Technical Shifter assembly broken?

Currently reading:
Technical Shifter assembly broken?

vchurchill

So I just bought a 1978 Fiat X1/9. The shift knob was garbage and I was gonna put on an original one, so I wanted to take it off. I looked on some forums and was advised to unscrew it. I tried. There was a lot of resistance but I pushed past that. All of a sudden the entire shift assembly went wobbly and there was no resistance, all gears were lost. I unscrewed the bolts holding the shift assembly in place and found what you see in the attachments.

There is a white plastic piece still hooked to shift rod (I think that's what this rod is?) and then a white plastic piece on the shifter assembly still. Does anyone know if these are supposed to be fused?

This would make sense I guess, since I can put the metal rod back in the white plastic hooked to the shift rod and when I screw in the bolts again I can even shift gears, but I could still pretty much pull it right out. I'm not gonna drive it like that since obviously if that came out while driving it would be very dangerous.

Do you think I'll need a new shifter assembly? If so, does anyone have experience removing the pin holding that last white plastic piece on? It's hard to get at and seems tough.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 4334413-ASSY-U8.jpg
    4334413-ASSY-U8.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 77
  • 20150630_195706.jpg
    20150630_195706.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 40
  • 20150630_195746.jpg
    20150630_195746.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 39
You'll need two hands to remove the clip holding the pin. Remove the handbrake to have a second acess.

You'll need two hands to remove the clip holding the pin. Remove the handbrake to have a second acess.

Not my experience. I just repaired mine, but to get access I took the lollipop linkage of at the gearbox. Then I could just raise the rod to the stick enough to have it above the hole in the pedestal.

Now I can find the gears again.

I replaced the "Lollipop" between the gearbox and connection rod to the stick. The hole at the gearbox end had become much to big. See picture

Meanwhile I still had a sluggish shift, so I took the stick up and found that the linkage between the stick and connection rod just had a - relationship. The nylon were oval and the axel is 10mm.
What to do on a sunday?
Well - actually my wife found a set of moped rollers in my sons pile of moped spares.
Found such two with inside hole of 10 mm. The lenght were adjusted to fit the nylon on the stick.
The outer layer was cut of and the oval hole was gently made a 13mm in the nylon (be careful!). At last the brass bushings were pressed in and the gearshift was assembled.
As good as new. :)

Attachments

• Bushing for stick.GIF
    Bushing for stick.GIF
    76.8 KB · Views: 26
  • Prepare repair.GIF
    Prepare repair.GIF
    101.1 KB · Views: 29
  • Lollipops.GIF
    Lollipops.GIF
    89.6 KB · Views: 25
Back