Technical fiat x19 headlight motor problem

Currently reading:
Technical fiat x19 headlight motor problem

markmills2000uk

basically the one side wasnt working,i played around with it and found if i put a positive to one of the wires on the motor when its unpluged to the rest of the car the motor spins and the light goes up and down without stopping,so i conected the motor back up to the car,played around a bit more and now neither side will work but if i do that thing with the one wire the motor does go,

what could the problem be,

A common fault is with the diodes on the motor. They are 1N4004 or 1N4007, general purpose silicon diodes, and you find them on the outside of the motor casing, semi-sealed in green stuff (like Loctite). Dig them out and you'll probably find that one of the diode legs will fall off. They're cheap to replace and it gives you a good starting point.

You also need to check the fuses. Early-80s X1/9s (with the ceramic fuses) have two very small ceramic fuses for the motors. Later X1/9s with the normal translucent blade fuses have normal fuses for the motors.

It is very important with either type that the relays are correct. If you've been swapping relays around, there's a good chance that they're now the wrong type! Some relays are 'double throw', while the others are 'single throw'. The single type have two terminals connected together on the base, both labelled 87a. Do not use these relays for the headlight motors - you need the double-throw type for the system to work. Check with a multimeter if necessary, to make sure that one contact is normally-closed and the other contact is normally-open.

-Alex

ok there are two diodes on each motor,i got the diodes but what way round do i put them in

A common fault is with the diodes on the motor. They are 1N4004 or 1N4007, general purpose silicon diodes, and you find them on the outside of the motor casing, semi-sealed in green stuff (like Loctite). Dig them out and you'll probably find that one of the diode legs will fall off. They're cheap to replace and it gives you a good starting point.

You also need to check the fuses. Early-80s X1/9s (with the ceramic fuses) have two very small ceramic fuses for the motors. Later X1/9s with the normal translucent blade fuses have normal fuses for the motors.

It is very important with either type that the relays are correct. If you've been swapping relays around, there's a good chance that they're now the wrong type! Some relays are 'double throw', while the others are 'single throw'. The single type have two terminals connected together on the base, both labelled 87a. Do not use these relays for the headlight motors - you need the double-throw type for the system to work. Check with a multimeter if necessary, to make sure that one contact is normally-closed and the other contact is normally-open.

-Alex
hi Alex can you show me the 2 types of relays thanks Alessio

Back