Register Login
Shop4Parts - UK's largest online superstore for FIAT and Alfa Romeo parts
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 14-03-2013   #16
769cc Mayhem!
 
Didge3's Avatar
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Quite south.
Posts: 3,047
Thanks: 51
Trader Rating: 0
Didge3 has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: The Fatherhood

Quote Originally Posted by AndyRKett View Post
the the petrol fiat barely has performance even the 1.6 diesel fiat doesn't have the figures of the mini
Let me first say this, I don't dislike the Mini or the 500L, although personally I wouldn't buy either.

Why do you keep comparing the performance specs of the two, the 500L is clearly marketed as a family car, personally I have never done '0-60' flat out in my car because A) Fuel economy would be awful and B) Traffic doesn't allow for it, besides there as 2 seconds between the cars so hardly worth pointing out, neither are really performance orientated, also I don't think pointing out that the Mini 1.6D has 112hp over the 500L's 105... its not really much of a comparison.

A few other points, of course the Diesel Mini is going to have better MPG than the 500L petrol, and obviously its going to have more Torque.

Personally I don't think comparing these two cars is worth it, they are both family cars based of 'smaller versions' but trying to directly compare an ordinary diesel engine and a 2 cylinder 900cc engine is a bit silly since they are entirely different engines in basically every way.

Price wise, its hard to compare the two with 'max' spec because the specs vary etc. Comparing the base models makes more sense to me. I also personally think Fiat generally make cheap cars, with a Mini I think you are paying a bit for the brand itself.

Just my two pence, I don't dislike either car.
Thanks Jazzist thanked for this post
Likes Ulpian, Jazzist liked this post
__________________
Didge3 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 14-03-2013   #17
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Worksop
Posts: 2,593
Thanks: 101
Trader Rating: 0
nottsfiat07 has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: The Fatherhood

On the supposed mini extra quality... I had a less than three year old mini for a while, having been convinced of the upscale of quality from my original 500. The mini rattled like a box of spanners from doors and dashboard, plus the air con never worked despite being back to the dealer for both things. Nothing ever went wrong in my similar age 500. Plus the leather on the seats was already stretching and rippling. Just saying.
Thanks Jazzist thanked for this post
Likes Ulpian, Jazzist liked this post
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

nottsfiat07 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 14-03-2013   #18
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Norfolk UK
Posts: 9,656
Thanks: 433
Blog Entries: 8
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: The Fatherhood

Quote Originally Posted by Didge3 View Post

Personally I don't think comparing these two cars is worth it, they are both family cars based of 'smaller versions' but trying to directly compare an ordinary diesel engine and a 2 cylinder 900cc engine is a bit silly since they are entirely different engines in basically every way.
A fair point Didge I did point out that it was silly to compare the diesel to a petrol I initially compared the petrol mini to the 500L but for some reason @matthew decided to use the diesel for comparison which as you say is silly as then fuel economy power torque etc all best the fiat, the reason to compare the two cars is that because of the looks of the fiat its being constantly compared to the fiat 500L it also falls into the same camp for size market and engines I'm sure you can buy a Chinese MG with all the bells and whistles of both cars for two thirds the cost but he difference in price does reflect the difference in quality

Personally I don't think one is any better than the other I think each has its own benefits, personally my life style budget and preference is on the side of the Mini countryman all4 Cooper D, bright colour dash boards and printed fabric seats is not me. I like full leather heated seats climate control and minimalist interiors I love the mini connect which mimics the iPod and allows you access news feeds which it can read aloud etc etc, I also love the ability to drive to the mini dealership and have a new roof graphic put on or different colour wing mirror caps etc, I don't have kids so the marketing of the 500L puts me off, the mini brand is seen as more aimed at a younger generation with disposable income the 500L is currently rumoured to appeal to families on a budget and older people (think Nissan cube) I don't like its blocky basic exterior but I like the countryman's SUV style appearance.

I looked at fiats citroens, alfas audis and vws before we bought our cooper hatchback and I suspect I will look at a countryman towards the end of the year. But at least I am speaking with some experience of all the current offerings and specs
Likes Didge3 liked this post
Dislikes Jazzist disliked this post
__________________
Maker and voice behind the YouTube channel PuntoHowTo 10k subscribers canít be wrong

And now the owner of a shiny new PuntoHowTo Drivetribe
AndyRKett is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 14-03-2013   #19
Forum Moderator
 
T14086's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Preston
Posts: 29,985
Thanks: 1063
Trader Rating: 0
T14086 has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: The Fatherhood

Quote Originally Posted by Ulpian View Post
Andy, you seem concerened with what the neighbours think. This mentality will have you buying what the neighbours aprove of and not necessarily what you might like.
I got 2 doblos.....that means I don't give a **** what the neighbours think

PTC is on diesels engines, it's provides instant heat from the heater vents for fast warm up of the cabin. It's electric unlike those stinky old webasto things.
Thanks Jazzist thanked for this post
Likes Ulpian, Jazzist liked this post
__________________
http://www.chryslerforum.co.uk//
T14086 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 14-03-2013   #20
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 656
Thanks: 27
Trader Rating: 0
Jazzist has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Re: The Fatherhood

