Technical Parasitic drain

Currently reading:
Technical Parasitic drain

EppieCalvin

I am an X1/9 newbie and trying to get a 1985 restored. this is my first project car since highschool MANY years ago. I am having an issue with a parasitic drain. I was able to identify that my alternator is bad and isn't recharging the battery but I also have a drain that is killing the battery overnight.

I have checked the fuse panel that is on under the dash on the passenger side and could not the culprit. Is there another fuse panel somewhere within the car that I am not aware of or any suggestions on where to start? Could a bad starter cause this drain as well?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Have you checked the radio fitted has no l.e.ds or anything if it's a modern one. Fiats have the radio supply constant and it catches a lot of people out. I bought a seicento with a cd player which used power even when the fascia was removed! There are no other fuses unless your usa spec fuel injection/ecu has any.

Unfortunately, it is the original 1985 radio/cassette player. one of the big reasons that I bought this one was that it was still all original and VERY low miles, 46k. no aftermarket parts. I will try to check the starter again to see if that is my hold up...

Unfortunately, it is the original 1985 radio/cassette player. one of the big reasons that I bought this one was that it was still all original and VERY low miles, 46k. no aftermarket parts. I will try to check the starter again to see if that is my hold up...

Hi, :)
frustrating..:bang:
use this guide..,
https://www.fiatforum.com/punto-mk2...alternator-parasitic-drain-testing-guide.html
it may be a bad connection to the starter.. but more likely from a lighting ciricuit.,
charlie

Hi best bet is to start with the basics remove the positive battery lead over night and see if it is okay in the morning chance is it could be a bad battery, do this for a few days as sometimes the battery will stay good, if all okay leave it connected pull all of the fuses and see what happens if it stays okay replace a quarter of the fuses and work you way through when you find the batch that is causing the problem then one at a time
Hope this helps

Hi best bet is to start with the basics remove the positive battery lead over night and see if it is okay in the morning chance is it could be a bad battery, do this for a few days as sometimes the battery will stay good, if all okay leave it connected pull all of the fuses and see what happens if it stays okay replace a quarter of the fuses and work you way through when you find the batch that is causing the problem then one at a time
Hope this helps
yeahthat.gif

Robert G8RPI

Back