Register Login
The UK's No.1 Chrysler Owners Forum
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 20-04-2015   #46
Happy Chappy
 
Mick F's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Tamar Valley, Cornwall
Posts: 1,468
Thanks: 57
Trader Rating: 0
Mick F has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Starting a Twin Air

I made a cock-up starting 500TA yesterday afternoon.

We'd been out yesterday morning - home at half past ten - then out again at half past one, so the car had been stopped only three hours.

I was chatting and not paying enough attention .............. I'd inserted the key and I'd turned it to MAR, then depressed the clutch, and then turned the key to AVV.

Nothing!
Not a jot!
Silence!
As soon as "nothing" happened, I exactly realised what I'd done.

Next, all the way off, depressed the clutch again, then turned directly to AVV and the engine bust into life immediately as it should.

When we'd come home at 10:30, I'd driven forwards up the drive - 100yds uphill steeply from the gate - in 1st gear, set the handbrake and then switched off whilst my foot was still on the clutch and still in 1st gear. I didn't release the clutch, and I'm sure I never do at the top of the drive.

Cheers guys,
Mick.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides


Last edited by Mick F; 20-04-2015 at 07:24.
Mick F is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 20-04-2015   #47
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 617
Thanks: 35
Trader Rating: 0
Netherlands 
Re: Starting a Twin Air

Quote Originally Posted by Mick F View Post
I'd inserted the key and I'd turned it to MAR, then depressed the clutch, and then turned the key to AVV.

Nothing!
Waiting with the key at MAR isn't a problem as long as you depress the clutch before turning the key to MAR. This is exactly what I do every time I start my TwinAir, since I always wait for the warning lights to go out before I turn the key from MAR to AVV.
Likes rkt2003 liked this post
__________________
If I write something stupid, it's probably because English isn't my native language!
AGH1965 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 20-04-2015   #48
Fiat/Abarth (17)
 
rkt2003's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: REDCAR
Posts: 1,067
Thanks: 62
Trader Rating: 0
rkt2003 has donated!
Guess Next Champion
United Kingdom 
Re: Starting a Twin Air

Quote Originally Posted by AGH1965 View Post
Waiting with the key at MAR isn't a problem as long as you depress the clutch before turning the key to MAR. This is exactly what I do every time I start my TwinAir, since I always wait for the warning lights to go out before I turn the key from MAR to AVV.
I do exactly the same as yourself
__________________

Abarth 500 Competizione inc limited Slip Differential ,Koni suspension ,Black Leather Sabelt Seats Carbon Fibre Seat Backs,Record Monza” exhaust , fixed 4-piston calipers by Brembo, Electric sunroof, 17" Supersport Matt alloys, 7 inch entertainment screen with built in sat nav via Tom Tom,Dr Dre Beats audio with sub , Gara white,
rkt2003 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 20-04-2015   #49
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: East Midlands
Posts: 2,386
Thanks: 136
Trader Rating: 0
frupi has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Starting a Twin Air

Lol! this is all starting to sound a bit complicated. We just get into our TA, put key in, dip clutch and start. Simples!
Likes Mercky, rkt2003 liked this post
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

frupi is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 20-04-2015   #50
Fiat/Abarth (17)
 
rkt2003's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: REDCAR
Posts: 1,067
Thanks: 62
Trader Rating: 0
rkt2003 has donated!
Guess Next Champion
United Kingdom 
Re: Starting a Twin Air

Quote Originally Posted by frupi View Post
Lol! this is all starting to sound a bit complicated. We just get into our TA, put key in, dip clutch and start. Simples!
Lol i wish mine was ,when she wants she starts like yours
__________________

Abarth 500 Competizione inc limited Slip Differential ,Koni suspension ,Black Leather Sabelt Seats Carbon Fibre Seat Backs,Record Monza” exhaust , fixed 4-piston calipers by Brembo, Electric sunroof, 17" Supersport Matt alloys, 7 inch entertainment screen with built in sat nav via Tom Tom,Dr Dre Beats audio with sub , Gara white,
rkt2003 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 20-04-2015   #51
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: East Midlands
Posts: 2,386
Thanks: 136
Trader Rating: 0
frupi has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Starting a Twin Air

Funny thing and now going to the S/S on our TA. We switched our S/S off weeks ago because it would only operate for about 20 seconds before restarting the engine all on its own. Yesterday just to amuse myself, I switched it back on. Stopped in traffic and the engine cut out and stayed silent for nearly 5 minutes whilst waiting until I dipped the clutch. So S/S actually worked properly! I despair sometimes! Apologies for going slightly off topic!
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

frupi is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 20-04-2015   #52
Full Circle
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Dublin
Posts: 1,550
Thanks: 78
Trader Rating: 0
Mercky has donated!
Ireland 
Re: Starting a Twin Air

Quote Originally Posted by frupi View Post
Lol! this is all starting to sound a bit complicated. We just get into our TA, put key in, dip clutch and start. Simples!

