Register Login
Shop4Parts - UK's largest online superstore for FIAT and Alfa Romeo parts
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #106
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 615
Thanks: 35
Trader Rating: 0
Netherlands 
Re: Is The 105 TA Engine Still Available?

Quote Originally Posted by 306maxi View Post
If I was buying that class of car now, I’d probably grab an Up! GTI.
Utterly disgusting!
- Only available in a few awful colours
- Cheap halogen headlights (no xenon or full led)
- Ugly phone holder on the dahsboard
- Normal shopping crate doesn't fit in the trunk
Likes Ralf S. liked this post
__________________
If I write something stupid, it's probably because English isn't my native language!
AGH1965 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #107
STOP! Hammer time!
 
306maxi's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: The Welsh Riviera
Posts: 23,673
Thanks: 845
Trader Rating: 0
306maxi has donated!
United Kingdom 
Quote Originally Posted by AGH1965 View Post
Utterly disgusting!
- Only available in a few awful colours
- Cheap halogen headlights (no xenon or full led)
- Ugly phone holder on the dahsboard
- Normal shopping crate doesn't fit in the trunk
-only available on traditional VW GTI colours
-halogen headlights are just fine
-phone holder is ugly to be fair
-in the UK we donít use shopping crates and thereís only two of us so the boot would be just fine
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

306maxi is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #108
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: The land that time forgot
Posts: 2,294
Thanks: 165
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Is The 105 TA Engine Still Available?

Quote Originally Posted by 306maxi View Post
Exactly. Itís pretty obvious, yet some people want to see this as some sort of EU funded anti-Fiat conspiracy.
"Some people"?

You got something to say Maxi?


Ralf S.
__________________
No bullets for chaingun
Ralf S. is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #109
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: The land that time forgot
Posts: 2,294
Thanks: 165
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Is The 105 TA Engine Still Available?

Quote Originally Posted by Mercky View Post
I know nothing about NCAP but surely the score is relative to the current safety standards available, so what was deemed safe 10 years ago is now no longer that safe as things have moved on considerably and a 4* then could well be a 1* today relatively. A car that was apparently safe in 1970 by 1970 standards is certainly not considered safe today
Well... that's the precisely the crux of the argument.

NCAP is supposed to be a rating system... so every car ought to have a "safety rating" where zero would be the equivalent of a baked bean tin with an engine in it and where there is no theoretical top limit.

If Panda/500/anything was awarded 5 stars, then 5 stars can't anytime ever become zero stars... *because* (this is the tricky bit that appears difficult to grasp...) zero is the metaphotical baked bean tin with an engine in it.

> My old Stilo (a 2001 design) scored 3 stars.
> Panda is a 4 star car... so it's "safer" (under NCAP's own criteria, agree with them or not) than a Stilo. So far so good.
> Now in 2019... Panda is suddenly "zero" stars. So it's less "safe" than my Stilo, according to NCAP (unless I know I have to pull out the small-print and work out which spec' of tests were carried out... and work out what zero stars in one test means in the other test. Frankly that's what NCAP is supposed to be doing.

We all knoe, because we're interested, that Stilo is an "old-style" 3-stars and Panda is "new-style" zero stars... but as has been mentioned, VW Up and the Kia Muesli Plus and any number of other cars which we don't know about are still carrying their old-style rating.

So.... the rating should be a rating that the car carries forever. Panda scored 4, Stilo scored 3.. easy to understand and lasts forever.

Secondly, is the other problem with NCAP. A car might be able to survive being run over by a 40-ton articulated lorry carrying a nuclear warhead, but the new criteria marks a car down if it doesn't have gizmo's fitted. So, built like a brick ***t-house = 5 stars... not fitted with an automatic dusk sensor or something; = minus 2 stars...

As I've written above somewhere.. if you understand how it works you can work out whether you're being ripped off. If you can understand how NCAP calculates it's scores, then you can work out how relevant it all is. At the moment it seems confused and even a bit egregious... but that's only my opinion. It's always best to form your own.


Ralf S.
Thanks p6baseunit, JTD_Liam, Officina red thanked for this post
Likes p6baseunit, Eklipze3k, alexGS liked this post
__________________
No bullets for chaingun
Ralf S. is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #110
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Papamoa Beach
Posts: 5,183
Thanks: 314
Trader Rating: 1
alexGS has donated!
New Zealand 
Re: Is The 105 TA Engine Still Available?

