Register Login
Save up to 15% with Adrian Flux insurance!
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 16-10-2012   #16
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bit south in Devon like
Posts: 1,924
Thanks: 151
Trader Rating: 0
Super Uwe has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Scamming the scammers

I have to say I do kind of like this scammer - I mean, they have really taken the trouble to come up with a cracking story!

I'm just looking forward to the next instalment from RobinPJ, how long will it take them to ask for some credit card details????????
__________________
Had a 500, then a Panda, then a Punto, wife had another 500...now a Fiesta
Super Uwe is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 16-10-2012   #17
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 3,632
Thanks: 237
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Scamming the scammers

I think at least one more message before that.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

RobinPJ is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 16-10-2012   #18
STOP! Hammer time!
 
306maxi's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: The Welsh Riviera
Posts: 23,701
Thanks: 845
Trader Rating: 0
306maxi has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Scamming the scammers

Quote Originally Posted by RobinPJ View Post
I think at least one more message before that.
Best way to win a scammers trust is to say that you're very cautious and say things like "Is that safe?" when they ask you to provide details
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

306maxi is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 16-10-2012   #19
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: East Midlands
Posts: 2,387
Thanks: 136
Trader Rating: 0
frupi has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Scamming the scammers

Having read through this thread, I would be involving the police or at least passing everything received thus far, to them for intelligence purposes. I would also inform Trading Standards or whatever it is they are called these days.

I have a suspicion that Hartwell at Dunstable don't have any clue here what is going on. If this just slips by and turns out not to be legitimate, then some unfortunate person, could be out of pocket to the tune of several thousand pounds.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

frupi is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 16-10-2012   #20
STOP! Hammer time!
 
306maxi's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: The Welsh Riviera
Posts: 23,701
Thanks: 845
Trader Rating: 0
306maxi has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Scamming the scammers

Quote Originally Posted by frupi View Post
Having read through this thread, I would be involving the police or at least passing everything received thus far, to them for intelligence purposes. I would also inform Trading Standards or whatever it is they are called these days.

I have a suspicion that Hartwell at Dunstable don't have any clue here what is going on. If this just slips by and turns out not to be legitimate, then some unfortunate person, could be out of pocket to the tune of several thousand pounds.
Yes, but is the person even in the UK or Ireland? I doubt it.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

306maxi is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 16-10-2012   #21
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 3,632
Thanks: 237
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Scamming the scammers

Quote Originally Posted by frupi View Post
Having read through this thread, I would be involving the police or at least passing everything received thus far, to them for intelligence purposes. I would also inform Trading Standards or whatever it is they are called these days.

I have a suspicion that Hartwell at Dunstable don't have any clue here what is going on. If this just slips by and turns out not to be legitimate, then some unfortunate person, could be out of pocket to the tune of several thousand pounds.
This goes on all the time, and the Police will not be interested I suspect. The person doing this is almost certainly in West Africa and so there is not much the police can do. Hartwells also probably don't care because they won't be liable for anything.

Fortunately most people will spot what is happening before they get sucked in.

The only thing you could do is tell the website where the fake ad is up, but if you did this another one would pop straight up in its place.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

RobinPJ is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 16-10-2012   #22
TA to Turismo
 
arorat's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: London
Posts: 1,360
Thanks: 63
Trader Rating: 0
arorat has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Scamming the scammers

Quote Originally Posted by 306maxi View Post
Yes, but is the person even in the UK or Ireland? I doubt it.
You should be able to pick the source IP from email header and do a lookup !! but a cleaver scammer sitting in UK may use a proxy in Ireland - maybe
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

arorat is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 16-10-2012   #23
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Fff
Posts: 382
Thanks: 62
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Scamming the scammers

Sorry just seen info already posted Doh!
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides


Last edited by flashyphotos; 16-10-2012 at 17:32.
flashyphotos is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 16-10-2012   #24
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Essex/Suffolk border
Posts: 82,433
Thanks: 1458
Trader Rating: 10
dave has donated!
dave is an official FF Advertiser
dave is an honorary friend of the forum :)
United Kingdom 
Re: Scamming the scammers

a few years ago some one posted a seicento on here that was too cheap to be true 300 when they was all selling for over 1000, i bought it, stuck a years mot on it and put it through an auction and got 1300 for it
__________________
dave is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 16-10-2012   #25
STOP! Hammer time!
 
