Register Login
The UK's No.1 Chrysler Owners Forum
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 20-08-2019   #1
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Worcestershire
Posts: 8
Thanks: 0
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Unhappy Spider airbag

Went a bit silly last weekend in my 124 Spider and lost it around a roundabout. Back end took a sideways drift and hit the kerb which not only ****** up the suspension but set off the side airbag in the passenger seat where the mrs was sat. (She wasn't impressed! At all!). Anyway - question is - do I need a complete new passenger seat or can a replacement airbag be fitted and the seat be sewn back up? I guessing it's a dealership job anyway with regards to the electrics. Any advice would be appreciated, regarding the repair not my driving.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

Mr Bridger is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 21-08-2019   #2
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Orpington, Kent UK
Posts: 2,896
Thanks: 191
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Spider airbag

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bridger View Post
Went a bit silly last weekend in my 124 Spider and lost it around a roundabout. Back end took a sideways drift and hit the kerb which not only ****** up the suspension but set off the side airbag in the passenger seat where the mrs was sat. (She wasn't impressed! At all!). Anyway - question is - do I need a complete new passenger seat or can a replacement airbag be fitted and the seat be sewn back up? I guessing it's a dealership job anyway with regards to the electrics. Any advice would be appreciated, regarding the repair not my driving.


Iíve done it in a 500. The stitching where the airbag breaks it is weak stitching for obvious reasons. If you unpick it all so you can get to the airbag if itís like the 500 itís held on by 2 10mm nuts. It just pulls away then. Disconnect the electrical connection.

Obviously disconnect the earth of the battery first. You will need to clear any codes in your airbag ECU too and if it has crash data it will need to be sent away to be cleared. Thereís a fella on eBay that does mine for £30.

Not sure if multi ECU Scan covers the Spider yet but if thereís no crash data that will clear the codes and out the airbag light out.

It will cost you an arm and a leg to get this done at a dealers.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

typecastboy is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 21-08-2019   #3
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Norfolk UK
Posts: 9,682
Thanks: 437
Blog Entries: 8
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Spider airbag

As already stated you can get the seat sewn back up but not many 124 spiders about being broken for parts so you may be forced to pay new dealer prices for an airbag which as you'll find out has a tear inducing price, they are genuinely hundreds of pounds.

Typecast boy is the expert on getting crash data cleared as far as this fourm is concerned, you should be able to reuse the computer for the airbag once this is done.

A car upholterers should be able to fix the seat for you and keep the stitching as required should the airbag be ever needed again. The bigest mistake people make is sewing up a seat with too strong a thread or too much stitching and the airbag then won't work properly.

I was looking at a crashed 124 the other day that had a similar accident, bent rear suspension from failing to negociate a corner, on this occasion the wheel had pushed up into the wheel arch and caused some pretty considerable damage to the body work so it sounds like you've got off lightly.
__________________
Maker and voice behind the YouTube channel PuntoHowTo 10k subscribers canít be wrong

And now the owner of a shiny new PuntoHowTo Drivetribe
AndyRKett is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 23-08-2019   #4
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Orpington, Kent UK
Posts: 2,896
Thanks: 191
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Spider airbag

Quote Originally Posted by AndyRKett View Post
As already stated you can get the seat sewn back up but not many 124 spiders about being broken for parts so you may be forced to pay new dealer prices for an airbag which as you'll find out has a tear inducing price, they are genuinely hundreds of pounds.

Typecast boy is the expert on getting crash data cleared as far as this fourm is concerned, you should be able to reuse the computer for the airbag once this is done.

A car upholterers should be able to fix the seat for you and keep the stitching as required should the airbag be ever needed again. The bigest mistake people make is sewing up a seat with too strong a thread or too much stitching and the airbag then won't work properly.

I was looking at a crashed 124 the other day that had a similar accident, bent rear suspension from failing to negociate a corner, on this occasion the wheel had pushed up into the wheel arch and caused some pretty considerable damage to the body work so it sounds like you've got off lightly.


Iím looking at a front damaged Abarth but the lack of available second hand parts is putting me off.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

typecastboy is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 31-08-2019   #5
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Worcestershire
Posts: 8
Thanks: 0
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Spider airbag

Hey Guys
Thanks for your replies.
It is right that there aren't an awful lot of spares for a Spider out there yet but so far I have managed to source what is needed. Rather fortunate!
Typecast Boy - Any chance you can let me know who this fella is on e-bay who clears codes in case of need.


If it costs £22 for a tiny bit of plastic to cover the towing eye recess in the front grille - how much is this little incident going to cost me in total?
Answers on a post-card !!!!!
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

Mr Bridger is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 01-09-2019   #6
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Orpington, Kent UK
Posts: 2,896
Thanks: 191
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Spider airbag

£30 for a 500 but send him a picture of your ecu and heíll send you back a price.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F302574613638
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

typecastboy is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 01-09-2019   #7
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Worcestershire
Posts: 8
Thanks: 0
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Spider airbag

Thanks Buddy
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

Mr Bridger is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 01-09-2019   #8
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Norfolk UK
Posts: 9,682
Thanks: 437
Blog Entries: 8
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Spider airbag

Quote Originally Posted by typecastboy View Post
Iím looking at a front damaged Abarth but the lack of available second hand parts is putting me off.
Not the gray abarth that was advertised on eBay was it?

I seem to think the price for the car was very good given what they sell for in good repair but having looked my self at spare things like the abarth airbag would be a dealer only part at hundreds of pounds, and I couldnít find any abarth front bumpers.

Still a worth while project for someone but a gamble I wasnít will to make.
__________________
Maker and voice behind the YouTube channel PuntoHowTo 10k subscribers canít be wrong

And now the owner of a shiny new PuntoHowTo Drivetribe
AndyRKett is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 01-09-2019   #9
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Orpington, Kent UK
Posts: 2,896
Thanks: 191
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Spider airbag

Yes it was that one. You're right about the airbag but no doubt one will come up on ebay at some point. What was putting me off a bit was not front panel bits, wing, bonnet, bumper etc but things like lights. The only light on ebay was £800, stupid money. How much can they possibly be new.

I will get one at some point, maybe in a couple more years when there are more available and more parts available.

Got to be an Abarth though.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

typecastboy is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 5 Days Ago   #10
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Orpington, Kent UK
Posts: 2,896
Thanks: 191
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Spider airbag

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bridger View Post
Thanks Buddy


Did you get it reset?
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

typecastboy is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 4 Days Ago   #11
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Worcestershire
Posts: 8
Thanks: 0
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Spider airbag

Yes. Eventually got it sorted. Quite a few people had a look at it but couldn't get in. Because it is only 3 years old the technology (so I am told) is very good and extremely difficult to get in to. Obviously the manufacturers don't want anyone to be able to get in them. They would rather bin it, programme a new one for you and charge you the earth in the process. Anyway it was sent off to some dude in Liverpool who did a cracking job. Sorted it. Just need the wheel refurbished now. Serviced and MOT'd in the last week. Good as new. Thanks for all your help and guidance guys. Forum's a guddun
Likes typecastboy liked this post
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

Mr Bridger is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Reply
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump