Register Login
Shop4Parts - UK's largest online superstore for FIAT and Alfa Romeo parts
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-08-2015   #1
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 34
Thanks: 0
Trader Rating: 0
Italy 
Runs great cold - Stops when hot

I've been fighting this problem for several weeks now. Initial problem was cold start/running is great. Died after 10-15 minutes. Will not start. If I wait for 15-20 min, starts right up. Will last another 10 minutes. Repeat.

Did the following:
-Resurfaced Carb
-Replace carb spacer & gaskets
-Replace fuel pump
-Replaced points with Pertronix Ignitor (hall effect)
-Replaced coil, cap, and rotor
-Replaced spark plugs - old ones were fouled black
-Replaced mech voltage regulator

After the regulator replacement, the car will continue to drive but has a terrible miss at all speeds. Before the new regulator, the car would miss then die a short time later. The last time out, I drove the car 20 km.

I noticed when I turn on the headlights, the miss gets A LOT worse and the car loses speed. Turn headlights off and there's a noticeable improvement. Miss is still present but not was bad. Could this be a battery or dynamo problem? Aside from the spark plug wires, they are the only things I haven't replaced!
__________________
Sono "Daft muppet"

Last edited by Texas500; 02-08-2015 at 00:16.
Texas500 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 02-08-2015   #2
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Nantwich
Posts: 111
Thanks: 9
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Runs great cold - Stops when hot

Heard of problems with venting of fuel tank causing supply starvation
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

dunnah01 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 02-08-2015   #3
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Cambridge
Posts: 780
Thanks: 65
Trader Rating: 0
stevehg has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Runs great cold - Stops when hot

It looks like you have a few problems at once. I'd start by fixing battery/dynamo issue first.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

stevehg is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 02-08-2015   #4
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Nottingham
Posts: 524
Thanks: 33
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Runs great cold - Stops when hot

Quote Originally Posted by Texas500 View Post
I've been fighting this problem for several weeks now. Initial problem was cold start/running is great. Died after 10-15 minutes. Will not start. If I wait for 15-20 min, starts right up. Will last another 10 minutes. Repeat.

Did the following:
-Resurfaced Carb
-Replace carb spacer & gaskets
-Replace fuel pump
-Replaced points with Pertronix Ignitor (hall effect)
-Replaced coil, cap, and rotor
-Replaced spark plugs - old ones were fouled black
-Replaced mech voltage regulator

After the regulator replacement, the car will continue to drive but has a terrible miss at all speeds. Before the new regulator, the car would miss then die a short time later. The last time out, I drove the car 20 km.

I noticed when I turn on the headlights, the miss gets A LOT worse and the car loses speed. Turn headlights off and there's a noticeable improvement. Miss is still present but not was bad. Could this be a battery or dynamo problem? Aside from the spark plug wires, they are the only things I haven't replaced!
Sounds like a poor earth - body to engine
Likes Paolo66 liked this post
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

GeorgeDamper is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 02-08-2015   #5
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,004
Thanks: 66
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Runs great cold - Stops when hot

I'd check voltage at battery. Start it up and check voltage again. Switch on headlights and check again. If it really drops when you switch on lights you've got a bad earth
Damian
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

Paolo66 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 02-08-2015   #6
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 34
Thanks: 0
Trader Rating: 0
Italy 
Re: Runs great cold - Stops when hot

Quote Originally Posted by dunnah01 View Post
Heard of problems with venting of fuel tank causing supply starvation
Yea, I tried running with the fuel tank cap removed.

Quote Originally Posted by stevehg View Post
It looks like you have a few problems at once. I'd start by fixing battery/dynamo issue first.
Hind sight is 20/20

Quote Originally Posted by Paolo66 View Post
I'd check voltage at battery. Start it up and check voltage again. Switch on headlights and check again. If it really drops when you switch on lights you've got a bad earth
Damian
Thx. I'll give it a try.
__________________
Sono "Daft muppet"
Texas500 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 23-08-2015   #7
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 24
Thanks: 0
Trader Rating: 0
Ireland 
Re: Runs great cold - Stops when hot

if the earth check does not solve the issue...

it could be the wire going to the coil is faulty...when you rev high the voltage going to the coil increases to 14v (or should) the wire may be arching someone along the wire...

i am also assuming you replaced the wire going from the coil to the distributor...these breakdown internally due to heat and age...should be replaced when replacing points....

I did have a car with a similar problem (not 500) where they fitted a switch to immobilise the car for security...the switch was a low amp unit and reduced the current at high speeds to the coil. check the lights are not connected to the wire going to the coil....inlikely but just in case
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

lordsnowy is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Reply
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
(T) EML but runs great MRT Doblo 3 05-02-2014 15:52
(T) engin stops when hot markharrison Multipla 4 06-05-2011 19:15
(T) Engine hot, hoses hot, radiator COLD levets Punto (Mk2/2b) 16 13-04-2010 10:40
(T) heater blows hot or hot... no cold or warm just HOT. Alfizzle Panda (Classic) 14 15-10-2009 21:01
bravo hlx cat c runs great waddo1970 Auction Watch 2 04-11-2008 21:13