I unlock the door first though!
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

Mercky is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 21-04-2015   #53
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Oxfordshire
Posts: 2,393
Thanks: 204
Trader Rating: 0
JTD_Liam has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Starting a Twin Air

Our 12 plate 500 TwinAir Lounge starts whichever way you go about it - clutch pressed, clutch not pressed, turning straight to start or stopping & waiting for warning lights to go out.

We usually wait for the relevant warning lights to go out before starting, and I usually put the clutch down too. However my Parents don't press the clutch and it starts fine, and I don't think Dad always waits for the warning lights either, again it starts fine.

I'd say if your car's that fussy about starting, it needs something repairing or replacing. It's not just a Fiat quirk - I've never experienced a Fiat behaving like this, and I've driven loads of them.
Likes rkt2003 liked this post
__________________
2003-2005 - 1996 Punto 75SX 5 Door -- 2004-2008 - 2000 Punto JTD HLX 5 Door -- 2008-2014 - 2004 Stilo JTD Dynamic 3 Door --
2014-2017 - 2013 Alfa MiTo -- 2017-2018 - 2016 Alfa Giulietta
Current - 2018 '68' Tipo T-JET S-Design - Street Grey

JTD_Liam is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 21-04-2015   #54
Fiat/Abarth (17)
 
rkt2003's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: REDCAR
Posts: 1,067
Thanks: 62
Trader Rating: 0
rkt2003 has donated!
Guess Next Champion
United Kingdom 
Re: Starting a Twin Air

Quote Originally Posted by JTD_Liam View Post
Our 12 plate 500 TwinAir Lounge starts whichever way you go about it - clutch pressed, clutch not pressed, turning straight to start or stopping & waiting for warning lights to go out.

We usually wait for the relevant warning lights to go out before starting, and I usually put the clutch down too. However my Parents don't press the clutch and it starts fine, and I don't think Dad always waits for the warning lights either, again it starts fine.

I'd say if your car's that fussy about starting, it needs something repairing or replacing. It's not just a Fiat quirk - I've never experienced a Fiat behaving like this, and I've driven loads of them.
I know Liam i agree ive also had loads of Fiats and never a problem until now ,i have a case number rang Fiat today awaited a return call while at work none returned They want my car for a week or more but the dealership cannot get a courtesy car for me for more than a day ,so she said she would try the dealer i bought it from 130 miles or so away and meanwhile a week later im still waiting tut tut .
__________________

Abarth 500 Competizione inc limited Slip Differential ,Koni suspension ,Black Leather Sabelt Seats Carbon Fibre Seat Backs,Record Monza” exhaust , fixed 4-piston calipers by Brembo, Electric sunroof, 17" Supersport Matt alloys, 7 inch entertainment screen with built in sat nav via Tom Tom,Dr Dre Beats audio with sub , Gara white,
rkt2003 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 22-04-2015   #55
Happy Chappy
 
Mick F's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Tamar Valley, Cornwall
Posts: 1,468
Thanks: 57
Trader Rating: 0
Mick F has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Starting a Twin Air

Quote Originally Posted by JTD_Liam View Post
Our 12 plate 500 TwinAir Lounge starts whichever way you go about it - clutch pressed, clutch not pressed, turning straight to start or stopping & waiting for warning lights to go out.

We usually wait for the relevant warning lights to go out before starting, and I usually put the clutch down too. However my Parents don't press the clutch and it starts fine, and I don't think Dad always waits for the warning lights either, again it starts fine.

I'd say if your car's that fussy about starting, it needs something repairing or replacing. It's not just a Fiat quirk - I've never experienced a Fiat behaving like this, and I've driven loads of them.
Thanks for that.

Mine starts 100% of the time providing you follow Fiat's instructions.

Seems like yours will start when NOT following the instructions, and to be absolutely honest, I wish ours was "defective" like yours.

As I said before, I'll give it until the beginning of May and then I'll do some experimenting to get factual data recorded. Rest assured, I'll get back to you all about it.

Cheers,
Mick.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

Mick F is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 24-05-2015   #56
Happy Chappy
 
Mick F's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Tamar Valley, Cornwall
Posts: 1,468
Thanks: 57
Trader Rating: 0
Mick F has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Starting a Twin Air

Well, here we are three weeks down the line from my testing and recording.
I'm as confused as ever now, because things have changed.
Just come in from shopping, and now I have three weeks of starting .......... and I've started her up 38 times (not counting Stop/Start sequences).

