Register Login
FIAT Auto Specialist Team
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2013   #16
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 121
Thanks: 4
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Twin-Air MPG

I'm guessing with the Punto being bigger than the 500 the engine will be less efficient
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

twinairturbo is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 09-11-2013   #17
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Near the M4
Posts: 20,449
Thanks: 724
Trader Rating: 0
varesecrazy has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Twin-Air MPG

Quote Originally Posted by twinairturbo View Post
I get 37.7 MPG out of my Punto TA
how may miles has it done now?,
remarkably TIGHT engines when new

mine was getting 13 when new..!!

Charlie
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

varesecrazy is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 09-11-2013   #18
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 121
Thanks: 4
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Twin-Air MPG

700mi I think, but it's not a daily driver yet so fingers crossed it will improve
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

twinairturbo is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 09-11-2013   #19
Ulpian
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: My flat mostly
Posts: 3,581
Thanks: 133
Trader Rating: 0
Ulpian has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Twin-Air MPG

Driving around town, with the A/C on most of the time (it mists quickly) I am now getting between 36 and 45 from the Doblo. Okay, I'm not a slow coach, but I stick to the limits unless I am on unrestricted roads, when I sometimes go over by accident

I think this is rubbish mileage, even for a big brick of a car, and it is no better than my old car.

I recently tested the Suzuki C Cross 1.6 120 (Fiat) Diesel, and i drove like I stole it around town, and for a few miles on a country road, and for a short distance at 70. I got 59mpg!

And it was rising as I got back to the dealer...

Okay. A lighter car with good aerodynamics and a more powerful engine with a variable rate turbo. But it was a quick car and handled brilliantly, like most Suzukis. And the A/C was on too. Reviews state that it easily capable of 60++ at motorway speeds.

So.... Once more I conclude that Fiat under engines it's cars. I've always said it and nothing has happened to change my mind. I think they need to work hard on the TA too.

If they don't improve things soon my next car won't be a Fiat, sadly.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

Ulpian is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 09-11-2013   #20
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 121
Thanks: 4
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Twin-Air MPG

Quote Originally Posted by Ulpian View Post
Driving around town, with the A/C on most of the time (it mists quickly) I am now getting between 36 and 45 from the Doblo. Okay, I'm not a slow coach, but I stick to the limits unless I am on unrestricted roads, when I sometimes go over by accident

I think this is rubbish mileage, even for a big brick of a car, and it is no better than my old car.

I recently tested the Suzuki C Cross 1.6 120 (Fiat) Diesel, and i drove like I stole it around town, and for a few miles on a country road, and for a short distance at 70. I got 59mpg!

And it was rising as I got back to the dealer...

Okay. A lighter car with good aerodynamics and a more powerful engine with a variable rate turbo. But it was a quick car and handled brilliantly, like most Suzukis. And the A/C was on too. Reviews state that it easily capable of 60++ at motorway speeds.

So.... Once more I conclude that Fiat under engines it's cars. I've always said it and nothing has happened to change my mind. I think they need to work hard on the TA too.

If they don't improve things soon my next car won't be a Fiat, sadly.
I can pretty much confirm my next car will not be Fiat
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

twinairturbo is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 09-11-2013   #21
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Near the M4
Posts: 20,449
Thanks: 724
Trader Rating: 0
varesecrazy has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Twin-Air MPG

Quote Originally Posted by twinairturbo View Post
I can pretty much confirm my next car will not be Fiat
after 700 miles of ownership??,
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

varesecrazy is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 09-11-2013   #22
Ulpian
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: My flat mostly
Posts: 3,581
Thanks: 133
Trader Rating: 0
Ulpian has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Twin-Air MPG

There is so much to like about Fiats, but there is no doubt that their mileage is no longer competitive, no matter how the statistics are jiggled for the figures. In the real world they simply aren't competitive.

My hope is that they are working on this now and the results will show very soon. The TA is great fun, but not frugal, and the small 1.3 Diesel is pretty hopeless too.