Interestingly the EuroNCAP re-rating hits us directly in the pocket here in NZ, where vehicle relicensing costs (“road tax”) are linked to the safety rating.

We had this first with our 2008 500 going from five to three stars two years ago - $83 to $140 - I queried why the rating for new models was applied retrospectively and at first they thought it was a mistake, then confirmed in writing that it was “standard policy to use the most up-to-date information available”. This only affects re-tested models, of course. If you drive a FIAT Stilo, then it’s still in the safest category, as it was originally five stars and wasn’t re-tested.

Now the same thing has happened with our 2015 Giulietta - from five to three stars as well.

If you drive a newish Panda or Punto in NZ then it would be even worse, now zero stars so a five-fold increase in annual costs. You probably can’t even import one as it won’t meet the safety requirements for used imports. But you’ll be fine with an old Grande Punto as it’s a different model (!) and still five stars.

Our new Labour government has decided to abolish this system as it is “unfair to have owners of expensive new cars paying less tax than owners of older cars’”. Is that true when you could buy five of those safer Stilos for the price of one Giulietta?

Clearly our system was broken by EuroNCAP inconsistent ratings, and our government didn’t know how to fix it...

Now perhaps you’ll see why I’m more on the side of Ralph S and less on the side of Maxi. I would have preferred six or seven stars going to new vehicles (IF the improvements are quantifiable; when a motorcyclist slams into the back of your Golf 7 because it braked sharply after someone in a parked car opened a door, I’m not sure they are, but that’s a different topic anyway. And this has nothing to do with the TwinAir 105.)

-Alex
Likes varesecrazy, Eklipze3k liked this post
__________________
'15 Giulietta 1.4MA, Ď14 Abarth 500C Esseesse, '08 500 Lounge 1.4 Dualogic, '08 G Spyder, '71 850 Coupe in bits...

Last edited by alexGS; 2 Weeks Ago at 13:50.
alexGS is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #111
STOP! Hammer time!
 
306maxi's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: The Welsh Riviera
Posts: 23,673
Thanks: 845
Trader Rating: 0
306maxi has donated!
United Kingdom 
Quote Originally Posted by Ralf S. View Post
Well... that's the precisely the crux of the argument.

NCAP is supposed to be a rating system... so every car ought to have a "safety rating" where zero would be the equivalent of a baked bean tin with an engine in it and where there is no theoretical top limit.

If Panda/500/anything was awarded 5 stars, then 5 stars can't anytime ever become zero stars... *because* (this is the tricky bit that appears difficult to grasp...) zero is the metaphotical baked bean tin with an engine in it.

> My old Stilo (a 2001 design) scored 3 stars.
> Panda is a 4 star car... so it's "safer" (under NCAP's own criteria, agree with them or not) than a Stilo. So far so good.
> Now in 2019... Panda is suddenly "zero" stars. So it's less "safe" than my Stilo, according to NCAP (unless I know I have to pull out the small-print and work out which spec' of tests were carried out... and work out what zero stars in one test means in the other test. Frankly that's what NCAP is supposed to be doing.

We all knoe, because we're interested, that Stilo is an "old-style" 3-stars and Panda is "new-style" zero stars... but as has been mentioned, VW Up and the Kia Muesli Plus and any number of other cars which we don't know about are still carrying their old-style rating.

So.... the rating should be a rating that the car carries forever. Panda scored 4, Stilo scored 3.. easy to understand and lasts forever.

Secondly, is the other problem with NCAP. A car might be able to survive being run over by a 40-ton articulated lorry carrying a nuclear warhead, but the new criteria marks a car down if it doesn't have gizmo's fitted. So, built like a brick ***t-house = 5 stars... not fitted with an automatic dusk sensor or something; = minus 2 stars...

As I've written above somewhere.. if you understand how it works you can work out whether you're being ripped off. If you can understand how NCAP calculates it's scores, then you can work out how relevant it all is. At the moment it seems confused and even a bit egregious... but that's only my opinion. It's always best to form your own.


Ralf S.
So much text, so little understanding.

If you actually look into Euro NCAP, youíll find that 0 stars is the rating given to a car that meets the very minimum standard at the time of testing. Standards move on and what was a 3 star car is now a 0 star car. Simple. 0 stars doesnít mean itís a death trap.

