General Hi All... Advice welcome

Currently reading:
General Hi All... Advice welcome

chippy

I have just stumbled onto this Website. It looks great.....

I made a decision to buy a X 1 / 9 after reading a review in the Independent last Tuesday. Anyway I searched autotrader and a few others and then stumbled on Ebay. I bought a FX 19 off a chap in London. I know very little about cars but tried to ask all the right questions and gave it a good test drive. Anyway the problems.....

On the way back from London the cable from the Alternator to the Battery burnt away. The AA towed me back to the garage where they have got it back on the road with a new cable for a minimal charge. They are also going to give the car a service for me.

The problem is that they are not use what caused the cable to burn away in the first instance. I am worried that it will happen on my next trip. Anyone got any ideas...

P.S. I know buying a car on Ebay was a little stupid...

Regards

Chippy

Last edited:
Hi there chippy, sorry to hear you havent got off to a good start with your car :(

I wouldnt worry about buying a car off ebay too much. I bought my coupe off there :)

Sorry i cant help with your question but i am sure there are some guys on here can (y)

first off welcome to the site.....second there could be any number of reasons that it burned. it could have a short, could have be against something very hot, its old!, all the above. but about the car you bought what yr, type, engine, carb or FI, etc....? any way have you noticed any severe rust on the car....thats probably the biggest issue w/ X's. some key area's include shock tower mounts, door skins, sills, trunk, window frame,hood,all corners,structural supports under the car, rockers,door jabs........i know this may seem like a lot, and may seem kinda grim, but it can get worse ;) if the body is in good order, most / but not all the time the mechanicals are in good order too so if its not broke dont fix it yet. drive the car (top off for real fun) for a good week and dont baby it, but dont dog the crap outta it either and you'll find out what it may need in that time. one thing i would bank on even if it look okay is replace the timing belt. then ya know the other stuff that you should do w/ any car purchase, like change the oil, tires (if applicable),filters-oil/fuel/air, change the spark plugs,& wires check timing w/ new belt on,replace any burned out bulbs etc..... X1/9's are great fun, and if takencare of are very reliable, and have a fun factor, that several of my Ferrari owning friends say their cars can't even match....Ferrari's !!!!!! again welcome to the family

Last edited:
Hi

Thanks for the welcome

Heres the motor......

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=9843&item=4628864158

I am picking it up from the garage this afternoon. I really enjoyed the journey from London to Junction 8 M40 where it broke down. I had a big grin all the way!!!

I hope it is nothing serious.

I thought the car looked a reasonable buy? I suppose I will have to see have it runs

Regards

Chippy

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
If they've replaced the big fat cable from the alternator then the odds are that most of your problems are solved already. The cable normally corrodes internally of the sleeve resulting in a gradual increase in resistance over the years and less voltage where it counts.

If the cable went right at the alternator end I would hazard a guess and say it is purely down to fatigue and the constant heating from the exhaust (who put the manifold right next to the alternator?). What normally happens is that the cable snaps or burns out and is then fixed by adding a new connector to the end - unfortunately as the cable gets shorter it starts to put more tension on the wire causing it to snap again.

You also find that the rather useful heat-shield for the back of the alternator goes missing - usually because the alternator has worn out and been replaced with a pattern item with different bolt fixings.

The window motors are likely just suffering from poor earthing and reduced voltage supply (see above), getting the supply back to normal usually fixes the issue.

Getting the timing belt done is essential - make sure it gets done as part of the service (if it isn't already too late). Also make sure they get the automatic choke working - it will be ok if the coolant is kept at the proper ratio of antifreeze but if a previous owner has skimped then the feed pipes will be furred up and the autochoke borderline at best. All easily fixed but hassle if you want to drive the car without throughly warming it up first.

jimbro1000 said:
Getting the timing belt done is essential - make sure it gets done as part of the service (if it isn't already too late). Also make sure they get the automatic choke working - it will be ok if the coolant is kept at the proper ratio of antifreeze but if a previous owner has skimped then the feed pipes will be furred up and the autochoke borderline at best. All easily fixed but hassle if you want to drive the car without throughly warming it up first.

Thanks so much. What a great site this is!

The cable was snapped at the end near the alternator. I will check that the timing belt has been looked at and the automatic choke is working. If it is too late this time I will take it into another garage when I have a chance

The previous owner advised me to press the acclerator a couple of times before I started the engine - is this right? Will it not flood the engine? I suppose getting the autochoke fixed will solve this?

Regards

Chippy

chippy said:
Thanks so much. What a great site this is!

The cable was snapped at the end near the alternator. I will check that the timing belt has been looked at and the automatic choke is working. If it is too late this time I will take it into another garage when I have a chance

The previous owner advised me to press the acclerator a couple of times before I started the engine - is this right? Will it not flood the engine? I suppose getting the autochoke fixed will solve this?

It isn't a fully automatic choke - they refer to it as a semi-automatic choke. The correct start process for a cold engine is to depress the throttle pedal twice. This primes the cylinders *and* resets the choke mechanism. Don't worry too much about flooding.

If this is what the PO told you then it is likely that the autochoke is still working which is very good news

Thanks

I am picking it up from the garage this morning and I will be taking it for a spin.

I will let you know how I get on.

Regards

Chippy

Hi

Just got it back from the garage. Looks OK overall just a couple of issues

1. Small oil leak from the oil pump - gagarge guy said may need new one
2. Break Pads and Very Low

Nice to get back in the car

Regards

Chippy

Lucky you.......

I am still waiting for the X1/9 to show up....:mad:

Still waiting....and waiting....and waiting......:(

I can only dream at the moment...but the weather is being beautiful at the moment...nice evening sunny days...just right for showing off in the X....(y)

but......:bang: ....No X Yet !!!!!

Nice to hear your ride is back again...

Anyways......

The old Honda will have to put up with my backside for a bit more...:yuck:

George

Just had 45 minutes through the Cotswolds on a sunny Spring evening.....(y) (y)

Back