I hope for improvements next year, but economy matters a lot, and they had better wake up soon. I live in hope.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

Ulpian is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 09-11-2013   #23
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 121
Thanks: 4
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Twin-Air MPG

Quote Originally Posted by varesecrazy View Post
after 700 miles of ownership??,
As my local, friendly and helpful fiat dealer terminated with fiat I am forced to do a 50mi round trip to a un-local, un-friendly, un-helpful and rude fiat dealer for warranty work, too many faults at so few miles and then putting up with that and the reward is... A fiat. The only grace is my opinion of the product and insurance. Maybe an Abarth as a next car but not standard fiat I'm afraid
Likes varesecrazy liked this post
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

twinairturbo is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 09-11-2013   #24
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Near the M4
Posts: 20,449
Thanks: 724
Trader Rating: 0
varesecrazy has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Twin-Air MPG

Quote Originally Posted by twinairturbo View Post
As my local, friendly and helpful fiat dealer terminated with fiat I am forced to do a 50mi round trip to a un-local, un-friendly, un-helpful and rude fiat dealer for warranty work, too many faults at so few miles and then putting up with that and the reward is... A fiat. The only grace is my opinion of the product and insurance. Maybe an Abarth as a next car but not standard fiat I'm afraid
FIAT UK 's policy regarding ditching good independent garages, and giving it to huge multi-frachise places isn't doing the Brands any good at all,
Charlie
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

varesecrazy is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 11-11-2013   #25
Just call me Panda!
 
Pandabloke's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Deal, Kent
Posts: 650
Thanks: 27
Trader Rating: 0
Pandabloke has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Twin-Air MPG

Well. the last tank, mixed local and town work, driving as economically as possible - computer said 46mpg, brim to brim worked out at 43........

Car covered in excess of 3000 miles now. This time I'm gonna drive it normally and see what it shows at the end.

Interesting experiment, this one. I'll keep you informed.
__________________
Wanted: Easy woman for useless 52 year old bloke. Apply without....
Tallulah, a 2016 Tipo Easy Plus, 1.3 Multijet Diesel 95 BHP in Volcano Black, plus a small cuddly panda called Arnold.
Pandabloke is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 12-11-2013   #26
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Northampton
Posts: 238
Thanks: 13
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Twin-Air MPG

Hi all
Just as a comparison we have a 2009 fiat qubo 1.3 multijet, we only get about 45mpg around town and 50mpg on a run, so i think the twinair is pretty good, i also have a 2.0l petrol ulysse on a 2004 plate with 127600 miles on the clock and only manage about 22mpg around town loaded with kit and tools
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

maisie the ugly bug is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 13-11-2013   #27
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 656
Thanks: 27
Trader Rating: 0
Jazzist has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Twin-Air MPG

Got 48mpg actual from my last tank and it is still improving. Very short journeys hurt that too; indicated was 10%+ higher when I did 2 x 75 mile trips instead of my regular usage which is only 5 miles (hence opting for petrol this time). Guess it will settle at around 52 mpg with a few more thousand miles up. You do have to keep the revs down on acceleration and using the lack of engine braking to ease off when approaching junctions much earlier than you would with your non TA doesn't hurt either.

It isn't that bad.. Eg..New Qashqai 115PS petrol gets 50 mpg claimed, new Yeti 105PS 46 mpg claimed.

As for 60+ from a 1.6 diesel Suzuki, no doubt the 500l would acheive this too or get within ~5%, I regularly acheived 60+ mpg actual from my Bravo which had the previous generation 1.6 multijet (ACTUALLY GOT CLAIMED MPG :-)). The Suzuki petrol is 51.3 mpg claimed...

The other makes I note above are all higher tax (CO2) as well I think.
__________________


Last edited by Jazzist; 13-11-2013 at 17:55.
Jazzist is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 13-11-2013   #28
Just call me Panda!
 
Pandabloke's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Deal, Kent
Posts: 650
Thanks: 27
Trader Rating: 0
Pandabloke has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Twin-Air MPG

Quote Originally Posted by 500L View Post
Got 48mpg actual from my last tank and it is still improving. Very short journeys hurt that too; indicated was 10%+ higher when I did 2 x 75 mile trips instead of my regular usage which is only 5 miles (hence opting for petrol this time). Guess it will settle at around 52 mpg with a few more thousand miles up. You do have to keep the revs down on acceleration and using the lack of engine braking to ease off when approaching junctions much earlier than you would with your non TA doesn't hurt either.

