Register Login
Shop4Parts - UK's largest online superstore for FIAT and Alfa Romeo parts
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 18-07-2016   #1
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 9
Thanks: 0
Trader Rating: 0
Hong Kong 
DuaLogic gearbox no "P" for parking

I want to know how to park my Fiat500 correctly and the car is being locked! I worry my new Fiat500 will keep rolling on slopes. I'd like to know if the parking procedures with gear on will be like that:

Stop the car
1. Stop the car with Brake Pedal
2. If on uphill slope, keep the gear in A/M position (not in N). If on downhill slope, keep the gear in R position
3. Gear indicator is still on
4. Apply Hand-brake
5. Turn the ignition off
6. The car is locked

Star the car
1. Press Brake Pedal
2. Gear indication is blanking and shows N
3. Move the gear to N
4. Move the gear to A/M
5. Remove Hand-brake
6. Move the gear to A/M
7. Apply Accelerating pedal
8. The car moves forward

Am I correct?

Cheers
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

hardbeat is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 18-07-2016   #2
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 4,178
Thanks: 80
Trader Rating: 0
Greece 
Re: DuaLogic gearbox no "P" for parking

Quote Originally Posted by hardbeat View Post
I want to know how to park my Fiat500 correctly and the car is being locked! I worry my new Fiat500 will keep rolling on slopes. I'd like to know if the parking procedures with gear on will be like that:

Stop the car
1. Stop the car with Brake Pedal
2. If on uphill slope, keep the gear in A/M position (not in N). If on downhill slope, keep the gear in R position
3. Gear indicator is still on
4. Apply Hand-brake
5. Turn the ignition off
6. The car is locked

Star the car
1. Press Brake Pedal
2. Gear indication is blanking and shows N
3. Move the gear to N
4. Move the gear to A/M
5. Remove Hand-brake
6. Move the gear to A/M
7. Apply Accelerating pedal
8. The car moves forward

Am I correct?

Cheers
always leave it in gear with handbrake on. if it doesnt you hear a beep beep beep when u turn off the engine to remind you that you are wrong.
Likes 44sunsets liked this post
__________________
ahmett is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 20-07-2016   #3
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 155
Thanks: 5
Trader Rating: 0
Israel 
Re: DuaLogic gearbox no "P" for parking

You don't have to play with the gear so much, when you park the car on straight road just leave it on 1st and turn the car off (but i do leave the car on R when i park with the front towards down).
When you start it - i usualy to this:

1. Open the driver's door and let the dualogic pump do it's job for 6-7 sec.
2. Turn the swich to MAR
3. Move the gear lever to N (with the brake pedal pressed)
4. Turn the car on

You won't even have to press the brake pedal to start the car after that.

You will see how the car even stars faster, and thats because when you turn the car while it's in the 1st gear, there will be a small delay - its the dualogic moving the gear from 1 to N.
So if you move it to N while the swich is in MAR, your'e shorting this operation yourself = the car starts faster, and in the right way.

P.S iv'e been thought to do it by Fiat certified engineer
Likes 44sunsets, Eklipze3k liked this post
__________________
2010 Dualogic 1.4

Last edited by liav24; 20-07-2016 at 09:59.
liav24 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 21-07-2016   #4
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 9
Thanks: 0
Trader Rating: 0
Hong Kong 
Re: DuaLogic gearbox no "P" for parking

Thanks all!
Likes varesecrazy liked this post
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

hardbeat is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 24-07-2016   #5
Glory to Arstotzka!
 
44sunsets's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Sydney
Posts: 414
Thanks: 22
Trader Rating: 0
44sunsets has donated!
Australia 
Re: DuaLogic gearbox no "P" for parking

Quote Originally Posted by liav24 View Post
1. Open the driver's door and let the dualogic pump do it's job for 6-7 sec.
2. Turn the swich to MAR
3. Move the gear lever to N (with the brake pedal pressed)
4. Turn the car on
Yep there's a few ways to start a Dualogic car, here's my preferred method:

1. Open driver's side car door (which activates the pump)
2. Press down on the brake pedal (and keep it depressed)
3. Insert key into ignition and turn the car on -- note that the car always automatically starts in Neutral, even though you previously left it in gear)
4. Pull down on the gear lever (which shifts the car into 1st gear)
5. Release the hand brake
6. Release the brake pedal once I'm ready to move off.

To the OP: again, there's a couple of ways to do it, pick whatever procedure works best for you

And yes, to re-iterate what the others have said: when parking your car, always leave it in gear, apply the handbrake firmly, and then turn the car off.

Here's another tip if your 500 has rear drum brakes: press down very firmly on your brake pedal and then apply the hand brake. This will allow the hand brake mechanism to lock the wheels in place more securely when parking. I never had to do this on the Toyota Corolla and Yaris that I drove before getting my 500, so this quirk was new to me.
Likes alexGS liked this post
__________________

Last edited by 44sunsets; 24-07-2016 at 06:51.
44sunsets is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 09-08-2018   #6
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Trader Rating: 0
Romania 
Hey everybody and Iím glad to be here...