This is somewhat akin to me walking into a Dutch pancake house and ordering pancakes and expecting Belgian waffles. Itís not the pancake houses fault that Iím a thick **** and donít know what Iím doing.

Itís a pity that Euro NCAP donít give you a guide to interpreting the star ratings. Oh wait! They do! https://www.euroncap.com/en/about-eu...ead-the-stars/ It clearly states that the newest rating is the most relevant one. Quite frankly i someone thinks a Stilo is safer than a modern car because theyíre too ignorant or stupid to do some research then their death will be no great tragedy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	925E3D61-752A-4303-8F36-8101FF1D7CE2.jpeg
Views:	3
Size:	655.1 KB
ID:	196467  
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

306maxi is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #112
STOP! Hammer time!
 
306maxi's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: The Welsh Riviera
Posts: 23,673
Thanks: 845
Trader Rating: 0
306maxi has donated!
United Kingdom 
Quote Originally Posted by alexGS View Post
Interestingly the EuroNCAP re-rating hits us directly in the pocket here in NZ, where vehicle relicensing costs (ďroad taxĒ) are linked to the safety rating.

We had this first with our 2008 500 going from five to three stars two years ago - $83 to $140 - I queried why the rating for new models was applied retrospectively and at first they thought it was a mistake, then confirmed in writing that it was ďstandard policy to use the most up-to-date information availableĒ. This only affects re-tested models, of course. If you drive a FIAT Stilo, then itís still in the safest category, as it was originally five stars and wasnít re-tested.

Now the same thing has happened with our 2015 Giulietta - from five to three stars as well.

If you drive a newish Panda or Punto in NZ then it would be even worse, now zero stars so a five-fold increase in annual costs. You probably canít even import one as it wonít meet the safety requirements for used imports. But youíll be fine with an old Grande Punto as itís a different model (!) and still five stars.

Our new Labour government has decided to abolish this system as it is ďunfair to have owners of expensive new cars paying less tax than owners of older carsíĒ. Is that true when you could buy five of those safer Stilos for the price of one Giulietta?

Clearly our system was broken by EuroNCAP inconsistent ratings, and our government didnít know how to fix it...

Now perhaps youíll see why Iím more on the side of Ralph S and less on the side of Maxi. I would have preferred six or seven stars going to new vehicles (IF the improvements are quantifiable; when a motorcyclist slams into the back of your Golf 7 because it braked sharply after someone in a parked car opened a door, Iím not sure they are, but thatís a different topic anyway. And this has nothing to do with the TwinAir 105.)

-Alex
In all honesty it sounds like a really poor system based on a minsunderstanding of Euro NCAP. If the motorcyclist kills themselves because they were tailgating the golf then surely this is a good thing? Removing faulty genetic material from the gene pool is never a bad thing?
Dislikes mikeoc disliked this post
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

306maxi is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #113
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: The land that time forgot
Posts: 2,294
Thanks: 165
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Is The 105 TA Engine Still Available?

Quote Originally Posted by 306maxi View Post
So much text, so little understanding.

If you actually look into Euro NCAP, youíll find that 0 stars is the rating given to a car that meets the very minimum standard at the time of testing. Standards move on and what was a 3 star car is now a 0 star car. Simple. 0 stars doesnít mean itís a death trap.

This is somewhat akin to me walking into a Dutch pancake house and ordering pancakes and expecting Belgian waffles. Itís not the pancake houses fault that Iím a thick **** and donít know what Iím doing.

Itís a pity that Euro NCAP donít give you a guide to interpreting the star ratings. Oh wait! They do! https://www.euroncap.com/en/about-eu...ead-the-stars/ It clearly states that the newest rating is the most relevant one. Quite frankly i someone thinks a Stilo is safer than a modern car because theyíre too ignorant or stupid to do some research then their death will be no great tragedy.

You seem rather bitter Max. I think my arguments have been quite polite and logical... I'm getting the impression that you happen to disagree with them which is fine... but you continually resort to sarcasm which I presume you think is the lowest form of wit (it isn't) and name-calling.

Whatever bad thing happened to you in your life, I'm sorry... but this is a car forum and it's for discussion and for different ideas. Maybe you're in the wrong place if you can't accept that there's sometimes a different viewpoint.

"...their death will be no great tragedy..." Really?

You need some joy in your life. I hope you find it.


