Register Login
The UK's No.1 Chrysler Owners Forum
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2018   #46
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 4,165
Thanks: 44
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Why Twinair never really worked

Quote Originally Posted by 306maxi View Post
Did you actually watch the video? He is an actual engineer, I think he knows a little bit more about engines and efficiency than you do. Small engines with turbos was a terrible idea for efficiency and the results bear it out, people with 1.2s get better fuel economy than most twinair drivers.
Yes, I did watch the video. No, I'm not an engineer, but I do actually have a basic understanding of how cars work, and how things can affect mpg.

Yes, utilising a tiny engine fitted with a turbo isn't especially economical, as I said, but the understanding I have is that replacing a N/A 1.6 with a lightly turboed 1.4 (for example,) would give a small improvement in real world driving.
Likes alexGS liked this post
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

puntofan01 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 08-08-2018   #47
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 619
Thanks: 35
Trader Rating: 0
Netherlands 
Re: Why Twinair never really worked

Quote Originally Posted by AndyRKett View Post
whereas the figures above, come from real-world testing of both cars side by side scientifically on the road.
This relates to a question I have. Where do these "real mpg figures" come from? Besides, what is side by side testing on the road? On what road is that possible? Only motorways?

Quote Originally Posted by AndyRKett View Post
So if you had bought the much more expensive and complex TA over the 1.2
There was a time that FIAT stopped selling the 1.2 in my country, because at that time it was due to CO2 related taxes more expensive than a TA and therefore unsellable. So what is more expensive? More expensive for FIAT to make is not the same as more expensive for the customer.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyRKett View Post
cost considerably more to repair and service
Do you suggest that every TA breaks down? Is TA maintenance really more expensive? Why? Two spark plugs less...
__________________
If I write something stupid, it's probably because English isn't my native language!
AGH1965 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 08-08-2018   #48
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Norfolk UK
Posts: 9,564
Thanks: 422
Blog Entries: 8
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Why Twinair never really worked

Quote Originally Posted by AGH1965 View Post
This relates to a question I have. Where do these "real mpg figures" come from? Besides, what is side by side testing on the road? On what road is that possible? Only motorways?

There was a time that FIAT stopped selling the 1.2 in my country, because at that time it was due to CO2 related taxes more expensive than a TA and therefore unsellable. So what is more expensive? More expensive for FIAT to make is not the same as more expensive for the customer.

Do you suggest that every TA breaks down? Is TA maintenance really more expensive? Why? Two spark plugs less...
I get the feeling I could spend an hour typing a very detailed and in depth answer to the question of how real world data is collated, however I'm gonna guess from your answer's already, I would be seriously wasting my time and even if you did read it all, you would still not believe any of it to be true.
So If you are interested and want to know all about real-world MPG testing, This link should tell you all you need to know.

The solenoid valves on the TA will all eventually fail, They are £1100 a piece. Lots of cars now reaching 6 - 8 years old with this problem and costly enough to write a car off depending on the model and age.

There is nothing like this on the 1.2 to replace. no turbo (turbos always go wrong eventually) no complicated balance shaft or associated bearings on the 1.2, so despite 2 less cylinders there are not less moving parts and the parts that are there are infinitely more complex and costly.

And due to the complexity of the engine, it is and always has been more expensive than the 1.2, the 1.2 not being available in your country temporarily doesn't change the cost of selling the cars, it just affects availability albeit only temporarily, now with real-world testing the CO2 figures are not dissimilar to the 1.2 and you'll see if you follow other threads on the forum, the twinair has been temporarily unavailable due to the new real world testing.

See this video from when the car was launched 8 years ago, not only did he find the same problems with the fuel economy and comment on the price difference and other pitfalls of the car, despite being otherwise positive about the new engine at the time .
__________________
Maker and voice behind the YouTube channel PuntoHowTo 10k subscribers canít be wrong

And now the owner of a shiny new PuntoHowTo Drivetribe
AndyRKett is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 08-08-2018   #49
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Monifieth
Posts: 276
Thanks: 20
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Why Twinair never really worked