Quote Originally Posted by T14086 View Post
I got 2 doblos.....that means I don't give a **** what the neighbours think

PTC is on diesels engines, it's provides instant heat from the heater vents for fast warm up of the cabin. It's electric unlike those stinky old webasto things.
The PTC is also on the Twinair for 500L mate :thumbup:

Saw a very shiny looking Doblo earlier in a kinda champagne metallic, looked fantastic, couple of old gimmers up front mind
__________________

Jazzist is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 14-03-2013   #21
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Norfolk UK
Posts: 9,656
Thanks: 433
Blog Entries: 8
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: The Fatherhood

Quote Originally Posted by T14086 View Post
I got 2 doblos.....that means I don't give a **** what the neighbours think
I would have a doblo its a good utilitarian vehicle you can throw shed loads of junk in the back fill it up with people load up the roof trailer etc etc its not trying to be anything its not, with glossy adverts with yummy mummies designer handbags and such

I love my Punto for many of the same reasons its not flashy trying to be anything special, costs nothing to run gets me from A to B with minimal hassle and fuss while the little diesel engine plods on.

I don't get the appeal of the 500L its not as useful or capacious at the multipla was, doesn't have the engine options of the Stilo which was a straight forward estate not trying to be a 'life style' car like the 500 is and the 500L wants to be. people buy a mini for the same reason they buy designer clothes, iPods and le creuset, and they are willing to pay more for that marquee

in comparison the Doblo is actually £2k less and the the qubo £4k and the punto is over £5k less than the 500L as is the little 500

If i walked into a fiat dealer to buy a new family car would I buy a 500L at £15k when a punto is £10k or a bravo is £13k ?
Likes Ulpian, Most Easterly Pandas liked this post
Dislikes Jazzist disliked this post
__________________
Maker and voice behind the YouTube channel PuntoHowTo 10k subscribers canít be wrong

And now the owner of a shiny new PuntoHowTo Drivetribe
AndyRKett is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 14-03-2013   #22
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Norfolk UK
Posts: 9,656
Thanks: 433
Blog Entries: 8
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: The Fatherhood

so for the 300th time today
Quote Originally Posted by mathew View Post
mathew disliked this post
So we can assume you know where the dislike button is but have yet to offer any useful opinion or comparison rather than worshiping this car like some sort of deity.

you ordered one you must have a reason to have chosen it over anything else, so what else did you drive, examine, explore before you settled upon the 500L rather than quoting facts and figures have an opinion of your own and not something fed to you by some marketing exec

explain to me what i'm clearly not understanding
Dislikes Jazzist disliked this post
__________________
Maker and voice behind the YouTube channel PuntoHowTo 10k subscribers canít be wrong

And now the owner of a shiny new PuntoHowTo Drivetribe
AndyRKett is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 15-03-2013   #23
Speed Reader of the Year!
 
Most Easterly Pandas's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 39,314
Thanks: 1231
Trader Rating: 2
Most Easterly Pandas has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: The Fatherhood

Quote Originally Posted by AndyRKett View Post
explain to me what i'm clearly not understanding
I would, but suspect it might get disliked by mathew and I'd get a ban. Nuff said
Thanks Jazzist thanked for this post
Likes Jazzist liked this post
__________________
Most Easterly Panda's - Panda'ing in East Anglia
Stockest of mk2 Panda Parts, PM for any parts requests
1993 Classic Panda Selecta, 1989 Panda 750L,
2015 Kia Soul EV, 2009 Panda Eleganza & 2005 Panda Climbing 4x4 (LPG)
Most Easterly Pandas is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 15-03-2013   #24
Moderator
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Eckington, Sheffield
Posts: 6,031
Thanks: 135
Trader Rating: 0
dombooth is part of the official FF Events Team :)
dombooth has donated!
dombooth is an honorary friend of the forum :)
DiffSpotter 3 - Rooms Champion
United Kingdom 
The Fatherhood

Chill pills needed here.

Dom
Thanks Jazzist thanked for this post
Likes Jazzist liked this post
__________________
Current Car: FIAT Bravo 150T Sport
And the mighty Fiat 126!
dombooth is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 15-03-2013   #25
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 656
Thanks: 27
Trader Rating: 0
Jazzist has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: The Fatherhood

The dancing at your wedding line is hilarious
__________________

Jazzist is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 17-03-2013   #26
Ulpian
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: My flat mostly
Posts: 3,581
Thanks: 133
Trader Rating: 0
Ulpian has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: The Fatherhood

Quote Quote:
I would have a doblo its a good utilitarian vehicle you can throw shed loads of junk in the back fill it up with people load up the roof trailer etc etc its not trying to be anything its not, with glossy adverts with yummy mummies designer handbags and such
I'm not fond of being told what the designated market for a car is either.

I wish they would just point out the merits of the car and let punters decide whether they like/want the car, or not.

In fact being told incessantly that the 500L is for families rather puts me off and I expect I'm not alone.

I wonder how long it will be before the 500L trails around the set of Coronation Street ?
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

Ulpian is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Reply
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The joys of fatherhood in a Multipla Kkraftwerk Spotted / Was It You? 9 17-04-2009 17:42