Ralf S.
__________________
No bullets for chaingun
Ralf S. is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #114
STOP! Hammer time!
 
306maxi's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: The Welsh Riviera
Posts: 23,673
Thanks: 845
Trader Rating: 0
306maxi has donated!
United Kingdom 
Quote Originally Posted by Ralf S. View Post
You seem rather bitter Max. I think my arguments have been quite polite and logical... I'm getting the impression that you happen to disagree with them which is fine... but you continually resort to sarcasm which I presume you think is the lowest form of wit (it isn't) and name-calling.

Whatever bad thing happened to you in your life, I'm sorry... but this is a car forum and it's for discussion and for different ideas. Maybe you're in the wrong place if you can't accept that there's sometimes a different viewpoint.

"...their death will be no great tragedy..." Really?

You need some joy in your life. I hope you find it.


Ralf S.
Iím not bitter, I just took the time to actually do some research, perhaps give it a go?
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

306maxi is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #115
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 4,021
Thanks: 40
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Is The 105 TA Engine Still Available?

Quote Originally Posted by 306maxi View Post
You wouldnít develop both cars at the same time because that then means you need twice the amount of engineering staff for the time of the project and then when both cars are delivered then you need to make them all redundant until you start working on the facelift versions of both cars. Plus rather than risking just the sales from one car, youíre risking the sales from both cars if thereís a delay.

Not going to give away timelines on a public forum, but we delivered a new car last year, a new slightly different body variant is coming in the next few months and then after a decent period releasing another body variant.

The beauty of this is that you can overlap the old variants with new variants with less risk if thereís a delay in one or all of the projects. You can use lessons learnt on the first project on the subsequent projects as well because thereís still time to make changes to the cars coming later on.

Agree regarding the Punto, it was a real looker when it came out and they shouldnít have left the Punto to die.
Fair enough, that does make sense.

And IMO, the Punto is still a looker, which no other manufacturer has managed to equal. (I believe that a good looking car will always be a looker, regardless of age, and vice versa.) I would almost be prepared to bet that it would've sold even better with a more "desirable" badge on its bonnet...
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

puntofan01 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #116
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 128
Thanks: 10
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Is The 105 TA Engine Still Available?

Fiat can't win. They design a very Italian / striking looking car and people criticise it for either being over-styled / odd looking or slate the quality. (Pre-facelift Multiplayers, for example)

When they up the quality and play safe (thinking Stilo) - they get branded as boring and staid.

The Punto was a great looking car through to the end (even if sometimes a facelift ruined the original design!) - but was always slated for lagging behind on quality and driving experience (having driven a Punto, a last generation Fiesta and a current Corsa, I disagree).

So it's no surprise that Fiat are sticking with the winning formula of the 500 range. Even BMW have done that with the MINI range. Although they have properly updated it over the years.

The Tipo is a smart looking thing, but small range of engines and trim coupled with list prices which don't reflect real selling prices doesn't help.
Likes puntofan01, varesecrazy liked this post
__________________
Alfa 75 TSpark / Fiat Seicento Sporting / Toyota Alphard Campervan / Porsche Boxster S / BMW 520d Lux / BMW R1100S / Ducati 750SS
Schumi2001 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #117
Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Dorset
Posts: 8,266
Thanks: 869
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Is The 105 TA Engine Still Available?

Quote Originally Posted by 306maxi View Post
Quite frankly i someone thinks a Stilo is safer than a modern car because they’re too ignorant or stupid to do some research then their death will be no great tragedy.
Quote Originally Posted by 306maxi View Post
If the motorcyclist kills themselves because they were tailgating the golf then surely this is a good thing?
Take a step back, Maxi, and think about what you've posted. I'm sure there are quite a few folks here who would regard these as offensive comments.

Any human death is a tragedy. The homeless person who dies huddled in a shop doorway on a freezing January night, with only a few sheets of cardboard to protect them from the crippling cold. The drug addict who overdoses in a squalid squat. Just making some bad choices doesn't make their death any less tragic.

I believe one of the hallmarks of a responsible, compassionate society is to do something to protect those who, for whatever reason, are making unwise choices. Most of us have had a moment of madness whilst driving, but we don't deserve to die for it just because some manufacturer has put profit before safety.