It isn't that bad.. Eg..New Qashqai 115PS petrol gets 50 mpg claimed, new Yeti 105PS 46 mpg claimed.

As for 60+ from a 1.6 diesel Suzuki, no doubt the 500l would acheive this too or get within ~5%, I regularly acheived 60+ mpg actual from my Bravo which had the previous generation 1.6 multijet (ACTUALLY GOT CLAIMED MPG :-)). The Suzuki petrol is 51.3 mpg claimed...

The other makes I note above are all higher tax (CO2) as well I think.

Hi there!

It's not the actual mpg figure that I find bad in comparison to others, it's the huge difference between the quoted mpg figures and what actually seems achievable. But I do recognise I've only done 3000 miles and it has constantly improved. But as I say, the 500 TA's seem to be in a worse position than us. Some of them are returning 37 mpg on average, it seems, if driven even remotely enthusiastically! That's apalling by any standards.

Saying all this, however, I have decided to drive normally over this tankful and see what I achieve. And a quick glance at the actual mpg feature is showing 43, only 3 less than when I was driving like a loser..... Curious!
__________________
Wanted: Easy woman for useless 52 year old bloke. Apply without....
Tallulah, a 2016 Tipo Easy Plus, 1.3 Multijet Diesel 95 BHP in Volcano Black, plus a small cuddly panda called Arnold.
Pandabloke is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 13-11-2013   #29
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 656
Thanks: 27
Trader Rating: 0
Jazzist has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Twin-Air MPG

I'm hoping it won't end up too far off claimed. If it picks up by another 10% I'll be getting 52 mpg on my short trips and 57 on longer journeys, 57 would be v close to claimed for a combined trip. Guess I'll be changing it after 4 years (might be another 500L though guess there will be another handful of choices then) and it'll have low mileage so won't have spent too much on fuel so not mega important to me. These claimed figures are annoying though I agree…
Interesting that you've found not too much deficit when driving a bit more enthusiastically.

Crazy that the L is turning out to be more economic than the 500 for some!

My mileage is close to yours so will be interesting to compare notes.. 3200 up IIRC.
__________________


Last edited by Jazzist; 13-11-2013 at 18:30.
Jazzist is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 13-11-2013   #30
Ulpian
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: My flat mostly
Posts: 3,581
Thanks: 133
Trader Rating: 0
Ulpian has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Twin-Air MPG

It's impossible to know what different people mean by normal driving, but not accelerating 'normally', by which I mean accelerating as quickly as legally possible, is a hard thing for some of us to do.

The new Suzuki that I drove was a quick whitted and very immediate and responsive car. We were both very impressed. The petrol version I don't have my own figures for, but one day I'll give it a go. All the reviewers have been very impressed indeed by the mileage, and all state that the actual mpg is very close to the claimed figures.

Getting 67.5 mpg on a long motorway run, in a new car, is a dream for me. Obviously the Suzy, which achieved this, is light and relatively aerodynamic, but it is also spacious and, importantly for me, FUN!

I'll give the petrol a go one day, but I don't intend to keep my stopgap Doblo for more than another year or so if I can help it and the Suzi was as much fun as the Panda TA I drove, and more economical. A bit dearer, but .....

Also, the new Cashcow is a bit big, two inches longer and one wider. Too much I think. Probably too expensive too. But it looks to be very economical and the 1.5 Diesel gives excellent mileage and zero tax. The new Yetis are not notably economical.

And certainly, there are lots of new cars on the way. Fuel consumption + driving fun and a comfortable driving position and ease of access are all up at the top for me. I love the 500L, but I'm not totally in love. Still on the list though.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides


Last edited by Ulpian; 13-11-2013 at 19:57.
Ulpian is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Reply
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
(G) Panda 4x4 twin-air mpg Bix67 Panda (2012+) 96 12-08-2014 20:44
(G) Twin Air Lounge MPG now 60 jbanfie Panda (2012+) 1 24-07-2013 18:51
(T) 500 Twin Air Real life mpg? beany_bot 500 59 19-07-2013 02:38
Punto 2012+ Twin Air shocking mpg Matt84 Newbie Central 33 25-02-2013 16:24
(G) Twin air with no air con. Robmckenzieuk 500 22 27-02-2012 08:46