market for a new car and I have decided that I really like driving the 500x that I currently have as a hire car. It's spacious, it's pretty good fun to drive and on the whole, it gives a decent view of the road, it's reasonably comfortable and it's just a nice place to sit. This is with the exception of the headrest which is like a brick digging into my back, which I can deal with! I am tall and fat, so it's half my fault anyway. The only other bother is that the pedals (clutch in particular) seem to be extremely slippery.

I have had a comb through the forum but cannot find anything of note, so I was wondering... are there any common/known issues with the 500x? I am looking at getting a nearly new 1.4 multi-air in either cross-plus trim, or lounge trim.

The hire car I have is a 1.6 multijet and to be honest, on the move it's pleasingly quick. I went on a run down to the west country from London down the A303 and then on various smaller roads and I was stunned at just how quick it was in the 20-50mph range it was. It felt a lot faster than the slightly mediocre figures suggested. That being said, it's painfully slow from a standing start, particularly because it gets breathless instantly.

So my next question is - how does the 1.4 multi-air compare to the 1.6 multijet? Will it be the same laugh on the run? I am cautious about getting a diesel as my journeys are predominantly short, in town hops. I would therefore be worried about the EGR, DPF, etc.

Thanks for any and all replies and it's nice to pop back
__________________
Quote Originally Posted by karbineftw View Post
It sure looks like it's erect from my angle.
Quote Originally Posted by volxstu View Post
Hit somebody at 50.. they die. Hit somebody at 60.. they die quicker.
Signature by alexh365
Garree001 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 16-03-2017   #2
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Berkshire, UK
Posts: 817
Thanks: 51
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Known 500x faults

Hi Garree
I got my September 2015 500X Multiair Lounge a few weeks ago, a bit soon for a comprehensive report but here are my initial thoughts/experiences.
Nicely trimmed, with good quality materials. Infotainment system and satnav work well.
Performance is pretty decent, it feels quite quick in "Sport" mode. I haven't driven a diesel so I don't know how it compares. I've been getting mid-30s mpg in mixed driving, 43 on a steady motorway run.
The Lounge trim comes with 18 inch 45 profile tyres, which result in a firmish ride and a bit of road noise, more noticeable as the engine is very quiet.
I had a minor problem with a doorhandle and boot release, now sorted under warranty. In general, very pleased with it. It's obvious advice, but test drive the version you are interested in before buying!
Have fun, good luck.
Likes varesecrazy liked this post
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

TrevC is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 16-03-2017   #3
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 313
Thanks: 9
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Known 500x faults

See if Fiat will let you have a 24 hour Test Drive. I had one before buying mine and put about 200 miles on it, long enough for me decide that had to have one.
Likes varesecrazy liked this post
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

Alanw47 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 16-03-2017   #4
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: The Garden Of England
Posts: 122
Thanks: 5
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Known 500x faults

Quote Originally Posted by Alanw47 View Post
See if Fiat will let you have a 24 hour Test Drive. I had one before buying mine and put about 200 miles on it, long enough for me decide that had to have one.
The Current Ex-Mrs Spike did just that too, even bought the same colour as the one she tested.

Book a test drive here https://www.fiat.co.uk/test-drive they'll call you, they were really good about finding the right spec for the test drive too.

Spike
Thanks varesecrazy thanked for this post
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

Funky Spike is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 16-03-2017   #5
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Bishopton, Renfrewshire
Posts: 8
Thanks: 0
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Known 500x faults

Quote Originally Posted by Garree001 View Post
Hi all,

It has been a while since my last visit. Former GP Sporting owner, who didn't have the best of times, but it wasn't as bad as my subsequent Vauxhall and Ford dalliances! The Corsa always gave me reason to hold my breath (which is a shame as it's just a GP underneath) and the drama I have had with Ford and their 65-plate Fiesta is beyond belief, resulting in me now having solicitor's letters from them!

Aaaanyway, long story short, I will soon be in the market for a new car and I have decided that I really like driving the 500x that I currently have as a hire car. It's spacious, it's pretty good fun to drive and on the whole, it gives a decent view of the road, it's reasonably comfortable and it's just a nice place to sit. This is with the exception of the headrest which is like a brick digging into my back, which I can deal with! I am tall and fat, so it's half my fault anyway. The only other bother is that the pedals (clutch in particular) seem to be extremely slippery.

I have had a comb through the forum but cannot find anything of note, so I was wondering... are there any common/known issues with the 500x? I am looking at getting a nearly new 1.4 multi-air in either cross-plus trim, or lounge trim.

The hire car I have is a 1.6 multijet and to be honest, on the move it's pleasingly quick. I went on a run down to the west country from London down the A303 and then on various smaller roads and I was stunned at just how quick it was in the 20-50mph range it was. It felt a lot faster than the slightly mediocre figures suggested. That being said, it's painfully slow from a standing start, particularly because it gets breathless instantly.

So my next question is - how does the 1.4 multi-air compare to the 1.6 multijet? Will it be the same laugh on the run? I am cautious about getting a diesel as my journeys are predominantly short, in town hops. I would therefore be worried about the EGR, DPF, etc.