What Euro NCAP are doing may be flawed, but it sure is way better than doing nothing at all.
Thanks Ralf S., JTD_Liam, AGH1965 thanked for this post
Likes mikeoc liked this post
__________________


"Just 'cos you're not paranoid, doesn't mean they're not out to get you"


Last edited by jrkitching; 2 Weeks Ago at 11:13.
jrkitching is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #118
STOP! Hammer time!
 
306maxi's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: The Welsh Riviera
Posts: 23,673
Thanks: 845
Trader Rating: 0
306maxi has donated!
United Kingdom 
Quote Originally Posted by jrkitching View Post
Take a step back, Maxi, and think about what you've posted. I'm sure there are quite a few folks here who would regard these as offensive comments.

Any human death is a tragedy. The homeless person who dies huddled in a shop doorway on a freezing January night, with only a few sheets of cardboard to protect them from the crippling cold. The drug addict who overdoses in a squalid squat. Just making some bad choices doesn't make their death any less tragic.

I believe one of the hallmarks of a responsible, compassionate society is to do something to protect those who, for whatever reason, are making unwise choices. Most of us have had a moment of madness whilst driving, but we don't deserve to die for it just because some manufacturer has put profit before safety.

What Euro NCAP are doing may be flawed, but it sure is way better than doing nothing at all.
I despair at the human race though, so many people make obviously stupid decisions and then cry when it goes wrong. Accidents happen, but when common sense could have prevented an accident then thereís no real excuse. Being educated and researching things is out of fashion, so you get people accusing the EU of being involved because they havenít done any research. I posted a link to the NCAP site explaining how star ratings work and how to compare them, itís quite clear and well explained, but do you think anyone (other than possibly yourself) actually clicked it? I doubt it.

People have made their minds up and donít want information that could challenge their pre-conceived notion of what is right and what is wrong.

I stand by my statement that Fiat have failed to invest in new product and these 0 star ratings (which indicate that a car meets minimum standards, NOT that itís a death trap) are the symptom. Marchionne was an accountant and had no idea how to run a car company. It shows. Whilst his death might be a tragedy for those around him, as all deaths are, it willl be a positive for Fiat Chrapsler in the long run.

Iíve worked in the industry for 2 years as of this coming March. Itís been eye opening and has made me realise how little I knew about cars and how little I still know to be honest!
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

306maxi is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #119
STOP! Hammer time!
 
306maxi's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: The Welsh Riviera
Posts: 23,673
Thanks: 845
Trader Rating: 0
306maxi has donated!
United Kingdom 
Quote Originally Posted by jrkitching View Post
Any human death is a tragedy. The homeless person who dies huddled in a shop doorway on a freezing January night, with only a few sheets of cardboard to protect them from the crippling cold. The drug addict who overdoses in a squalid squat. Just making some bad choices doesn't make their death any less tragic..
Tragedies in varying amounts.

If the homeless person was given no support and died because of society just not giving a crap, then yeah thatís a major tragedy.

If the homeless person was given loads of opportunity to live in accommodation and chose not to, then itís still a waste of life and all, but not as much of a tragedy as the previous hypothetical homeless person.

I think as a society weíve become too compassionate and that helps people to justify their own poor behaviour.

I got tailgated by half a dozen idiots yesterday. Why should I be hurt become some idiot either doesnít understand reaction time or simply doesnít care?
Likes puntofan01 liked this post
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

306maxi is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #120
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 4,021
Thanks: 40
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Is The 105 TA Engine Still Available?

Quote Originally Posted by 306maxi View Post
I think as a society weíve become too compassionate and that helps people to justify their own poor behaviour.

I got tailgated by half a dozen idiots yesterday. Why should I be hurt become some idiot either doesnít understand reaction time or simply doesnít care?
I couldn't agree more. The aforementioned hypothetical motorcyclist is a perfect example of someone ultimately responsible for their own demise. Sticking with a motoring theme, boy racers are another perfect example.
Likes 306maxi liked this post
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

puntofan01 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Reply
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
(Tu) Engine Remapping - 105 TA MomentousMatt 500 2 08-05-2016 13:12
(T) Tappety engine - 105 multi-air Ransoman Punto Evo 3 08-10-2010 13:25
(T) marea jtd 105 engine problem alzfiat Marea 1 10-11-2007 16:53
(T) jtd 105 marea engine shudder alzfiat Marea 3 31-08-2007 01:58
105 Diesel Engine ajessop FIAT Boo Archives 0 02-02-2004 21:20