Tuning 1974 Brake Issues

Currently reading:
Tuning 1974 Brake Issues

Shadoobie

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum and I've just purchased my first X1/9, a 1974 with 54k miles. It seems to be in exceptional shape with zero rust. However, the brake pedal was totally flat when I bought it. I assumed the master cylinder was at fault as the car had been sitting for a couple years and replaced it as soon as I got the car home. I had trouble getting pressure on the front calipers, and I eventually had to take the caliper off and use a guitar string to break the filth loose from inside the line. I bled all the rust and filth from the system until the fluid ran clear, and I have since replaced the pads, but the brakes are still extremely weak. I've found that the right caliper is locking up under intense braking, and I'm trying to figure out what I should do next. Any help is appreciated.

Hi & welcome! I'm pretty sure you'd want to replace the flexi hoses and rebuild the calipers? As they are alloy the pistons may/will be corroded?

You might want to get the discs refinished or replaced also if they are in rough shape?

Last edited:
Thank you for the response! I was thinking the same. I rebuilt the two front calipers and the pistons and bore were totally corrosion free, but still filled with gunk. The seals were also heavily compromised. After reinstallation, they feel better, but still weak. The hoses are flowing freely with no leaks, but the rubber on the outside is cracked in places and the discs are pretty rough. I have new ones on the way while I do some suspension work.

Remember it doesn't have a brake servo/power brakes so if your used to modern car brakes they might feel a bit different. The pedal needs pushing harder...

Remember it doesn't have a brake servo/power brakes so if your used to modern car brakes they might feel a bit different. The pedal needs pushing harder...

I appreciate the response, but my first and only car before this one is a Fiat spider 2000 with identical brakes, so I have at least some idea of how they should feel lol. With my foot to the floor I can barely manage a squeak of the tires. I have discovered in a test drive yesterday that my two rear calipers and locking up.. off to rebuild them as well! The fun never ends, as they say.

For more stopping ability try something like ebc green stuff or similar. I fitted these to my esprit to good effect.

I considered a pad upgrade, but I've also read on the forums that it doesn't make a ton of difference with stock brakes in a street setting. Anyone else's input is appreciated. Brakes are a priority for me.

I have tried Green and Red stuff pads on Esprit. The Red ones were awesome on a track day but no better than standard when cold. The Green pads I found offered better performance all round using standard discs. EBC also offer better discs too.

Update! Rear brakes now rebuilt. The car stops a ton better than before, but it's still a bit lacking to me. I'd say I'm about 75% there. I haven't replaced the rotors yet, but they are really rough. The surface seems consistent, but rust is creeping in from the edges and is about half an inch onto the front of the rotor. Would this be killing my stopping power? Will post photos when I can.

It wont be helping as the brakes don't have a massive contact area - as its only a lightweight car. It might be cost effective to have them machined / refinished? but new disks might be cheap enough.

If you have fitted new pads it might just take a little while for the pads to bed-in.

check out Eric The Car Guys brake lathe on youtube...

Back