General New here, just bought an X1/9

Currently reading:
General New here, just bought an X1/9

heavy_t

Hi,

I'm new on here. I've just bought a bertone X1/9. It's in VGC and smells of Waxoyl. Here is a pic:

654377493_l.jpg

I don't have a garage so my intention is to use this car daily through the summer and sell it on to an enthusiast with a garage in September (ish). Unfortunately the amount of salt they throw on the roads over the winter months in MK means that it will have to go when the weather turns. I've had it three days now and can't stop driving around in it (any excuse will do).

The car seems to have been well cared for throughout its life. It has a brand new carb, electronic ignition and larger carb jets so I'm not sure whether bhp is slightly up on standard. I might buy a K&N filter for it as well.

Beautiful! :)

And, just to really confuse things, your car has the Gran Finale wheels but not the rear wing.

My '88 Mica-red Bertone (presumably SE) has the earlier holed-wheels AND the rear wing.

Seriously nice though, in that pic. I bet it doesn't have the rust bubbles under the windscreen that mine does. Or, the rust bubbles in the door bottoms...

I've done a couple of mods to mine that make a huge difference to the electrical system. I ran a wire direct from the alternator to the brown wire connection in the fuse tray. This solved the dimly-glowing no-charge light problem (only visible at night) but it also made the windows and wipers faster.

The other mod I made was to add a relay for the low-beam headlights (this is after my headlight switch melted after I upgraded the bulbs to 90/100W.) I did this by putting a relay socket in the empty space on the left side of the fuse tray. It provides the feed to the headlight fuses (I just removed the wire from the back of the headlight fuse, used it to activate the relay coil, grounded the other side of the relay coil, took the power to the relay contacts from the brown wire connection via an in-line fuse, and ran another wire from the 87 relay contact back to the headlight fuse - simple :))

Even if you don't need the first mod, the second mod would probably be useful if you're keen on driving at night.

I wonder how much you paid... anything less than two grand would have been a bargain!

Cheers,
-Alex

......come on... lets be real...your driving the car alot, not because its new, but bec its fun as hell. and your already dreding selling it, and having second thoughts. so why dont you just relax about the rust, drive the wheels off the thing, till fall, then rent 10x20 storage building, and roll it in there and put on jack-stands for the winter(if you dont empty the fluids out, then you must go 1nc a wk to start car and let run for 15min)(leave the door open on the building;) ) ive done this, and for my $65-75 a month rent for the building it was well worth it !

its like clock work i tell ya....;) your hooked!.....if nt give it a few days -week then you will be! your in UK right? if so what the weather like? have you had the top off?...well...it doesnt matter if it nice out ,i reccon, take the top off, and ride anyway, and if its still cold, roll up the windows and turn the heat on. oh by the way, would you like to join a great X1/9 forum im in?, this ones dead lately., i just check it every few days.

:( Hi,

What's the other X1/9 forum you talk about...you're right..this site seems to be a bit 'slow' ....shame really...I like the interface :) :rolleyes:

Thanks,

George

Xeb disscusion fourm.....i know you know the one...if youve ever searched for anything X1/9 related you've come across it. ...its the one thats all green, and at the top it has a green X , a pair of cromadoras,and another X.....the reason im describing it is because if you type in your search feild "xweb" you can find it, but i think its called "xana" too. ive been on there for a month or so, and love it every one is very nice and alot of them are racers, and all are owners so it helps....have fun and tell them Mike E sent you'll have alot of fun

i almost forgot xweb is not as fast as live chat, but if you wait 10-15 min somone will reply most of the time faster than that, they also offer a live chat room but its often emty, so its best to arange a session. good luck and i'll see ya there

Tiff's right the only reason i havent is i live in the states and cant go to the club events........you should join as many as you can, im on 2-3 now and have redgistered my car and info on several sites

Back