Register Login
Shop4Parts - UK's largest online superstore for FIAT and Alfa Romeo parts
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-12-2020   #1
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Trader Rating: 0
Greece 
crack on exhaust mount on crank case

Hi All,

I have a 126/650 engine I have just pulled apart and notice after doing all the work that the engine exhaust mount is broken. on closer inspection the case itself is fine and no visible crack internal. what would people recommend would be the best cause of action to repair this? do I just screw in a stud and mig weld with aluminium ?

I want to use the engine for street use and replace the existing 600 block that's in it today. what are the best bang for bucks to do? I was thinking on oversized piston cylinders, but I don't know what the follow on requirements are for that. eg. cam, drive shaft piston rods..etc
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1069.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	2.61 MB
ID:	214370  
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

mhatzis is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 10-12-2020   #2
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,198
Thanks: 93
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: crack on exhaust mount on crank case

Quote Originally Posted by mhatzis View Post
Hi All,

I have a 126/650 engine I have just pulled apart and notice after doing all the work that the engine exhaust mount is broken. on closer inspection the case itself is fine and no visible crack internal. what would people recommend would be the best cause of action to repair this? do I just screw in a stud and mig weld with aluminium ?

I want to use the engine for street use and replace the existing 600 block that's in it today. what are the best bang for bucks to do? I was thinking on oversized piston cylinders, but I don't know what the follow on requirements are for that. eg. cam, drive shaft piston rods..etc
It is not physically possible to weld a steel stud to aluminium. Fit a suitable M8 coach bolt from the inside. Clean up the outside then build up with something like JB Weld.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

Toshi 975 is online now Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 10-12-2020   #3
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Trader Rating: 0
Greece 
Re: crack on exhaust mount on crank case

Quote Originally Posted by Toshi 975 View Post
It is not physically possible to weld a steel stud to aluminium. Fit a suitable M8 coach bolt from the inside. Clean up the outside then build up with something like JB Weld.
Thanks for your response.

so if I understand correctly drill the case, tap it for extra support, screw an m8 from the inside and build up the broken area on the outside. is gasket silicon ok to use as a seal between the screw head and case on the inside?
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

mhatzis is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 10-12-2020   #4
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,198
Thanks: 93
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: crack on exhaust mount on crank case

Quote Originally Posted by mhatzis View Post
Thanks for your response.

so if I understand correctly drill the case, tap it for extra support, screw an m8 from the inside and build up the broken area on the outside. is gasket silicon ok to use as a seal between the screw head and case on the inside?
Yes that would be the general idea, I had to do a similar thing on one of my engines.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

Toshi 975 is online now Reply With Quote Quote 
Reply
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
(T) Crank case breather probs novatron1_2 Stilo 1 26-07-2010 09:51
(G) Crank Case Ventilation Hose glynn12 Punto (Mk2/2b) 2 30-01-2010 13:52
(T) Crank Case Breather martind Punto (Mk2/2b) 2 20-02-2009 14:55
(T) Crank Case Sensor jowen Multipla 8 17-06-2008 19:58
(T) Crank Case sensor ????? oaksey Marea 4 01-09-2004 16:39