Technical lancia 1.6 hf turbo into a X1/9

Currently reading:
Technical lancia 1.6 hf turbo into a X1/9

ghilotina

I saw many detailed 2l TC engine swaps but never a 1.6 turbo swap. I found a complete 1.6 lancia hf motor an i am wondering if it is worth trying to put it into my x. Would i use the Lancia gerbox also? Any help would be apreciated because the engine is a bargaind and I dont want to lose it.

It was done many years ago by a friend of mine (anyone know what happened to Theo Chan? or his car?) and it was exceptionally quick.

It had two problems though

First of all the gear linkage was terrible and needed constant repair

Second the engine would catch fire on long journeys making an on-board fire extinguisher a real necessity

Both of these problems are relatively easy to overcome but need particular attention.

If you've solved the linkage for the 2l twink then you have solved that issue already. The overheating/catching fire is obviously more serious but illustrates the subtle lack of adequate air flow around the engine and the need for stopping any oil leaks. I do not believe this is likely to be a consistent problem with the engine or the installation but it is worth stopping to think about.

I forgot to mention that the engine i found is 140hp version(fuel injection).

what about the driveshafts and the gearbox, whitch ones should I use?

ghilotina said:
what about the driveshafts and the gearbox, whitch ones should I use?

The lancia 1.6 hf has a very nice gearbox but the internals are not compatible with the montecarlo box so you can't easily swap the gear linkage around (hence my comments above about dodgy linkages).

In terms of reliability I am pretty sure the montecarlo box would prove the better option although it would need occasional maintenance.

Alternatively adapt the X1/9 box but don't expect it to last particularly long

Choice of driveshafts is primarily down to what will fit. A set of custom made-to-fit driveshafts (and cv joints) would only cost around £500 if you want to do the job properly...

Peekaboo!(y)

Hi ghilotina,
Did you ever manage the transplant?

Yes, the gear linkage was certainly an issue, as it was on a direct mechanical link that went under the vehicle. I would drive that by wire now.

Lol... jimbro, yes, the Cherborg flambee eh? :D Those were the good ol days when rusty screwdrivers were really rusty screwdrivers! No, the firewall got saturated by an oil leak from the oil cooler pipe union, and with the turbocharger right under there... yeup, you guessed it! The moral to that tale was...'Never saturate your firewall with oil!' :)

She passed her MOT in 2000? Poor ol girl's still sitting in the barn!

B Regards to all!

Theo

Yeup! :D Still on the farm... but dem hosses r costin me a fortune! Lol... Still looking at the rats' nest with pride! Lol....

Oh, Ghilotina... use... Lancia shafts, machined to X hubs! They're much stronger... and plenty of superglue for those nuts!

hi i have 79 1.5 x19 and was wonderin which engine is easier to fit, a lancia 1.6 turbo or uno turbo into x19 as a friend of mine has just got a 1.6turbo :complete car: wit the bigends gone and i know of uno engine, any info on fittin these powerplants would be a great help. thanks:confused:

The Mk1 Uno Turbo is far and away the easiest option since it is essentially the same head and block. Pretty much everything just bolts in (but not quite).

The 1.6 turbo engine by comparison harder to fit and you need to modify almost everything to make it work.

Lol... had to loose the fuel tank for starters... needless to say had to find ALOT of room for the 1600 HFie lump! I would'nt do it again! Lesson learnt!:eek:

Hi,
I went down to K20 road as I considered this to be the perfect engine for this car. Any rear turbo engine will always have problems with overheating when mounted in the X and there will always be a lot of cutting and welding.

Hi!

Do You have any pictures of this transplant?
Or maybe somebody else has done same?

If you mean the Honda k20 conversion then look on xweb as its more popular in the USA and there is more information there.

In Europe you have the later lampredi engines from the uno turbo, tipo, marea punto gt, punto sporting 8v and later stilo 16v... which are i think cheaper, easier to fit but a little less powerful.

For me it's not all about power. A turbo complicates things too much. I'd target have 100 odd hp NA. More reliable and uses a lot less fuel too... bit it's down to what you want.

For 100 hp you can try the Bravo/Brava/Palio 1.6 16V. Supposed to be the same block. Should be easier than fitting a turbocharged twin cam, and a few people have done it.

Back