306maxi's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: The Welsh Riviera
Posts: 23,701
Thanks: 845
Trader Rating: 0
306maxi has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Scamming the scammers

Quote Originally Posted by dave View Post
a few years ago some one posted a seicento on here that was too cheap to be true 300 when they was all selling for over 1000, i bought it, stuck a years mot on it and put it through an auction and got 1300 for it
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

306maxi is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 16-10-2012   #26
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: In the sea
Posts: 2,517
Thanks: 277
Trader Rating: 0
deeyup has donated!
Push it Champion
United Kingdom 
Re: Scamming the scammers

This happens all the time when selling too "I work at sea and want the car delivered to my brother blah blah blah, I'll give you the full asking price directly to your account blah blah"

The next bit I don't understand exactly how it works. They overpay you and ask for a refund of the overpayment. It looks like you have the money, then after you refund the difference, your bank 2 weeks later remove the rest of the money. If you're really unlucky, they've sent someone to collect the car too.
Likes h2ypr liked this post
__________________

deeyup is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 16-10-2012   #27
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 4,178
Thanks: 80
Trader Rating: 0
Greece 
Re: Scamming the scammers

Quote Originally Posted by deeyup View Post
This happens all the time when selling too "I work at sea and want the car delivered to my brother blah blah blah, I'll give you the full asking price directly to your account blah blah"

The next bit I don't understand exactly how it works. They overpay you and ask for a refund of the overpayment. It looks like you have the money, then after you refund the difference, your bank 2 weeks later remove the rest of the money. If you're really unlucky, they've sent someone to collect the car too.

do it drug dealer style go there with hard cash buy the car then ship it yourself. you cant get scammed out of that!
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

ahmett is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 16-10-2012   #28
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 3,632
Thanks: 237
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Scamming the scammers

I'm expecting "her" to say that I can pay the money to an "escrow agent" and then she will have the car delivered to me, and if I don't like it they will take it away and the agent will give me my money back.

An escrow agent will do just that - hold funds until the parties agree who should have them. The trap is that the person who supposedly is an escrow agent in this scenario actually is not, and just hands them striaght over to the receiving party.

Hopefully we will see soon....
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

RobinPJ is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 16-10-2012   #29
STOP! Hammer time!
 
306maxi's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: The Welsh Riviera
Posts: 23,701
Thanks: 845
Trader Rating: 0
306maxi has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Scamming the scammers

Quote Originally Posted by RobinPJ View Post
I'm expecting "her" to say that I can pay the money to an "escrow agent" and then she will have the car delivered to me, and if I don't like it they will take it away and the agent will give me my money back.

An escrow agent will do just that - hold funds until the parties agree who should have them. The trap is that the person who supposedly is an escrow agent in this scenario actually is not, and just hands them striaght over to the receiving party.

Hopefully we will see soon....
Ye of little faith!
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

306maxi is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 16-10-2012   #30
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 3,632
Thanks: 237
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Scamming the scammers

Quote Originally Posted by ahmett View Post
do it drug dealer style go there with hard cash buy the car then ship it yourself. you cant get scammed out of that!
Ahmett. Let me try to explain this using words of only one syllable.

They don't have a car to sell.
So they won't let you come with cash.
They need you to send funds to them.
That's how the scam works.

Got it?
Thanks 306maxi thanked for this post
Likes ascott92, homeward, Eklipze3k, 306maxi liked this post
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

RobinPJ is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Reply
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Scammers read the clasifieds on this site symonh2000 Leisure Lounge 24 07-09-2010 09:09
Scamming the 419 Scammer! Chas Uno Leisure Lounge 18 26-04-2007 17:23
scammers again... christopher watson Leisure Lounge 4 10-10-2006 17:26
Getting back at scammers Liam Leisure Lounge 3 27-01-2006 01:16
scammers. christopher watson Leisure Lounge 4 02-11-2005 18:27