Register Login
endrop - for all your online needs
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 16-12-2016   #1
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 746
Thanks: 39
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Question uConnect Update?

Has anybody managed to update their maps on the 6.5" uConnect system? Anyone know how it's done? Fiat simply referred me to the dealer who hasn't got a clue how it's done and never before been asked to update the maps.

They have established that they can't be updated in the same way as the 5" unit (download maps onto USB stick) but even Fiat's Technical Dept don't seem to know how it's done, or even if it can be.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

Alanw47 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 17-12-2016   #2
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 143
Thanks: 7
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: uConnect Update?

Quote Originally Posted by Alanw47 View Post
Has anybody managed to update their maps on the 6.5" uConnect system? Anyone know how it's done? Fiat simply referred me to the dealer who hasn't got a clue how it's done and never before been asked to update the maps.

They have established that they can't be updated in the same way as the 5" unit (download maps onto USB stick) but even Fiat's Technical Dept don't seem to know how it's done, or even if it can be.
I was told it needs to be done via the dealer and there would be a charge.
Switched off at that point
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

NitramA is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 17-12-2016   #3
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 45
Thanks: 3
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: uConnect Update?

I had exactly the same query on my 6.5 Uconnect. Checked with 2 dealerships , one told me it wasn't upgradeable, the other said it was done at the annual service via the dealers computer system. Fiat helpline just said I have the latest maps. I have connected the Uconnect to my mobile phone and shortly after that the system did an update so if this also downloaded new maps I cannot say. There is certainly a lack of concise information about the system. I am not even sure if it is connecting to TomTom or not as I do not see the traffic bar down the right hand side of the screen. No one I have spoken to seems very convincing.

It would be helpful if Fiat published the latest version numbers of the firmware/maps to compare but have not found that anywhere.

If the maps are only upgradeable by the dealer at the annual service it is possible the system could be using old maps for up to a year, say for instance the service is carried out in June and new maps are available in July.

On some forums I have see suggestions that the 6.5 screen is not a TomTom system but cannot prove it either way.

I am thinking of calling the TomTom help line to see if they can help.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

Fiat Ron is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 17-12-2016   #4
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 746
Thanks: 39
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: uConnect Update?

Quote Originally Posted by Fiat Ron View Post
I had exactly the same query on my 6.5 Uconnect. Checked with 2 dealerships , one told me it wasn't upgradeable, the other said it was done at the annual service via the dealers computer system. Fiat helpline just said I have the latest maps. I have connected the Uconnect to my mobile phone and shortly after that the system did an update so if this also downloaded new maps I cannot say. There is certainly a lack of concise information about the system. I am not even sure if it is connecting to TomTom or not as I do not see the traffic bar down the right hand side of the screen. No one I have spoken to seems very convincing.

It would be helpful if Fiat published the latest version numbers of the firmware/maps to compare but have not found that anywhere.

If the maps are only upgradeable by the dealer at the annual service it is possible the system could be using old maps for up to a year, say for instance the service is carried out in June and new maps are available in July.

On some forums I have see suggestions that the 6.5 screen is not a TomTom system but cannot prove it either way.

I am thinking of calling the TomTom help line to see if they can help.
I think I got an admission from the dealer that the maps on the 6.5" system are NOT TomTom and a load of BS about the reason it's made difficult is for security purposes. The fact remains that the 5" (cheaper) system provides FOUR free updated map sets for 5 years (then you have to buy them), plus you can do it yourself with a USB stick. The owners of the top-of-the-range 6.5" system are being taken for mugs and it's about time Fiat sorted it out.

And don't get me started on uConnect Live, been disabled on my car and allegedly can't be re-enabled. uConnect is just a crazy system but too expensive to replace it
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides


Last edited by Alanw47; 17-12-2016 at 10:22.
Alanw47 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 17-12-2016   #5
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Wirral
Posts: 167
Thanks: 11
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: uConnect Update?

Quote Originally Posted by Alanw47 View Post
The fact remains that the 5" (cheaper) system provides FOUR free updated map sets for 5 years (then you have to buy them)

Not correct I am afraid.
You get the guaranteed latest map, as with any tomtom device, however after approximately 90 days this stops and you have to pay for updates.
The head unit says the uconnect service is free for 5 years and it shows when this will expire, but that relates to the steaming data, Deezer, Tunein radio and such.
__________________
2016 500X 1.4 Lounge with extra bits...
Pedrolami is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 17-12-2016   #6
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 746
Thanks: 39
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Unhappy Re: uConnect Update?

Quote Originally Posted by Pedrolami View Post
Not correct I am afraid.
You get the guaranteed latest map, as with any tomtom device, however after approximately 90 days this stops and you have to pay for updates.
The head unit says the uconnect service is free for 5 years and it shows when this will expire, but that relates to the steaming data, Deezer, Tunein radio and such.
Thank you for that clarification. My issue though is that there are no updates for the 6.5" model. I would happily pay a reasonable price once per year but neither the dealership nor Fiat seem to know how it's done. In their quest to make the unit worthless in the event of theft they seem to have secured it so much that nobody knows how to update it. That is crazy
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides


Last edited by Alanw47; 17-12-2016 at 17:49.
Alanw47 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 18-12-2016   #7
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 45
Thanks: 3
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: uConnect Update?

