Technical '86 Bertone X 1/9 fails water intrusion test -- pls. help locate bad seals

Currently reading:
Technical '86 Bertone X 1/9 fails water intrusion test -- pls. help locate bad seals

rinaldocantabile

I figured the best way to find out if my newly-acquired '86 Bertone X 1/9 had water intrustion problems was to subject it to a good rain. We got one last night and the results were mixed. Top is great, seats are dry, but:

1. water pooled in floorboard area on passenger side. Much less on driver's side. Passenger side window does not seal tightly BUT there is very little water streaking that would indicate the water cascaded down from the window. I saw some water dripping through the interior door release, but most of the wetness is at floor level. Almost seems like water is getting in at door/body junction near front wheel. Ideas?

2. Water intrusion in both left and right wells of rear mini-trunk. This would seem to be easier to solve, maybe just the seals that frame the trunk where it contacts the car body?

thanks for any assistance, car cover goes back on tonight.

cheers

1) A familiar story - I had this problem on mine when I first got it. The rain water was driving against the passenger side mirror and pouring in through the mechanism behind the mirror glass and then dripping out of the interior adjustment arm onto the floor below.

I dismantled the whole lot and blobbed a load of grease in the part where the control wires pass from the back of the mirror through to the interior. Not had the problem since.

2) Yes, sounds like seals.

Hope you manage to fix it before the next rain storm !

Chris,

thanks so much for the tips, I really appreciate the quick response. I'll get a look at it this evening and report back.

cheers

Back