Quote Originally Posted by AndyRKett View Post
And due to the complexity of the engine, it is and always has been more expensive than the 1.2, the 1.2 not being available in your country temporarily doesn't change the cost of selling the cars, it just affects availability albeit only temporarily, now with real-world testing the CO2 figures are not dissimilar to the 1.2 and you'll see if you follow other threads on the forum, the twinair has been temporarily unavailable due to the new real world testing.
Has that been confirmed though? The other thread is mainly conjecture. The UK Fiat configurator doesn't currently have any TA options for the 500 but mainland Europe websites still do. (UK Fiat site also still shows the Panda with TA engine options).
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

gazz_bee is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 08-08-2018   #50
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Norfolk UK
Posts: 9,564
Thanks: 422
Blog Entries: 8
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Why Twinair never really worked

Quote Originally Posted by gazz_bee View Post
Has that been confirmed though? The other thread is mainly conjecture. The UK Fiat configurator doesn't currently have any TA options for the 500 but mainland Europe websites still do. (UK Fiat site also still shows the Panda with TA engine options).
I don't doubt you can still go and buy one, the dealer will sell you a group stock twin air unregistered or you can buy plenty of pre-reg cars.

The fact that it is not on the website currently ( and I am only talking about the 500) for any model of 500 or 500c suggests currently you cannot specifically order one to be built, but I am happy to listen to anyone who goes into a dealer at the moment and asks to order one.

Conjecture is opinion, It is not anyone's 'opinion' that the Twinair is not on the website, for the 500 at the current time.
__________________
Maker and voice behind the YouTube channel PuntoHowTo 10k subscribers canít be wrong

And now the owner of a shiny new PuntoHowTo Drivetribe
AndyRKett is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 08-08-2018   #51
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 4,178
Thanks: 80
Trader Rating: 0
Greece 
Re: Why Twinair never really worked

Quote Originally Posted by alexGS View Post
And I think this is the underlying truth, really... the 1.4 gives the most consistent economy, but is not the most economical. Over all of our 500 Lounge driving, we’ve averaged 6.1L/100 - the claimed figure is 6.2L/100 - so we are happy. It seems to work well in our driving conditions.

I’m still certain that the comments about supercar efficiency can be summarised as ‘not efficient in typical driving conditions’, otherwise they’d be turning in good mpg and low emissions too.

-Alex
I am on 7.4l/100 km usually = ) Best I've gotten is 6.8!
__________________
ahmett is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 09-08-2018   #52
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 4,178
Thanks: 80
Trader Rating: 0
Greece 
Re: Why Twinair never really worked

Quote Originally Posted by AndyRKett View Post
I don't doubt you can still go and buy one, the dealer will sell you a group stock twin air unregistered or you can buy plenty of pre-reg cars.

The fact that it is not on the website currently ( and I am only talking about the 500) for any model of 500 or 500c suggests currently you cannot specifically order one to be built, but I am happy to listen to anyone who goes into a dealer at the moment and asks to order one.

Conjecture is opinion, It is not anyone's 'opinion' that the Twinair is not on the website, for the 500 at the current time.
So wait, you can only order the 1.2 Petrol or the 1.3 Diesel? Wow! I should keep my 1.4 forever then, it is an antique!
I am sure the engine will go on forever, it barely uses any oil after over 160,000 kms.
__________________
ahmett is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 09-08-2018   #53
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Norfolk UK
Posts: 9,564
Thanks: 422
Blog Entries: 8
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Why Twinair never really worked

Quote Originally Posted by ahmett View Post
So wait, you can only order the 1.2 Petrol or the 1.3 Diesel? Wow! I should keep my 1.4 forever then, it is an antique!


Nope, at the moment in the uk you can only buy the 1.2 69hp

No diesel option, no TA option and no 1.4, in fact youíve not been able to buy the diesel for a while and the 1.4 for longer than that.
__________________
Maker and voice behind the YouTube channel PuntoHowTo 10k subscribers canít be wrong

And now the owner of a shiny new PuntoHowTo Drivetribe
AndyRKett is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 09-08-2018   #54
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 4,178
Thanks: 80
Trader Rating: 0
Greece 
Re: Why Twinair never really worked

Quote Originally Posted by AndyRKett View Post
Nope, at the moment in the uk you can only buy the 1.2 69hp

No diesel option, no TA option and no 1.4, in fact youíve not been able to buy the diesel for a while and the 1.4 for longer than that.
That's insane. Is it affecting sales? I don't see that many Fiat 500's on the road anymore.
Likes AGH1965 liked this post
__________________
ahmett is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 09-08-2018   #55
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Norfolk UK
Posts: 9,564
Thanks: 422
Blog Entries: 8
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Why Twinair never really worked

Quote Originally Posted by ahmett View Post
That's insane. Is it affecting sales? I don't see that many Fiat 500's on the road anymore.