All the above more or less confirms what I believe about the 6.5 Uconnect. Just want to find out if anybody who has downloaded the app to their mobile and and paired the phone to the Uconnect has ever received any TomTom information including the traffic bar down the right hand side of the screen. I cannot see any difference between the regular road maps to those when the phone and app are running and selecting HD Maps. Has anybody else?
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

Fiat Ron is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 18-12-2016   #8
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 746
Thanks: 39
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: uConnect Update?

Quote Originally Posted by Fiat Ron View Post
All the above more or less confirms what I believe about the 6.5 Uconnect. Just want to find out if anybody who has downloaded the app to their mobile and and paired the phone to the Uconnect has ever received any TomTom information including the traffic bar down the right hand side of the screen. I cannot see any difference between the regular road maps to those when the phone and app are running and selecting HD Maps. Has anybody else?
Certainly not me. I don't even get it to connect, just a message that uConnect Live Services are not activated on my vehicle. I'm so glad I didn't specify this unit as an 'upgrade', the car came with it already fitted. I do quite like it, but it just doesn't do everything it should do.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

Alanw47 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 18-12-2016   #9
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 143
Thanks: 7
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: uConnect Update?

Quote Originally Posted by Fiat Ron View Post
All the above more or less confirms what I believe about the 6.5 Uconnect. Just want to find out if anybody who has downloaded the app to their mobile and and paired the phone to the Uconnect has ever received any TomTom information including the traffic bar down the right hand side of the screen. I cannot see any difference between the regular road maps to those when the phone and app are running and selecting HD Maps. Has anybody else?
I dont think you get a traffic bar on the 6.5 Uconnect, any hold ups are shown on the map itself.
You can also tap on the Information icon on the initial Navigation page.
There is also mention of TomTom in several sections within the navigation, for example when opting out of data sharing.
I've also included some photos of the map display to show the above.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0201.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	3.59 MB
ID:	174639   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0200.JPG
Views:	80
Size:	3.72 MB
ID:	174640  

__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

NitramA is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 18-12-2016   #10
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 45
Thanks: 3
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: uConnect Update?

Many thanks to all have replied, the photos are exactly what I get. Being used to a stand alone TomTom Traffic I expected the bar with the info down the side, I realise with the Fiat system a screen change is required. So I have come to the conclusion there is not much advantage in being connected via the phone and using up data.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

Fiat Ron is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 19-12-2016   #11
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 746
Thanks: 39
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: uConnect Update?

It probably won't help most of us here on this forum but there is a website that apparently went live today for updating the maps on non-TomTom uConnect units. It includes SOME units but not the 500X. I can only hope that more will come onstream next year

https://maps.mopar.eu/en/home
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

Alanw47 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 05-12-2017   #12
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 746
Thanks: 39
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: uConnect Update?

Car is currently in workshops for its annual service. MOPAR website informs me that there is a Maps Update available and to contact the workshops to get it done (6.5" version, not a DIY job). I have also read on this forum that there is a uConnect software upgrade available, to version 17. Both of these requests were greeted with blank looks when I dropped the car off. After 2 years or so can the workshops really not know how the maps are updated? It must be possible, others have reported having it done. Fiat workshops work in mysterious ways..........
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

Alanw47 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 05-12-2017   #13
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 331
Thanks: 23
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: uConnect Update?

I don't know exactly what version 17 means, presume it's 5.17.?

When i got mine it was version 10 (Uconnect LIVE 5.10.4), but when my battery went the other week and it went to the garage they updated the software to version 18 (5.18.2).

Well I think it was them, a few days after I got an alert saying it needed a 1.9mb upgrade so I just did it in a few minutes.

Hope it helps.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

cowabunga is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 05-12-2017   #14
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 746
Thanks: 39
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: uConnect Update?

Quote Originally Posted by cowabunga View Post
I don't know exactly what version 17 means, presume it's 5.17.?

When i got mine it was version 10 (Uconnect LIVE 5.10.4), but when my battery went the other week and it went to the garage they updated the software to version 18 (5.18.2).

Well I think it was them, a few days after I got an alert saying it needed a 1.9mb upgrade so I just did it in a few minutes.

Hope it helps.


Thanks for the suggestion.

The software version on the 6.5" unit is displayed like this

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2882.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	420.4 KB
ID:	186400

I came away from the workshops without either software or maps updated as nobody knew how to do it on a 6.5" unit. When I showed them a screenshot referring me to the workshops the silence was astounding.

Just to make me laugh just a little bit more the valeter managed to lock the keyless entry fob inside the vehicle and couldn't unlock it. So you-know-who had to pitch up with the spare key so that they could finish the valet.

My head hurts.
Likes PsFiat liked this post
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

Alanw47 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 05-12-2017   #15
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 331
Thanks: 23
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: uConnect Update?

Looks like a better version than mine, better resolution and more advanced. Good size as well. Mine does a job though (except NAV) and seems fault free. One thing I really do like, although it may sound insignificant is the DAB radio, I like how its either off or on and you dont get that analogue frizzle like non DAB radio's.

Great story about the key fob, you wouldn't think it was possible.
Thanks PsFiat thanked for this post
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

cowabunga is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Reply
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
(T) Uconnect Live postbantania 500X 70 04-05-2017 14:03
(T) UConnect Woes Cei 500X 17 04-11-2016 08:40
(T) Uconnect Live 1.4.5 Pedrolami 500X 0 13-06-2016 12:36
(T) How to update speed cameras on Uconnect Nav 5"? VChris 500X 7 10-05-2016 10:35
(T) Uconnect bluetooth joshuamartin1 500X 3 17-11-2015 19:43