Register Login
The UK's No.1 Chrysler Owners Forum
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2012   #16
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 3,759
Thanks: 241
Trader Rating: 0
loveshandbags has donated!
Ireland 
Re: TwinAir oil and filter change

Quote Originally Posted by ahmett View Post
3.2 l for the TA
Are you sure that's right for a 875cc engine with a turbo ?
A 1368cc takes 2.9L and a T-jet takes 3.3L.
But if that's what's listed in the handbook...
__________________
Still a 500 enthusiast.
loveshandbags is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 06-02-2012   #17
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 4,178
Thanks: 80
Trader Rating: 0
Greece 
Re: TwinAir oil and filter change

Quote Originally Posted by loveshandbags View Post
Are you sure that's right for a 875cc engine with a turbo ?
A 1368cc takes 2.9L and a T-jet takes 3.3L.
But if that's what's listed in the handbook...

Thats what it said on mobil 1 when asking what oil to put and which engine type it is.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

ahmett is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 06-02-2012   #18
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 2,077
Thanks: 117
Trader Rating: 0
bgunn has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: TwinAir oil and filter change

He's correct, it's 2.8 in the sump, but 3.2l including filter. Handbook says so..
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

bgunn is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 06-02-2012   #19
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 3,759
Thanks: 241
Trader Rating: 0
loveshandbags has donated!
Ireland 
Re: TwinAir oil and filter change

Quote Originally Posted by ahmett View Post
Thats what it said on mobil 1 when asking what oil to put and which engine type it is.
Quote Originally Posted by bgunn View Post
He's correct, it's 2.8 in the sump, but 3.2l including filter. Handbook says so..
I checked the Multi-air of the 1368cc and it's 3.4L and for the MA with the turbo it's 3.5L (this is for the 'Engine sump and filter').

The sump only figues between a standard 1368cc and a Multi-air 1368cc is 2.75L verus 3.1L. These figures are the same for NA and boosted engines.

So an engine in multi-air form takes a lot more oil that the standard one. There's probably a technical explanation for it.
__________________
Still a 500 enthusiast.
loveshandbags is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 06-02-2012   #20
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 2,077
Thanks: 117
Trader Rating: 0
bgunn has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: TwinAir oil and filter change

Yup, you need to fill the hydraulics for the valve actuation, and I suspect there's probably a reserve of oil to always ensure the valve train gets a good air free oil supply..
Thanks loveshandbags thanked for this post
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

bgunn is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 01-03-2012   #21
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 60
Thanks: 5
Trader Rating: 0
nemchenk has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: TwinAir oil and filter change

Finally got round to talking to my dealer -- Chris Howells from Glyn Hopkin Buckhurst Hill -- who said that it would NOT invalidate the warranty if I performed the oil and filter change myself, provided I used geniune parts So I think I know what I will be doing this weekend!
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

nemchenk is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 01-03-2012   #22
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 3,632
Thanks: 237
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: TwinAir oil and filter change

Quote Originally Posted by nemchenk View Post
Finally got round to talking to my dealer -- Chris Howells from Glyn Hopkin Buckhurst Hill -- who said that it would NOT invalidate the warranty if I performed the oil and filter change myself, provided I used geniune parts So I think I know what I will be doing this weekend!
Get him to confirm that in writing (an email will do) and keep it safe....
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

RobinPJ is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 01-03-2012   #23
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Berkshire, UK
Posts: 1,264
Thanks: 77
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: TwinAir oil and filter change

My TA is at the dealer today having a 1-year oil/filter change. I'm paying 120 for it, but it looks like I'm getting a new turbo thrown in - there's a notice out on some cars about it, as has been mentioned here before. Apparently the linkage between the turbo and wastegate can detach, causing power loss. They've given me a courtesy car, so I'm fairly happy.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

TrevC is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 01-03-2012   #24
STOP! Hammer time!
 
306maxi's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: The Welsh Riviera
Posts: 23,716
Thanks: 845
Trader Rating: 0
306maxi has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: TwinAir oil and filter change

Quote Originally Posted by RobinPJ View Post
Get him to confirm that in writing (an email will do) and keep it safe....
That..... but it should be pointed out that the warranty doesn't lie with the dealer, but with Fiat.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

306maxi is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 01-03-2012   #25
Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Dorset
Posts: 8,373
Thanks: 881
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: TwinAir oil and filter change

Quote Originally Posted by TrevC View Post
My TA is at the dealer today having a 1-year oil/filter change. I'm paying 120 for it, but it looks like I'm getting a new turbo thrown in - there's a notice out on some cars about it, as has been mentioned here before. Apparently the linkage between the turbo and wastegate can detach, causing power loss. They've given me a courtesy car, so I'm fairly happy.
I'm glad you're fairly happy, though I don't see how doing a warranty repair to fix something that should have been got right in the factory makes paying 120 for an oil & filter change any more reasonable.
Likes frupi liked this post
__________________


"Just 'cos you're not paranoid, doesn't mean they're not out to get you"

jrkitching is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 01-03-2012   #26
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 3,759
Thanks: 241
Trader Rating: 0
loveshandbags has donated!
Ireland 
Re: TwinAir oil and filter change