Thanks for any and all replies and it's nice to pop back
I've recently come from an AR Giulietta with the same 1.6jtdm engine as in the 500x. Now in Multiair Cross.
First thing you'll notice is fuel consumption.
The Multiair, thus far, averaging around 32mpg (mix of roads and short/longer journeys) whereas the diesel in the AR averaged around 50; same roads mix, To be fair, my 500x only has 850 miles on it so I'm expecting things to improve over the next few months.
Performance: in my opinion, nite and day. Yes the diesel has lots of low end grunt but the Multiair is far quicker out on the open road; makes a nice noise too!
Not a direct comparison, I know, as 2 different cars. AR had sports suspension, handled really well, and was so pretty! 500x rolls more (as you'd expect) and isn't as pretty.
Just my thoughts having owned cars with both engines.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides


Last edited by luigibishopton; 16-03-2017 at 20:52.
luigibishopton is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 16-03-2017   #6
Ohhh my, yes.
 
Garree001's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,231
Thanks: 33
Trader Rating: 0
Garree001 has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Known 500x faults

Thanks all for your thoughts. I will see whether I can lay my hands on a petrol one, so I can compare it to the diesel that I already have. Can also see whether I can gauge the fuel economy.

My Fiesta was/is a 1.0 EcoBoost 125 on 17in alloys, so it has quite a choppy right. I find the 500x to be more tolerable to be honest. It was also averaging just 34mpg in town. These small turbos are quite thirsty when they want to be! So I expect the 1.4 turbo will be thirstier.

Any thoughts on common problems and general reliability, beyond the broken pieces of trim?

Thanks again.
Likes varesecrazy liked this post
__________________
Quote Originally Posted by karbineftw View Post
It sure looks like it's erect from my angle.
Quote Originally Posted by volxstu View Post
Hit somebody at 50.. they die. Hit somebody at 60.. they die quicker.
Signature by alexh365
Garree001 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 16-03-2017   #7
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Berkshire, UK
Posts: 817
Thanks: 51
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Known 500x faults

Worth looking at real mpg here: http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/fiat/500x-2015
Not too many faults reported here yet: http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar.../?section=good
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

TrevC is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 17-03-2017   #8
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Berkshire, UK
Posts: 817
Thanks: 51
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Known 500x faults

Just thought of something else to check - luggage space, if that's a concern. The Cross version I saw in the showroom had a deeper boot than the Lounge I bought. This is because my car has a false floor in the boot, which is level with the loading lip, and underneath is the spare wheel (space saver) and some storage space, jack etc. When the seatbacks are folded they are flush with the boot floor.
The versions with the deeper boot have no spare wheel. My handbook shows a boot floor that can be set in two positions, but I don't know which models have this.
No idea if any of this bothers you!
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

TrevC is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 18-03-2017   #9
Ohhh my, yes.
 
Garree001's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,231
Thanks: 33
Trader Rating: 0
Garree001 has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Known 500x faults

Thanks. Coming from a Corsa and then Fiesta, the boot in the 500x (even with the false floor in place) is cavernous!

I have worked out that the hire car is a Cross Plus model. The specification is a little weird in places though - it has xenons and satnav, but no auto lights and wipers. It has a second LCD screen, but no folding mirrors. Guess I have been spoilt by a well equipped Fiesta which also happens to be built by idiots!
__________________
Quote Originally Posted by karbineftw View Post
It sure looks like it's erect from my angle.
Quote Originally Posted by volxstu View Post
Hit somebody at 50.. they die. Hit somebody at 60.. they die quicker.
Signature by alexh365
Garree001 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 18-03-2017   #10
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Berkshire, UK
Posts: 817
Thanks: 51
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Known 500x faults

Yes, the Lounge has the same foibles - I'm disappointed that the mirrors don't fold. The Cross Plus is top of the Off Road Look range, the Lounge top of the City Look range. We went for the Lounge because we liked the light coloured part leather which, along with the body coloured dash, brightens up the interior.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

TrevC is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 18-03-2017   #11
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Greenock
Posts: 81
Thanks: 5
Trader Rating: 0
Skbar247 has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Known 500x faults

Quote Originally Posted by TrevC View Post
Yes, the Lounge has the same foibles - I'm disappointed that the mirrors don't fold. The Cross Plus is top of the Off Road Look range, the Lounge top of the City Look range. We went for the Lounge because we liked the light coloured part leather which, along with the body coloured dash, brightens up the interior.
Folding mirrors were part of an extras pack which included self dimming interior mirror, I have them on my popstar. Only the very basic model does without auto lights and wipers, you need to set them up in the u connect central screen, info will be in the user handbook.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

Skbar247 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 18-03-2017   #12
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Yorkshire
Posts: 168
Thanks: 9
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Known 500x faults

Run our Cross Plus for a few thousand miles now, went for 1.6D as mine spends most of its life out of town; it's averaging 54mpg; which I'm happy with, but a million miles (yes I exaggerate ) from Fiat's figures... all manufacturers just outright lie, I don't know how they get away with it.

