General Tron wheels

Currently reading:
General Tron wheels

purf

Established member
I have had rfx revolutions fitted to my 85 X recently. I have always been aware that they seemed heavy for a 13" wheel so I thought it would be a good idea to weigh them...

20150317_133140_zpsdca112a1.jpg

I've also temporally been running a slightly smaller tyre 165 55 13 rather than the stock 165 70 13.

The revolution wheels look really good and suit the car but they require 10mm spacers and long bolts. The wheels are from an Alfa 33 and were a dealer option I believe.

The Cromadora Tron wheels weighed 10kg each including the stock tyre which seems pretty good. The rfx wheels weighed 13.4kg each. Then the spacers which are delta mics steel hubcentric weigh 1. 4kg each!

So the revolutions were 18.2kg heavier - unsprung weight without taking into account the longer wheel bolts. Almost as much as carrying two spare Tron wheels with tyres!

Or almost 5kg per corner! I know the rfx wheels were used for rallying Fords etc. Why so heavy? I had some gtv style 15s from a 146 which were also bloody heavy...

Last edited:
You partially answered your own question .Rally rims are generally heavier than race ones.Think about the surfaces a rally car is "flying over" during gravel rally like Acropolis ,and then compare with smooth tarmac on the track. I had PLS Hockenheim 8x13 -5mm offset race wheels few years ago and have bent one outer ring only because I used one of them, as a "chair" while polishing the other three wheels;). I am 100 kg guy, but still... they are fragile:(

ps:
I am not sure which model of cromodoras you are talkng about, but some original x1/9 wheels were magnesium, not alloy wheels, significantly lighter than aftermarket wheels like revolutions. I had a set of 4 spokes revolution wheels and they were heavy indeed, and not very well made.

Last edited:
Back