Quote Originally Posted by RobinPJ View Post
Get him to confirm that in writing (an email will do) and keep it safe....
If you plan to get the oil filter and oil changed yourself you would be better off with no 'paper' trail. Once a car is under warranty ALL work should either be done by Fiat or a VAT registered garage. Once it is realised that you did the oil change yourself (after all the OP is not a qualified mechanic) should anything 'happen' to the engine Fiat will claim (& rightly so) that they are not responsible since they did not maintain the vehicle. The 'last man on the job' is responsible and that would apply to getting in an electrican that put an electric shower in your house that resulted in an unfortunate consequence.
Replacing like for EXACTLY like is the best way of no one being none the wiser.

Quote Originally Posted by jrkitching View Post
I'm glad you're fairly happy, though I don't see how doing a warranty repair to fix something that should have been got right in the factory makes paying 120 for an oil & filter change any more reasonable.
I can understand why TrevC is happy to pay the 120 - if he had gone to a VAT registered garage he wouldn't be getting the 'free' turbo work done.

TrevC - did you get any notification from the Dealer that work needed to be done ?
__________________
Still a 500 enthusiast.

Last edited by loveshandbags; 01-03-2012 at 14:27. Reason: why
loveshandbags is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 01-03-2012   #27
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Berkshire, UK
Posts: 1,264
Thanks: 77
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: TwinAir oil and filter change

No - I'd booked it in for the oil and filter change for last Saturday, and they were going to do it while I waited. They called me late on Friday to say that there was an outstanding "maintenance campaign" on the car regarding the turbo, and they'd need it for half a day. They were polite and apologetic and arranged for a free courtesy car. The book has now been stamped with the service, and also in the "campaign" section with a reference number. I know they should build it right first time, but these things do happen occasionally, and I don't see how FIAT or the dealer could have dealt with it much better. Apparently if it had failed there would have been a power loss but no damage, and only a small number have actually failed.
Thanks loveshandbags thanked for this post
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

TrevC is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 01-03-2012   #28
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 133
Thanks: 1
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: TwinAir oil and filter change

My first 'free' Fiat service on my 1983 Panda care of Fiat main dealer in Bournemouth was a disaster. They fitted the wrong filter. The filter they fitted had no 'anti drain' rubber seal fitted and overnight the filter drained oil back to the sump so on start up next day you had a lot of big end knocking until the filter filled and injected oil into the galleries. I took all the warranty/servicing work to Fiat Highcliffe and they charged 1 for doing the paperwork.
__________________
Think BIKE....Think BIKER.
Austin Mini is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 01-03-2012   #29
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 3,759
Thanks: 241
Trader Rating: 0
loveshandbags has donated!
Ireland 
Re: TwinAir oil and filter change

Quote Originally Posted by TrevC View Post
No - I'd booked it in for the oil and filter change for last Saturday, and they were going to do it while I waited. They called me late on Friday to say that there was an outstanding "maintenance campaign" on the car regarding the turbo, and they'd need it for half a day. They were polite and apologetic and arranged for a free courtesy car. The book has now been stamped with the service, and also in the "campaign" section with a reference number. I know they should build it right first time, but these things do happen occasionally, and I don't see how FIAT or the dealer could have dealt with it much better. Apparently if it had failed there would have been a power loss but no damage, and only a small number have actually failed.
That's a little disappointing. There was an issue with the MiTo on a drain pipe that had to be replaced so that it wouldn't freeze the belts causing them to snap (it's well documented and IIRC it also affected the GPs). The OH got a letter to get her car in a quick visit to get it sorted about a year ago. There was reports of timing belts freezing from this (rare enough) which resulted in a new or I should say replacement engines. I did check the AA web site and there was no recalls for the 500 TA on this or for the MiTo so I guess it would have to be a safety related one to 'get up there'. It's good that Fiat have a 'campaign section' so that you know that it has been done - it will help anyone looking to buy a TA secondhand particularly if it is outside the warranty period.
__________________
Still a 500 enthusiast.
loveshandbags is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 02-03-2012   #30
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Berkshire, UK
Posts: 1,264
Thanks: 77
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: TwinAir oil and filter change

Apparently the turbo linkage detachment was rare, and the failure mode is power loss, not damage. That's presumably why they leave it until a service is being done. They could have kept quiet and crossed their fingers until the warranty was up, but the fact that they didn't suggests that FIAT are making some attempt to improve reliability/customer satisfaction. That last sentence is bound to start a flurry of responses!
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

TrevC is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Reply
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
(T) Oil consumption after full oil/filter change fivegoldstars Punto (Mk1) 10 11-02-2015 21:22
(T) Oil change, oil filter and the thermostat problems scarfacew3 Stilo 8 17-02-2010 19:30
(G) oil and filter change Brooksy Bravo / Brava 5 04-08-2008 10:05
Oil and Filter Change topcat5 Lets Talk FIAT 4 12-02-2007 11:28