Back on topic... no problems with the car and there doesn't seem to be much of any significance out there either (you'll always get the odd case) so seem very reliable.

Spec is mad though, some bits more than you'd expect and other bits less. For instance I'd happily have dropped built in Nav (built in is never better than aftermarket) and had auto lights and heated folding mirrors.

But these are only minor quibbles and overall I'm really enjoying the car. The ride is firm but well damped (not joggly or bouncy) and the cabin noise is excellent, very refined, the only real noise is from the silly 18" alloys which I'm going to swap... it's the Cross version it should have smaller wheels and all terrain tyres imho.

Oh and I can't fathom for the life of me how to get the 'follow me home lights' to work .

Hope that helps.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

robotdancer is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 18-03-2017   #13
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 313
Thanks: 9
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Known 500x faults

Quote Originally Posted by robotdancer View Post
Run our Cross Plus for a few thousand miles now, went for 1.6D as mine spends most of its life out of town; it's averaging 54mpg; which I'm happy with, but a million miles (yes I exaggerate ) from Fiat's figures... all manufacturers just outright lie, I don't know how they get away with it.

Back on topic... no problems with the car and there doesn't seem to be much of any significance out there either (you'll always get the odd case) so seem very reliable.

Spec is mad though, some bits more than you'd expect and other bits less. For instance I'd happily have dropped built in Nav (built in is never better than aftermarket) and had auto lights and heated folding mirrors.

But these are only minor quibbles and overall I'm really enjoying the car. The ride is firm but well damped (not joggly or bouncy) and the cabin noise is excellent, very refined, the only real noise is from the silly 18" alloys which I'm going to swap... it's the Cross version it should have smaller wheels and all terrain tyres imho.

Oh and I can't fathom for the life of me how to get the 'follow me home lights' to work .

Hope that helps.

The follow me home lights are set via the Settings menu on uConnect. As far as I can recall the two options are Off and 30 seconds. Tried it once then turned it back to off, more of a gimic than a feature IMO
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

Alanw47 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 18-03-2017   #14
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Berkshire, UK
Posts: 817
Thanks: 51
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Known 500x faults

Skbar, I think the spec must have changed since my Lounge was built (registered Sep 15) - there are no windscreen sensors for auto lights or wipers, so it certainly hasn't got them. The latest cars have DAB radios too, which mine hasn't.
Robotdancer, the manufacturers are not lying about fuel consumption. They all have to declare figures produced by the same, laboratory test, found here: http://www.dft.gov.uk/vca/fcb/the-fu...ing-scheme.asp
Since we don't drive our cars in laboratories on a rolling road, we are unlikely to ever acheive the quoted figures. In particular, the test gives artificially good results for turbocharged cars, since the driving regime is so gentle that the turbo is not really used. The test is poor, which is why alternatives are being looked at.
Sorry to go off topic.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

TrevC is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 19-03-2017   #15
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Yorkshire
Posts: 168
Thanks: 9
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Known 500x faults

Quote Originally Posted by TrevC View Post
Skbar, I think the spec must have changed since my Lounge was built (registered Sep 15) - there are no windscreen sensors for auto lights or wipers, so it certainly hasn't got them. The latest cars have DAB radios too, which mine hasn't.
Robotdancer, the manufacturers are not lying about fuel consumption. They all have to declare figures produced by the same, laboratory test, found here: http://www.dft.gov.uk/vca/fcb/the-fu...ing-scheme.asp
Since we don't drive our cars in laboratories on a rolling road, we are unlikely to ever acheive the quoted figures. In particular, the test gives artificially good results for turbocharged cars, since the driving regime is so gentle that the turbo is not really used. The test is poor, which is why alternatives are being looked at.
Sorry to go off topic.
TrevC I get your point and for clarity I worked for over a decade with the UK import arm of a major German manufacturer; having been to the factories at Ingolstadt, Nekarsulm and in Hungary many times I know how the bench tests work... but in reality there are software maps that have been available for decades now that would give far more accurate real world figures.
Instead manufacturers hide behind the 'oh we follow the industry standard' line... it's nonsense. Having also spent some time at Brackley I can tell you that it's actually very easy to get highly accurate models of performance data on a simulator... fact is no one wants to make the leap and be the first to use that type of data rather than the EU standard data.

I actually expect the US to be the first to start to force a change here under consumer legislation, the class action against VWAG is likely to prompt pressure for data measuring changes, the EU seem a little more reticent.

So no they don't 'lie' technically... but in reality this is a semantic argument, if the manor of measuring is skewed toward delivering the data you want rather than an objective assessment of the true performance of the engine in genuine running conditions then no, your not telling a fib... but the reality is in essence a lie of omission.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

robotdancer is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Reply
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
(G) Help: new 500X Onlyjay82 500X 6 27-11-2016 20:48
500x dawncrombie Newbie Central 3 30-07-2016 10:44
(G) My 500X Suzanne92 500X 2 13-07-2016 19:29
Will the 500X be better? The Beard 500X 29 04-03-2015 02:52
FAULTS PROBLEMS AND MORE FAULTS Nik O FIAT Boo Archives 2 04-05-2007 23:24