Technical 1300 USA Engine Upgrade

Currently reading:
Technical 1300 USA Engine Upgrade

mully006

Hello,

Newbie here. My friends and I just bought a 1977 X1/9 to enter in the 24 Hour LeMons race. We do not know if it runs so that is our first priority but I am already thinking about adding more power, I am looking to make around 200hp. Here is what I am considering and I was wondering what people's thoughts were or if they had any suggestions.

1. Uno Turbo Swap. I have done some reading and this is what everyone recommends and looks like the easiest, however I am in the USA and I do not think that any Uno's were imported. If anyone has a running motor that they want to sell me for $200 let me know, but I doubt it so this is out.

2. I read in a post that I could bolt on the 1.5L head to lower the compression ratio and then I could mount the supercharger from a mini and change the carb out to a Weber 40-42 DCOE. This is a very attractive option because I could probably do it in my ~$200 budget. Has anyone done this and made it work?

3. Full engine swap. I read that I could put in a Honda B engine or a K20 but they are very expensive. I would love to swap with something weird like maybe a turbo 5 cylinder from a Volvo. I do not care about modding the rear trunk so the sky is the limit. What do you do about the drive-train and wheels? IS there anything that will bolt up?

4. Swap in some kind of bike engine. This would be interesting, but it might be hard to work out.

Also does any one know the top speed of the 4 speed on the stock tires. And the stock tire size. I would like to calculate the change in top speed if I put on some larger wheels. Thanks in advance for the advice, any tips would be appreciated, I'm just trying to gather info now.

-James

How many cars brake down during Lemons? If I where to enter I'd first get thd car reliable on the road.

Consider fitting a 1500. Perhaps some bike carbs if you want to go for it.

Engine swaps are a lot of work and take a long time to refine. I know from experience ☺

Last edited:
What about adding a nitrous oxide system?

It is an endurance race so NOS is out because we do not have the budget to run nos for 24 hours. It is also probably a no-no in terms of the rules.

How many cars brake down during Lemons? If I where to enter I'd first get thd car reliable on the road.

Consider fitting a 1500. Perhaps some bike carbs if you want to go for it.

Engine swaps are a lot of work and take a long time to refine. I know from experience ☺

Our plan is to get it running well first and then see what we can do. I just think that 75hp or the ~90hp ish from the 1500 will be enough to keep us competitive.

From the little I have seen of the race most people brake down ☺. But i must admit I know nothing about it really. Shame we haven't got anything similar here in the UK.

Think of the English mini keeping up with the big boys back in the 60's. The spectacle can still be witnessed at the Goodwood revival.

The 1. 4 turbo from the 500 abarth can also be fitted but it's a lot of work. Have you done an engine conversion before?

If I were to enter I'd keep it simple. Fewer things to fail and go wrong. Fewer spare parts needed and less stress on the rest of the car.

The x1/9 would be quick in the corners at least.. and they only put 1600cc 16v engines in the competition cars back in the day:

http://www.sportingfiatsclub.com/models/icsunonove/icsunonove.asp

Rextreme_Cars_Fiat-X19.jpg

Make It look like this and scare the opposition.

Last edited:
Back