I have just bought a 500C dualogic and maybe you could help me with something, of course gearbox related, witch obviously it is not actualy an automatic but something strange happens while driving...every time is shifting up (in manual or auto, no matter and in every gear) the car is slowed down pretty much for about 1sec (like an engine brake) and after that the car continues to accelerate normaly. This happens every up shift from 2nd to 5ft gear, is this normal behaviour?
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

HerrDoc is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 11-08-2018   #7
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 11
Thanks: 0
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: DuaLogic gearbox no "P" for parking

Hi , just to jump in. I've just recently bought a 500 L with the dualogic gearbox. My car still rolls when parked in gear if the handbrake is not fully on. So does anyone know if a 64 plate relies solely on the handbrake or is there an issue with mine . Need help as Fiat dealer is being totally unhelpful.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

MIV is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 11-08-2018   #8
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Near the M4
Posts: 19,968
Thanks: 710
Trader Rating: 0
varesecrazy has donated!
United Kingdom 
Quote Originally Posted by MIV View Post
Hi , just to jump in. I've just recently bought a 500 L with the dualogic gearbox. My car still rolls when parked in gear if the handbrake is not fully on. So does anyone know if a 64 plate relies solely on the handbrake or is there an issue with mine . Need help as Fiat dealer is being totally unhelpful.
Youve got what it essentially a MANUAL gearbox.

With the ROBOT CLUTCH disengaged.. so of course it will roll

Handbrake should be up to the job.. if not get it looked at:

For wear

For contamination

Charlie
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

varesecrazy is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 11-08-2018   #9
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Near the M4
Posts: 19,968
Thanks: 710
Trader Rating: 0
varesecrazy has donated!
United Kingdom 
Quote Originally Posted by HerrDoc View Post
Hey everybody and Iím glad to be here...

I have just bought a 500C dualogic and maybe you could help me with something, of course gearbox related, witch obviously it is not actualy an automatic but something strange happens while driving...every time is shifting up (in manual or auto, no matter and in every gear) the car is slowed down pretty much for about 1sec (like an engine brake) and after that the car continues to accelerate normaly. This happens every up shift from 2nd to 5ft gear, is this normal behaviour?
It is disengaging DRIVE to select the next gear.. then re.engaging the clutch..

So YES there will always be a momentary lapse in acceleration.

How pronounced that is.. that is open to debate.

Charlie
Likes alexGS liked this post
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

varesecrazy is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 11-08-2018   #10
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Trader Rating: 0
Romania 
Re: DuaLogic gearbox no "P" for parking

Thank you varesecrazy...good to know it is normal behaviour. IMO it is pretty annoying especially when uphill or when overtaking other cars

Very usefull info also about the way you need to park the car...before reading this post, I did leave it in 1st but when I turned the engine on next time it showed N, so I thought that it is useless to leave it in 1st because it will go in N anyway after turning the engine off...but as I read here I understand that it will not go in N after you turn the engine off but only when turning the engine on again...hope this is correct

Thank you all
Likes alexGS, varesecrazy liked this post
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

HerrDoc is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 11-08-2018   #11
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 11
Thanks: 0
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: DuaLogic gearbox no "P" for parking

Thanks for the reply to my gearbox question. But if it is as u describe A Robot clutch DISSENGAGED then surely it is still in gear. As when you turn on the ignition it is still in 1st. If u park a manual gearbox in gear it won't roll unless on a very steep gradient. Also when I leave it in R facing forwards down a hill it still rolls. Does any one have this with their dualogic box. Been driving a loooooong time and never had a car that would move whilst in gear. HELP<HELP<HELP>HELP>HELP
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

MIV is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 11-08-2018   #12
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Norfolk
Posts: 749
Thanks: 57
Trader Rating: 0
irc has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: DuaLogic gearbox no "P" for parking

Quote Originally Posted by MIV View Post
Thanks for the reply to my gearbox question. But if it is as u describe A Robot clutch DISSENGAGED then surely it is still in gear. As when you turn on the ignition it is still in 1st. If u park a manual gearbox in gear it won't roll unless on a very steep gradient. Also when I leave it in R facing forwards down a hill it still rolls. Does any one have this with their dualogic box. Been driving a loooooong time and never had a car that would move whilst in gear. HELP<HELP<HELP>HELP>HELP
Dualogic on my Panda leaves 1st gear selected when switched off, as long as you don't select Neutral before switching off (that is, it selects first and then "releases the clutch"). Pushing it results in less than a couple of inches of transmission shunt. Never checked what it does in reverse, or what it does when driving in manual mode though.
Can't see why newer versions would behave differently, but then again...
Likes varesecrazy liked this post
__________________
irc
Panda Sporting MultiJet 1.3 "Diesel Weasel"
Panda Sporting MultiJet 1.3 "Pig"
Panda Eleganza Dualogic 1.2 "Magic Panda"
irc is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 11-08-2018   #13
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 11
Thanks: 0
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: DuaLogic gearbox no "P" for parking

Thanks for your reply. It's driving me crazy that the fiat dealership I bought the car from don't no the answer ( or won't give me the answer ). Anyone else out there with this gearbox???????????????????????????///
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

MIV is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 12-08-2018   #14
It's always more involved
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Tynemouth
Posts: 2,757
Thanks: 97
Trader Rating: 0
John202020 has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: DuaLogic gearbox no "P" for parking

Out of interest how does the manual say to correctly park the car, if it does?
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

John202020 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 12-08-2018   #15
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 11
Thanks: 0
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: DuaLogic gearbox no "P" for parking

It tells you to park in gear. So you would think that this is for a reason, like to hold the car. But in my case it makes no difference, still moves. Not the best when you live in a city with lots of hills.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

MIV is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Reply
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
(G) Dualogic "Gear not available" in reverse LemonBear Grande Punto 5 09-12-2014 04:38
(T) Fiat Stilo 1.2 Electronic FaultThe engine have this "hiccups", then the "city" functi BladeRunner2019 Stilo 11 02-03-2011 19:04
(T) Dualogic "whistles" luvduvs Grande Punto 6 16-04-2009 12:17
Parking "ticket" Andy Monty Leisure Lounge 19 20-07-2008 11:58