Every single one of those was with gears in neutral, no seatbelt fastened,key inserted and turned directly to AVV. Every single one of those 38 times, she has started instantly.

This is contrary to what happened before and contrary to Fiat's instructions, and I'm now at a loss to explain anything. Had it been like this before, I wouldn't have said a dickey bird about anything!

As an added extra to this story, when I started up at Lidl's, I did exactly as above, and she started up as perfectly as normal ................... BUT ............

Something very strange indeed!
She started up, but there was no dash indications at all. Not a sausage, nothing. The engine was running perfectly, the rev counter was showing correctly, but nothing else.

A couple of seconds later, the dash lights came on as if she was at MAR, then went off again as normal then leaving on the handbrake light and the seatbelt warning. Date and time was correct and temp and fuel levels correct too.

I drove home without issue.

Puzzled,
Mick.
Likes varesecrazy liked this post
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

Mick F is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 24-05-2015   #57
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 617
Thanks: 35
Trader Rating: 0
Netherlands 
Re: Starting a Twin Air

Quote Originally Posted by Mick F View Post
Every single one of those was with gears in neutral, no seatbelt fastened,key inserted and turned directly to AVV. Every single one of those 38 times, she has started instantly.
You don't mention the clutch. What did you do with it?
__________________
If I write something stupid, it's probably because English isn't my native language!
AGH1965 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 24-05-2015   #58
Happy Chappy
 
Mick F's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Tamar Valley, Cornwall
Posts: 1,468
Thanks: 57
Trader Rating: 0
Mick F has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Starting a Twin Air

Sorry, should've said.
No clutch depressed.

Neutral, no seatbelt, no clutch, key in and straight to AVV.
Instant start every single time.

Mick.
Thanks AGH1965 thanked for this post
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

Mick F is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 25-05-2015   #59
Fiat/Abarth (17)
 
rkt2003's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: REDCAR
Posts: 1,067
Thanks: 62
Trader Rating: 0
rkt2003 has donated!
Guess Next Champion
United Kingdom 
Re: Starting a Twin Air

Quote Originally Posted by Mick F View Post
Well, here we are three weeks down the line from my testing and recording.
I'm as confused as ever now, because things have changed.
Just come in from shopping, and now I have three weeks of starting .......... and I've started her up 38 times (not counting Stop/Start sequences).

Every single one of those was with gears in neutral, no seatbelt fastened,key inserted and turned directly to AVV. Every single one of those 38 times, she has started instantly.

This is contrary to what happened before and contrary to Fiat's instructions, and I'm now at a loss to explain anything. Had it been like this before, I wouldn't have said a dickey bird about anything!

As an added extra to this story, when I started up at Lidl's, I did exactly as above, and she started up as perfectly as normal ................... BUT ............

Something very strange indeed!
She started up, but there was no dash indications at all. Not a sausage, nothing. The engine was running perfectly, the rev counter was showing correctly, but nothing else.

A couple of seconds later, the dash lights came on as if she was at MAR, then went off again as normal then leaving on the handbrake light and the seatbelt warning. Date and time was correct and temp and fuel levels correct too.

I drove home without issue.

Puzzled,
Mick.
Do you mean some of the display on your binnacle was missing then re appeared Mick?
__________________

Abarth 500 Competizione inc limited Slip Differential ,Koni suspension ,Black Leather Sabelt Seats Carbon Fibre Seat Backs,Record Monza” exhaust , fixed 4-piston calipers by Brembo, Electric sunroof, 17" Supersport Matt alloys, 7 inch entertainment screen with built in sat nav via Tom Tom,Dr Dre Beats audio with sub , Gara white,
rkt2003 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 26-05-2015   #60
Happy Chappy
 
Mick F's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Tamar Valley, Cornwall
Posts: 1,468
Thanks: 57
Trader Rating: 0
Mick F has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Starting a Twin Air

Yes, it was ALL of the binnacle display that was unlit.
It was as if no key had been inserted. Totally blank even though the engine was running happily.

Out yesterday, started a few times, and all was fine. I'm going to continue to start with no seatbelt, no clutch, in neutral, and straight to AVV ........... just like all the other cars I've driven over the last 45years.

Regards,
Mick.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

Mick F is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Reply
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
500 help with twin air Beau21 Newbie Central 3 04-12-2014 16:20
(G) Twin air with no air con. Robmckenzieuk 500 22 27-02-2012 07:46
(G) 1.4 to Twin Air Littala 500 79 05-06-2011 21:02
(G) Are twin air is in the uk Tlbarrs 500 3 26-01-2011 19:33
(G) Twin-Air Viper19 500 3 12-04-2010 17:38