Register Login
Save up to 15% with Adrian Flux insurance!
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 15-07-2015   #1
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 178
Thanks: 3
Trader Rating: 0
Australia 
Location of the TwinAir Engine Number

My daughter has just bought a new Panda TwinAir interstate and will have to register it herself when it arrives.
She lives 6 hours away from me so I won't be able to help.
To do this she will have to be able to show them where the engine number is so they can verify it against the paperwork.
I believe the engine is identical to the 500 TAs
I have a 500 TwinAir (model) and the manual says that the engine number is "stamped on the cylinder block". Not very specific!!
Have looked all over and can't see it with the engine cover in place.
She won't be able to remove the engine cover so I am hoping you CAN see it with it in place.


Could someone give me an idea where it is on the 500 as my guess would be that it be the same on the Panda
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

Aussie500nut is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 16-07-2015   #2
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 1,019
Thanks: 72
Trader Rating: 0
Australia 
Re: Location of the TwinAir Engine Number

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie500nut View Post
My daughter has just bought a new Panda TwinAir interstate and will have to register it herself when it arrives.
She lives 6 hours away from me so I won't be able to help.
To do this she will have to be able to show them where the engine number is so they can verify it against the paperwork.
I believe the engine is identical to the 500 TAs
I have a 500 TwinAir (model) and the manual says that the engine number is "stamped on the cylinder block". Not very specific!!
Have looked all over and can't see it with the engine cover in place.
She won't be able to remove the engine cover so I am hoping you CAN see it with it in place.


Could someone give me an idea where it is on the 500 as my guess would be that it be the same on the Panda
Had a look around mine today but I can't see it either. I think it may be visible once you remove the air-filter housing, I remember seeing some numbers stamped somewhere under there last time I had it off but I didn't pay 'em much heed at the time.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

Piccolo Nero e Bella is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 16-07-2015   #3
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 178
Thanks: 3
Trader Rating: 0
Australia 
Re: Location of the TwinAir Engine Number

Quote Originally Posted by Piccolo Nero e Bella View Post
Had a look around mine today but I can't see it either. I think it may be visible once you remove the air-filter housing, I remember seeing some numbers stamped somewhere under there last time I had it off but I didn't pay 'em much heed at the time.
Thanks for your reply

You must have the special tool to get the circular clip off the top of the turbo tube. Unfortunately I don't have one (yet) and of course she doesn't.
To avoid having to get a permit to drive it 3kms to the Motor Registry, she was going to get the car delivered at the registry, so I suggested that she go and discuss with them what she was proposing to do.
Turns out they were very helpful and even better, earlier this year new laws came into effect and new cars do not have to checked out by them.
All you need is the paperwork from the purchase showing VIN and engine numbers, compliance details and your drivers licence.
They take your money and you can drive the car - legally


All too easy
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

Aussie500nut is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 16-07-2015   #4
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 1,019
Thanks: 72
Trader Rating: 0
Australia 
Re: Location of the TwinAir Engine Number

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie500nut View Post
All too easy
Very pleased to hear it.

I don't have any special tools, my mechanic prised the hose-clamp off when he serviced the car and we replaced it with a worm-screw type - much easier. In fact it's still there swinging off the tube, I must remember to get rid of it next time...
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

Piccolo Nero e Bella is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 16-07-2015   #5
Happy Chappy
 
Mick F's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Tamar Valley, Cornwall
Posts: 1,468
Thanks: 57
Trader Rating: 0
Mick F has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Location of the TwinAir Engine Number

Special tool?
Just squeeze it and it unclips. I use my fingers, but maybe a small screwdriver to lift the clip off instead.

All the ring is, is a circular metal thingy with a hook. The hook clips over the other end. Just squeeze and lift it off.

.................. or that's the way ours is.

Regards,
Mick.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

Mick F is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 16-07-2015   #6
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 1,019
Thanks: 72
Trader Rating: 0
Australia 
Re: Location of the TwinAir Engine Number

Quote Originally Posted by Mick F View Post
Special tool?
Just squeeze it and it unclips. I use my fingers, but maybe a small screwdriver to lift the clip off instead.

All the ring is, is a circular metal thingy with a hook. The hook clips over the other end. Just squeeze and lift it off.

.................. or that's the way ours is.

Regards,
Mick.
This one's differnt to that Mick. Not sure how it was suppposed to work cos it got a bit hacked in the 'removal' process!
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

Piccolo Nero e Bella is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 17-07-2015   #7
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Sydney
Posts: 124
Thanks: 6
Trader Rating: 0
Australia 
Re: Location of the TwinAir Engine Number

When I bought my Panda TA in Victoria and drove it home to NSW on a travel permit last July, I had to get what used to be called a Blueslip (identification and roadworthy) inspection before I could get it registered in NSW. The mechanic did take a while to find the engine number...
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

AusPanda is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 22-07-2015   #8
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 1,019
Thanks: 72
Trader Rating: 0
Australia 
Re: Location of the TwinAir Engine Number

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie500nut View Post
Could someone give me an idea where it is on the 500 as my guess would be that it be the same on the Panda
Took the cover off mine yesterday, regret to say no engine number visible. It's not necessary to remove the hose clamp, just take out the two bolts and unscrew the bracket on the intake and you can push it aside enough to inspect the area.
Thanks Mick F thanked for this post
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

Piccolo Nero e Bella is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 24-07-2015   #9
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 178
Thanks: 3
Trader Rating: 0
Australia 
Re: Location of the TwinAir Engine Number

Quote Originally Posted by AusPanda View Post
When I bought my Panda TA in Victoria and drove it home to NSW on a travel permit last July, I had to get what used to be called a Blueslip (identification and roadworthy) inspection before I could get it registered in NSW. The mechanic did take a while to find the engine number...
Thanks for the heads up
New laws here in Queensland don't require any verification of numbers at all now.
They accept those on the official receipt and I'm guessing cross checking with those in the logbook.
I have suggested she prints out a photo of the compliance plate as well.

BTW - I know this is the 500 forum, but how have you found the Panda ?
The daughters has left Victoria and is due in Rockhampton next week
Been a long 3 weeks for her so far and still counting.


Quote Originally Posted by Piccolo Nero e Bella View Post
Took the cover off mine yesterday, regret to say no engine number visible. It's not necessary to remove the hose clamp, just take out the two bolts and unscrew the bracket on the intake and you can push it aside enough to inspect the area.
Hey Piccolo
Many thanks for all the trouble you have gone to
The notation in the Fiat manual of "engine number stamped into the block" does seem a tad vague LOL
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

Aussie500nut is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Reply
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
(G) Engine Number Location? billybob1970 Ducato 4 16-01-2018 03:19
(T) Engine Number location Pretorian Tipo (Classic) 8 12-09-2017 16:58
(T) engine number location?? MintySport Cinquecento / Seicento 2 06-08-2008 21:28
(G) engine number location panda-sport Punto (Mk2/2b) 2 12-05-2007 21:00
(G) engine number location sokapo Punto (Mk2/2b) 1 06-02-2006 01:56