It still sells well in the uk, but now they have massively restricted the engine choices it remains to be seen how much that will affect sales.
__________________
Maker and voice behind the YouTube channel PuntoHowTo 10k subscribers canít be wrong

And now the owner of a shiny new PuntoHowTo Drivetribe
AndyRKett is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 09-08-2018   #56
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 798
Thanks: 13
Trader Rating: 0
JCarp16 has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Why Twinair never really worked

Maybe they are going to start using the new engines (the ones they launched in the Renegade facelift). The last I heard is that Fiat's current future model plan was 500 and Panda. The Punto will not be replaced. The new guy at the helm, Manley, - a Jeep man, is unlikely to change that. He will want to go where the profits are.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

JCarp16 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 09-08-2018   #57
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Monifieth
Posts: 276
Thanks: 20
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Quote Originally Posted by AndyRKett View Post
I don't doubt you can still go and buy one, the dealer will sell you a group stock twin air unregistered or you can buy plenty of pre-reg cars.

The fact that it is not on the website currently ( and I am only talking about the 500) for any model of 500 or 500c suggests currently you cannot specifically order one to be built, but I am happy to listen to anyone who goes into a dealer at the moment and asks to order one.

Conjecture is opinion, It is not anyone's 'opinion' that the Twinair is not on the website, for the 500 at the current time.
I repeat what I wrote earlier and is continued in comments below. I fully understand the difference between fact and opinion. The 500 twinair is not available on the UK Fiat website configurator but is on the equivalent mainland Europe websites, both of these are facts. The reason why it is not available on the UK website is conjecture.
Likes AGH1965 liked this post
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

gazz_bee is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 09-08-2018   #58
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 619
Thanks: 35
Trader Rating: 0
Netherlands 
Re: Why Twinair never really worked

Quote Originally Posted by AGH1965 View Post
Where do these "real mpg figures" come from?
Sorry for the confusion, but I meant the "real mpg figures" 306maxi posted here. These come from the honestjohn.co.uk website, which is hardly scientific. Everyone can upload his own "achiefments" and influence the verdict.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyRKett View Post
Your opinion is that the TA performs much better, but that is only conjecture
Again sorry for the confusion, but I meant that the TA is more powerful than the 1.2 and therefore performs much better. Overtaking with the TA isn't the suicide mission it is with the 1.2.
__________________
If I write something stupid, it's probably because English isn't my native language!
AGH1965 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 09-08-2018   #59
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Norfolk UK
Posts: 9,564
Thanks: 422
Blog Entries: 8
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Why Twinair never really worked

Quote Originally Posted by gazz_bee View Post
The reason why it is not available on the UK website is conjecture.

Ok I see your point, but what ever the situation itís not available.
__________________
Maker and voice behind the YouTube channel PuntoHowTo 10k subscribers canít be wrong

And now the owner of a shiny new PuntoHowTo Drivetribe
AndyRKett is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 09-08-2018   #60
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Norfolk UK
Posts: 9,564
Thanks: 422
Blog Entries: 8
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Why Twinair never really worked

Quote Originally Posted by AGH1965 View Post
Sorry for the confusion, but I meant the "real mpg figures" 306maxi posted here. These come from the honestjohn.co.uk website, which is hardly scientific. Everyone can upload his own "achiefments" and influence the verdict.
If you follow the link I left you can do your own research, honest John might be a commercial website, that doesnít mean the information is incorrect.







Quote Originally Posted by AGH1965 View Post
sorry for the confusion, but I meant that the TA is more powerful than the 1.2 and therefore performs much better. Overtaking with the TA isn't the suicide mission it is with the 1.2.

The 85hp twinair is hardly a sports car, the 105 might be a bit more competent at getting a move on but neither car is going to breeze past traffic without a lot of effort and a lot of noise.
__________________
Maker and voice behind the YouTube channel PuntoHowTo 10k subscribers canít be wrong

And now the owner of a shiny new PuntoHowTo Drivetribe
AndyRKett is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Reply
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
(G) My Alarm has never worked until... rat20v Stilo 1 22-08-2012 09:47
(G) Anyone worked on a dualogic? fiats n alfas Grande Punto 3 02-06-2011 00:17
Well that plan worked well !! udtrev Leisure Lounge 4 23-11-2009 12:00
For anyone whose ever worked with consultants Alex Leisure Lounge 0 17-11-2004 14:34